Wild Dancing Thanksgivng Turkey The title of this forum.... - Single Parents Forum: Single Family Voices
All forums, topics and discussions are geared to single parents and the issues faced with single parenting.
Support a single parent today and one will support you back!

Go Back   Single Parents Forum: Single Family Voices >
(``'·.¸(``'·.¸ Relationships¸.·'´´)¸.·'´´)
> Friendships

~ Donate Today ~ PLEASE

Old 05-21-2004, 03:23 PM   #1
Ms. Parker
Board Member

Ms. Parker is an unknown quantity at this point

is spelled wrong. You left out the D in Friendships.
Ms. Parker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2007, 03:22 PM   #2
Robin Female
Lively & Zealous Parent

Robin has a spectacular aura about

Ya I leave out a lot of things, some time that is a good thing. and others, are just pointed out to me...
Old 09-22-2007, 05:33 PM   #3
Gabriel's Mom
Setting New Standards

Gabriel's Mom is an unknown quantity at this point

Mispellings and all!
Gabriel's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2007, 07:05 PM   #4
Robin Female
Lively & Zealous Parent

Robin has a spectacular aura about

you say that now, just wait till the pumpkins come...
Old 09-22-2007, 08:29 PM   #5
Dawn Butterfly
Board Beacon Parent

Dawn Butterfly is an unknown quantity at this point

I actually find the misspellings cute.

We have "frienships" and "photo ablums"... just shows that we single parents are not perfectionists LOL ... we cant afford to be -- our kids will bail out on us if we are

Dawn Butterfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2007, 01:55 AM   #6
DancingMom
Parent on Board

DancingMom is an unknown quantity at this point

You ladies are going to laugh at me. Did you know that sometimes not all the time, I go back and fix my spelling errors or grammer! Who in their right mind has time to do this??

Okay, hear me out, I just want to improve my grammar that's all and I been thinking about taking a writing course.
DancingMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2007, 11:57 PM   #7
Gabriel's Mom
Setting New Standards

Gabriel's Mom is an unknown quantity at this point

Dancing Mom I do the same thing. I'll be reading a post and realize something I did wrong and I'll hit that edit button and fix it right up.
Gabriel's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2007, 06:38 AM   #8
Dawn Butterfly
Board Beacon Parent

LOL, I dont fix spelling errors and grammars in my post... that's why I think Ive so many spelling and grammar errors posted on in here. But I do re-read my posts to see if I said something offensive or annoying -- or something that would incrimate me, LOL. I think there was a time GM caught me red-handed editing my post.

Old 09-24-2007, 07:24 AM   #9
DancingMom
Parent on Board

I am like that because I have been in the secretarial/adminstrative field for years. I proofread at work too, it's become a habit. Co-workers even ask me to proofread their work. So I tend to take that habit with me just about everywhere.

My spanish grammar on the other hand suffers!!
Old 09-24-2007, 09:41 AM   #10
captmatrix
Lively & Zealous Parent

captmatrix is an unknown quantity at this point

I confess, I proofread my messages (sometimes multiple times) before posting. But I figure that's because I'm a teacher. And a perfectionist.

Two strikes. Really, it's out of my hands at this point.
captmatrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007, 05:05 PM   #11
Singleparentcoach
Setting New Standards

Singleparentcoach is an unknown quantity at this point

uh oh,

there is a teacher in the room.....

hey no wait, that is a great....what grade do you teach?
Singleparentcoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007, 09:15 PM   #12
captmatrix
Lively & Zealous Parent

LOL
I teach third grade, Coach.

And I promise I'm not grading anyone's posts.
Old 09-26-2007, 09:20 PM   #13
Dawn Butterfly
Board Beacon Parent

LOL, I dont really mind if someone edits my posts. I'm used to it. I'm a contributor at a local business magazine and I get a lot of editing marks from the editor-in-chief. That's why I dont proofread anything anymore, because even if I do, I still get edited. LOL

Old 09-27-2007, 09:13 PM   #14
Singleparentcoach
Setting New Standards

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> </div></BLOCKQUOTE>LOL

And I promise I'm not grading anyone's posts. <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Captmatrix....I fell for that trick before. LOL

kidding....that is great. Maybe we can exchange ideas for lessons. Do you use the email on here?
Old 09-27-2007, 10:56 PM   #15
captmatrix
Lively & Zealous Parent

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Singleparentcoach:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> </div></BLOCKQUOTE>LOL

And I promise I'm not grading anyone's posts. <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Captmatrix....I fell for that trick before. LOL

kidding....that is great. Maybe we can exchange ideas for lessons. Do you use the email on here? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

OK, so maybe I do grade some posts...
But at least I don't post the grades...

