Wild Dancing Thanksgivng Turkey "flexible hours" trap. - Single Parents Forum: Single Family Voices
All forums, topics and discussions are geared to single parents and the issues faced with single parenting.
Support a single parent today and one will support you back!

Go Back   Single Parents Forum: Single Family Voices >
(``'·.¸(``'·.¸ Single Parent Mothers ¸.·'´´)¸.·'´´)
> Single Moms

~ Donate Today ~ PLEASE

Old 03-23-2015, 01:03 AM   #1
artsy mom Female
On the Board

artsy mom is a glorious beacon of lightartsy mom is a glorious beacon of light
Default "flexible hours" trap.

Not sure where to put this.

Many employers shine this "flexible hours" term around in their job postings and this is targeted towards parents, especially single parents, and students. It's supposed to convey that there are options on when you want to work based around your home schedule and if you have to miss a shift, it's not a big deal, you can make it up another time, when it's convenient.

Reality check. The term "flexible hours" is another deceptive coined term made up by companies. I have worked at companies that have promised this and it isn't possible for a parent to hold down a job with such erratic, uncertain hours. At this one big chain coffee place I worked at, the schedule was changed weekly. Some weeks, I had one day off and others, nothing. I would be called in in such short notice, early in the morning to open the store because I lived nearby and no one else wanted to show up for their shift. There were times I had to bring my daughter to work with me, and work alone, watching her to make sure she wasn't coloring on the walls and staying there, all the while customers were giving me evil eyes and complaining about how long I was taking. (Mind you, if you knew the big chain I'm talking about, you would understand this is normal. They just care about their order and nothing else. Not even a man having a seizure in the middle of the store that I had to attend to was of concern to them.) When I split with my ex. I wasn't fired, but sort of laid off or forced to quit because the fact I became a single mom. Great. Just when I needed a job more than ever my company doesn't want to deal with me. I was the most reliable employee, hard working.

But anyways, the whole point of flexible hours is so the employers can move around shifts to fit their own purposes.

Right now, the job I work at now allows us to pick the days and hours we want from the choices they provide. Still doesn't help when it's only evenings and weekends. I have grown to realize that a stable, day job, Mon-Fri., is more ideal to me. Parents who have kids in daycare typically only have daytime hours for them work. Static hours are best for parents, really. There is no stability in or guarantees with "flexible hours". Even if you have a teen, it's worse. If your employer knows you have a teenager then they use that information against you by pressuring you to work odd hours, thinking your teen will be just fine being home alone all week.
artsy mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 02:51 PM   #2
Dad1st4boys Male
Failure is not an Option.

Dad1st4boys Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportDad1st4boys Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportDad1st4boys Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportDad1st4boys Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportDad1st4boys Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportDad1st4boys Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportDad1st4boys Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportDad1st4boys Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportDad1st4boys Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportDad1st4boys Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportDad1st4boys Has a SFV Diamond Heart of Support
Default Re: "flexible hours" trap.

As a Patrol Deputy Sheriff I am Blessed with a Sheriff who is a father and understands the stresses. He has been very supportive of my 1st priority, which is my sons. Last month when DS4 cut his leg with an axe, I was on patrol. I called into dispatch and she notified the Sheriff. The only question was if I needed an ambulance or my patrol car to take him in. Bleeding was under control and the hospital is out of the county so I took my own truck. The time was counted as sick time. With all the ER runs over the years there has never been a problem with my Sheriff. And if I needed time off then it's been covered as sick time.

The Only Easy Day was Yesterday. NavSpecWar

If it is Important to us we make it happen.......
If it's not, then we make excuses...
Dad1st4boys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 11:43 AM   #3
MotherBoard Female
Making The Magic Happen
Mother Of The Board

MotherBoard Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportMotherBoard Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportMotherBoard Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportMotherBoard Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportMotherBoard Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportMotherBoard Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportMotherBoard Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportMotherBoard Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportMotherBoard Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportMotherBoard Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportMotherBoard Has a SFV Diamond Heart of Support
Default Re: "flexible hours" trap.

I worked 12 hours shifts when my ex had our children every other weekend (Friday- Sunday) and every Monday & Tuesday, this worked out as working 3 days a week but had a full time 40 week job.

I dont think its fair that employers call something "flex time' and use it for their own way to exploit their staff, thats just under handed.
https://www.facebook.com/soloParent
MotherBoard is offline   Reply With Quote