Wild Dancing Thanksgivng Turkey Winter Jacket fastened? - Single Parents Forum: Single Family Voices
All forums, topics and discussions are geared to single parents and the issues faced with single parenting.
Support a single parent today and one will support you back!

Go Back   Single Parents Forum: Single Family Voices >
(``'·.¸(``'·.¸ Single Parent Mothers ¸.·'´´)¸.·'´´)
> Single Moms

~ Donate Today ~ PLEASE

Old 12-23-2014, 10:01 PM   #1
Tanya30 Female
I am New

Tanya30 is an unknown quantity at this point
Hi Winter Jacket fastened?

My 8yr old daughter, Olivia is bad for either not wearing a jacket or not doing it up during winter months.

I always ask her to do it up if I feel it necessary to be done up (zip and velcroed more than halfway up, preferably up to about her chin). Her friends come to our house in mornings to meet with Olivia so they can walk to School together and even their jackets are wide open so I suggest that they also do theirs up as well.

I sometimes see parents of these friends over weekend and they thank me for making sure their children are fully wrapped up from winter chill and then tell me that, because their child is in a rush to meet up with Olivia, they forget to do up their jackets.

So, am I right in making DD and her friends do up their jackets and do you insist on done up jackets during winter, how would you react if it was your child that I suggested to maybe do up their jacket?
Tanya30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2014, 09:18 AM   #2
Bluemoon Female
just an old hippie chick

Bluemoon Is a SFV Support LegendBluemoon Is a SFV Support LegendBluemoon Is a SFV Support LegendBluemoon Is a SFV Support LegendBluemoon Is a SFV Support LegendBluemoon Is a SFV Support LegendBluemoon Is a SFV Support LegendBluemoon Is a SFV Support LegendBluemoon Is a SFV Support LegendBluemoon Is a SFV Support LegendBluemoon Is a SFV Support Legend
Default Re: Winter Jacket fastened?

Welcome...
I certainly don't think that zipping up the jacket is a bad thing and I personally would not be upset if you told my child to zip up, too (though I offer no guarantees that he would do it).
However, do you know that children are warmer than we adults are? For one thing, they are more constantly active in ways that get the heart pumping and they are also less efficient at cooling off because their limbs are shorter so their blood spends more time in the torso where it stays warmer.
This is especially true of babies. We are forever overheating babies, .

Generally, truly being anywhere near dangerously cold is very uncomfortable and if a child really gets that way they will do something about it. Personally, I would be more worried about protecting fingers and toes as they are more vulnerable in frigid temps. Oh, and ears.

The coat, no harm in reminding them but it's not something I would be losing sleep over. Of course, I am assuming you are not sending them off in temps drastically below freezing.

On a side note, I drive a school bus and I regularly have kids who board the bus in 20 degrees Fahrenheit wearing shorts and t-shirts. Now, THAT is crazy!

To disagree, one doesn't have to be disagreeable. ~Barry M. Goldwater and Jack Casserly, Goldwater

Life is all about how you handle Plan B. ~ off a Blue Mountain Arts calendar
Bluemoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2014, 11:54 AM   #3
muskiedad Male
the one who babbles

muskiedad Is a SFV Support Legendmuskiedad Is a SFV Support Legendmuskiedad Is a SFV Support Legendmuskiedad Is a SFV Support Legendmuskiedad Is a SFV Support Legendmuskiedad Is a SFV Support Legendmuskiedad Is a SFV Support Legendmuskiedad Is a SFV Support Legendmuskiedad Is a SFV Support Legendmuskiedad Is a SFV Support Legendmuskiedad Is a SFV Support Legend

I am a fanatic about winter clothing....coats done up, hats etc. Mind you, Canada is a wee bit colder than some parts of the world.
muskiedad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2014, 12:38 PM   #4
Dad1st4boys Male
Failure is not an Option.

Dad1st4boys Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportDad1st4boys Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportDad1st4boys Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportDad1st4boys Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportDad1st4boys Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportDad1st4boys Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportDad1st4boys Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportDad1st4boys Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportDad1st4boys Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportDad1st4boys Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportDad1st4boys Has a SFV Diamond Heart of Support

As a kid I used to jump on the trampoline in shorts, no shirt .... in snow.... Colorado is a very dry cold. As an Adult I shiver just thinking about it now.... Kids burn up energy fast!