Yes, I use the email on here. Feel free! Do you teach, too?
Old 09-29-2007, 09:57 AM   #16
Singleparentcoach
Setting New Standards

captmatrix...

Long story..when I was a volunteer ambassador for Family to Family Ties, I got involved with setting up goals with them and that led me to tutoring their children in low income families and working in group homes since many did not have money to hire expensive tutors. Instead of becoming a teacher in the public system, I followed a doctor in teaching children, parents and caregivers on healthy feelings: releasing frustration, anxiety and loneliness to get to their anger, fear and sorrow to avoid rage and violence in our community. I had found that by working on those issues helped to increase their grades in school and find the motivation to continue. So I combined it in a tutoring program in order to prevent children from feeling they were being "counselled". So while I am not a teacher per say, I guess you can call me a school or academic/life coach for kids. I build rapore with their teachers to follow the children's school work, and try to attend their school events when their parents can't or don't want to show up such as special concerts. Of course all these requires legal papers and signed documents from parents and teachers giving me permission to do so. That is part of the academic coaching I include in the program. What I lack with some of the kids is some spec ed materials.
Old 09-29-2007, 10:36 AM   #17
DancingMom
Parent on Board

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Singleparentcoach:
captmatrix...
releasing frustration, anxiety and loneliness to get to their anger, fear and sorrow to avoid rage and violence in our community. I had found that by working on those issues helped to increase their grades in school and find the motivation to continue. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Coach, what your doing is awesome!

I come across people that stuff their feelings and emotions. Were never taught how to let out those feeling/emotions in a healthy way. Great work your doing for your community!!!
Old 09-29-2007, 10:49 AM   #18
captmatrix
Lively & Zealous Parent

Hey, Coach
That's impressive work.

Critical work.

Work that is highly overlooked when politicians examine what is wrong with the educational system and attempt to "fix" it by placing more demands on teachers by increasing academic standards (ie "No Child Left Behind"). Although I notice you are from Canada - there are many things Canadian gov't is doing better than U.S. gov't, especially in education.

It's absolutely ridiculous to believe that if we use expensive curriculum and have increased pressure on teachers, that we will get students who can perform better on high stakes assessments.

Basic needs of health and safety must be met and satisfied before we can expect kids to function in a classroom. Maslow pointed this out years ago, yet it still fails to drive educational reform in (this) country.

I imagine you feel truly satisfied in your work, although at times, I'm sure it can be discouraging and heartbreaking. I'm glad to meet you!
Old 09-29-2007, 09:42 PM   #19
Dawn Butterfly
Board Beacon Parent

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by captmatrix:
Basic needs of health and safety must be met and satisfied before we can expect kids to function in a classroom. Maslow pointed this out years ago, yet it still fails to drive educational reform in (this) country.
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

heh... dont ask me how the education system is in this country. We dont have enough classrooms and teachers to accommodate the children, particularly less fortunate ones. There are actually several schools in some provinces where there are Grade 1, Grade 2 and Grade 3 pupils all sitting in one cramped classroom with one teacher! The government doesnt pay public school teachers enough salary that's why not many people would go into education.

This is a sad reality for me because I have always wanted to teach, but who can live with such a meager salary?? Even university professors have to find work outside the academe (most of them are consultants, others have their own businesses) to survive.

Old 10-02-2007, 05:15 PM   #20
Singleparentcoach
Setting New Standards

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Work that is highly overlooked when politicians examine what is wrong with the educational system and attempt to "fix" it by placing more demands on teachers by increasing academic standards (ie "No Child Left Behind"). Although I notice you are from Canada - there are many things Canadian gov't is doing better than U.S. gov't, especially in education. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well we have that problem here also perhaps on some level a bit less then the states and alot goes uncovered also. The pressure the government puts on teachers is enormous here in Canada, and I find it appalling...teachers are our number one resource for parents on how our children our doing and they are in constant battle with the government who wants to impose raising academic standards, yet cutting back on necessary programs, almalgamating classes together etc... While that is great, the basic needs are being neglected causing more confusion and chaos in the schools and in the classrooms.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Maslow pointed this out years ago, yet it still fails to drive educational reform in (this) country.
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes, even our businesses ignore those fundamentals. So not only in schools but everywhere. Many leaders still do not understand the concept of the Goose who lays the golden eggs. They make cuts to the goose that lays the golden eggs. Well if you starve the goose enough, there are no more golden eggs. The Goose no longer functions at a level that can sustain the results we desire. It's a vicious circle.