The Only Easy Day was Yesterday. NavSpecWar

If it is Important to us we make it happen.......
If it's not, then we make excuses...
Dad1st4boys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2014, 12:42 PM   #5
Bluemoon Female
just an old hippie chick

Bluemoon Is a SFV Support LegendBluemoon Is a SFV Support LegendBluemoon Is a SFV Support LegendBluemoon Is a SFV Support LegendBluemoon Is a SFV Support LegendBluemoon Is a SFV Support LegendBluemoon Is a SFV Support LegendBluemoon Is a SFV Support LegendBluemoon Is a SFV Support LegendBluemoon Is a SFV Support LegendBluemoon Is a SFV Support Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by muskiedad View Post
I am a fanatic about winter clothing....coats done up, hats etc. Mind you, Canada is a wee bit colder than some parts of the world.
Then my reply applys to you, too, . I'm not sure how cold Scotland in general gets, but no matter where you live you have to use common sense. If it was cold enough that being firmly bundled was imperative to avoid serious consequences during a walk to school, I don't think we'd be taking the walk. If it's just about comfort...well, that should be somewhat self regulated after a certain age....and I agree that Canada is mad cold, but folks in Alaska (or Remom) seem to have very different tolerence levels than folks like, well, me!

To disagree, one doesn't have to be disagreeable. ~Barry M. Goldwater and Jack Casserly, Goldwater

Old 12-24-2014, 01:00 PM   #6
muskiedad Male
the one who babbles

muskiedad Is a SFV Support Legendmuskiedad Is a SFV Support Legendmuskiedad Is a SFV Support Legendmuskiedad Is a SFV Support Legendmuskiedad Is a SFV Support Legendmuskiedad Is a SFV Support Legendmuskiedad Is a SFV Support Legendmuskiedad Is a SFV Support Legendmuskiedad Is a SFV Support Legendmuskiedad Is a SFV Support Legendmuskiedad Is a SFV Support Legend

It's Re-Mom's hot flashes....or so she told me LOL. Depends on the reason for not bundling up. If working outside, one starts to sweat. Not good. But if it's because it isn't "cool" to bundle up, well then that's for another reason altogether.
Old 12-24-2014, 02:06 PM   #7
Virgo69 Female
A Cuddly Porcupine

Virgo69 Has Heart and Soul of an AngelVirgo69 Has Heart and Soul of an AngelVirgo69 Has Heart and Soul of an AngelVirgo69 Has Heart and Soul of an AngelVirgo69 Has Heart and Soul of an AngelVirgo69 Has Heart and Soul of an AngelVirgo69 Has Heart and Soul of an AngelVirgo69 Has Heart and Soul of an AngelVirgo69 Has Heart and Soul of an AngelVirgo69 Has Heart and Soul of an AngelVirgo69 Has Heart and Soul of an Angel

It doesn't hurt to prompt them to zip up, but some people do get weird if you say something to their kids.
Old 12-24-2014, 04:55 PM   #8
Dad1st4boys Male

Dad1st4boys Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportDad1st4boys Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportDad1st4boys Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportDad1st4boys Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportDad1st4boys Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportDad1st4boys Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportDad1st4boys Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportDad1st4boys Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportDad1st4boys Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportDad1st4boys Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportDad1st4boys Has a SFV Diamond Heart of Support

Well, off on Patrol, Wearing long johns.... long sleeve mock turtle neck.... balistic vest.... long sleeve uniform shirt.... and I have 2 jackets, extra gloves, my felt cowboy hat and a watch cap for the windy nights.....
Every one stay warm and have a Safe and Happy Christmas!!

Old 12-26-2014, 11:42 PM   #9
Tanya30 Female
I am New

Olivia gets really cold in Winter time very quickly, even if she is outside playing so wrapping her up is a must or else, I have a cold and very whiny child.

As far as I am concerned, all children need to do up jackets during Winter because its common sense, maybe that is wrong but Olivia and her friends don't argue with me, they do fasten up when I ask.
Old 12-27-2014, 03:17 AM   #10
LSL Female
The blunt one;)

LSL Is a SFV Support LegendLSL Is a SFV Support LegendLSL Is a SFV Support LegendLSL Is a SFV Support LegendLSL Is a SFV Support LegendLSL Is a SFV Support LegendLSL Is a SFV Support LegendLSL Is a SFV Support LegendLSL Is a SFV Support LegendLSL Is a SFV Support LegendLSL Is a SFV Support Legend

If you suggested, fine. If my kid refused and you insisted... I would have an issue. I am the parent and as such, I get to make those calls. Our winters are mild so here, a zipped jacket is not a must.

My nephew refuses to wear a jacket. And if you insisted to him, his autism spectrum would show itself.

Common sense to you, yes. But to others.... Maybe not.
Old 12-27-2014, 09:59 AM   #11
Bluemoon Female
just an old hippie chick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanya30 View Post
Olivia gets really cold in Winter time very quickly, even if she is outside playing so wrapping her up is a must or else, I have a cold and very whiny child.

As far as I am concerned, all children need to do up jackets during Winter because its common sense, maybe that is wrong but Olivia and her friends don't argue with me, they do fasten up when I ask.
That's because you are not their mom and they are not positive about what will happen if they ignore you, .

As for the cold and whiney child...please know that I am not critisizing your care for your child, however I do think that you are taking a bit too much responsibility for something she should be doing, or at least learning to do, for herself at this point.

Are you still going to be doing this when she is in high school? You will if she doesn't learn to take care of herself better and this is just a small thing for her to learn, really. Also, as you know, this is not something you will always be there to enforce and you will have little success requireing others to be as diligent as you are...except that you can teach your daughter to be (maybe - it's your best bet).

When she is cold and whiney, then a reminder that she could have avoided being so uncomfortable and could still be outside playing had she simply paid attention to the small matter of properly preparing to GO outside in the first place, should penetrate her thought processes better then all the reminders in the world will when she is still toasty and warm.

That is all we are saying, except for Muskie who apprently does what you do x3, .

Old 12-27-2014, 03:00 PM   #12
muskiedad Male
the one who babbles

I should add that I zip up my coat so I practice what I preach to the kids, so that might help. So far even my oldest who started high school has no issue with bundling up.
Old 12-27-2014, 03:21 PM   #13
trebor Male
Board Beacon Parent

trebor Has Heart and Soul of an Angeltrebor Has Heart and Soul of an Angeltrebor Has Heart and Soul of an Angeltrebor Has Heart and Soul of an Angeltrebor Has Heart and Soul of an Angeltrebor Has Heart and Soul of an Angeltrebor Has Heart and Soul of an Angeltrebor Has Heart and Soul of an Angeltrebor Has Heart and Soul of an Angeltrebor Has Heart and Soul of an Angeltrebor Has Heart and Soul of an Angel

In this part of the world it's more about layers. You layer up if you get cold and down if you start to sweat. I'm with Muskie there, if you sweat then get cold you're likely to get sick. We don't do big furry parka's here, for the most part but if you have a heavy coat on and start to get hot, unzipping is ventilation. All of that aside I would not be offended if you told my son to zip up.
trebor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2014, 03:51 PM   #14
Bluemoon Female
just an old hippie chick

Quote:
Originally Posted by muskiedad View Post
I should add that I zip up my coat so I practice what I preach to the kids, so that might help. So far even my oldest who started high school has no issue with bundling up.
Make that x 4......

Old 12-27-2014, 06:39 PM   #15
muskiedad Male
the one who babbles

okay, so I have issues......LOL
Old 12-27-2014, 07:17 PM   #16
Tanya30 Female
I am New

Olivia understands that I am the parent and if I say to fasten her jacket, fasten her jacket she does.

I have even told her friends parents and even Guides leaders that they have my permission to ask her to fasten her jacket and if she disobeys, then fasten it for her saying that I gave them permission to fasten the jacket.

She sometimes will disobey friends parents and get narky when she is getting her jacket fastened for her.
Old 12-27-2014, 08:14 PM   #17
Dad1st4boys Male

Let her be cold and hold her responsible. I used to tell my boys when they whined about being cold that it was their responsibility to use the coats provide. They did not forget more than once.

Old 12-28-2014, 03:54 PM   #18
Dad1st4boys Male

Some of my sons' coats are snaps and button type....no zippers....