Wild Dancing Thanksgivng Turkey Exciting New Friend . . . - Single Parents Forum: Single Family Voices
All forums, topics and discussions are geared to single parents and the issues faced with single parenting.
Support a single parent today and one will support you back!

Go Back   Single Parents Forum: Single Family Voices >
(``'·.¸(``'·.¸ Relationships¸.·'´´)¸.·'´´)
> Friendships

~ Donate Today ~ PLEASE

Old 05-24-2007, 09:26 AM   #1
smshybug
At A loss for Words - NOT!

smshybug is an unknown quantity at this point

Okay, so I am a relatively shy and down to earth girl non-actively seeking a partner and always out for friends, to any level. Anyway, this friend actually found me ... on myspace. I have had a lot of long term friends (currently one going on 8 years of friendship after we met on the internet i.e. Lucas the current "more than friends" interest) from the internet and this one I believe will be the same.

He lives in Maryland and works in Washington DC. He is gorgeous, has a great sense of humor, intellectually even with myself if not higher, and just . . . I feel this connection. Of course, I have not said that to him. Although, he has made it very clear that he has felt a "connection" with me and wants to know everything about me. He calls often, writes and text messages me all day.

Yeah! Fun right!?! Well for the most part but then there's little old me who is an overthinker and all that. But I guess what I'm getting at is that I really like this guy, as a friend and a little more, but he lives far away. I mean come on, Michigan to Maryland!?! That's where I'm having a problem. I dont want to get too attached to this guy, be it friendship or relationship because he lives so far away. Any advice on this issue is welcome.
smshybug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2007, 07:16 PM   #2
Singleparentcoach
Setting New Standards

Singleparentcoach is an unknown quantity at this point

I have experience with this, but afraid my experience wasn't that great, so unfortunately my advice wouldn't exactly be valid.

If I say something negative it could hinder what could or would be a wonderful relationship, and if I say something positive it could do the same.

I guess I would leave it up to time...dont get emotionally attached. Give him your time but being cautious about the distance thing for now might be wise until there are plans to talk about becoming closer.

A relationship would be difficult to maintain that's for sure...but ya never know. After the forum I started on internet dating there seemed to be alot of positive things to say about it and alot of positive outcomes.

Go with the flow ....
Singleparentcoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2007, 07:22 PM   #3
Dawn Butterfly
Board Beacon Parent

Dawn Butterfly is an unknown quantity at this point

Wow, I'm also excited for you! I've had a lot of friends who met their spouses online. And guess what, my friends lived here in the Philippines while the guys were in the US! Those men went here, met with my friends, and now they're happily married for several years. Of course, it's the women who had to adjust so they relocated to the US to be with their husbands. Although one of the guys chose to relocate here (he was a missionary so it wasnt a big deal -- he just asked to be reassigned here).

I think if the guy is serious about you, distance is not much of an issue. Consider the husbands of my friends -- they went halfway around the world! Although this does not happen to everyone so I dont want to keep your hopes us either. Just enjoy the friendship, and see how it goes from there. Besides, he's the guy, he will have to do the pursuing (maybe im a bit old fashioned here, LOL).

Dawn Butterfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2007, 07:31 PM   #4
Tessmit
Setting New Standards

Tessmit is an unknown quantity at this point

Smshybug, If he's a guy with means, he'll make the relationship work eventhough it's long distance. Weekends together periodically and technology makes it possible to make connections with one another before you two decide to take it to the next level. If he's genuine with you, meaning you're the only one, then cherish the relationship, otherwise, cherish the friendship.
Tessmit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2007, 08:11 PM   #5
Trey's Daddy
Lively & Zealous Parent

Trey's Daddy is a jewel in the rough

Ironicly, I find a lot of new friends through this site....it is weird. I have made MANY friends on myspace from people that happen to be just browsing these forums and saw my myspace address, and contact me via myspace for advice or just to talk. There are 4 on my myspace that I can think of off the top of my head that have found me through here that are not members, and I talk to via IM at least 2 - 3 times a week LMFAO.

-J
"to be nobody-but-myself in a world which is doing its best, night and day, to make me everybody else means to fight the hardest battle which any human being can fight, and never stop fighting..." --e.e. cummings
Trey's Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2007, 06:41 AM   #6
smshybug

I honestly just can't get over how much I like this guy. I am a normally happy person anyway, which is great considering years of depression, but his voice, his messages just give me this even happier feeling. Does that weird? To me it does. He definately has an impact on my day. I love friends that do that. I have a few others that do the same.

I have a few people on myspace from this site but have not had an opportunity to IM with them yet. Maybe I will this weekend. I welcome anyone who wants to chit-chat.

I hope you all have a wonderful memorial weekend.
Old 05-25-2007, 07:08 PM   #7
Dawn Butterfly
Board Beacon Parent

Dawn Butterfly is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally posted by Trey's Daddy:
I have made MANY friends on myspace from people that happen to be just browsing these forums and saw my myspace address, and contact me via myspace for advice or just to talk. There are 4 on my myspace that I can think of off the top of my head that have found me through here that are not members, and I talk to via IM at least 2 - 3 times a week LMFAO.

-J
Let me guess, most of them are girls right? LOL, just teasing.

smshybug, nice to have that short chitchat with you over myspace a while ago. I dont think its weird that someone makes you happy. I can totally relate. I'm sure most of us can. I'm really happy for you, I kinda miss that kind of feeling when a guy's voice or just his messages would be enough to make you happy. Just enjoy the friendship! And keep us updated.

Dawn Butterfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2007, 08:47 PM   #8
msweet33pr
I am New

msweet33pr is an unknown quantity at this point

hi i know what you mean...i too had that experience and let me tell you i just took things day by day...if he feels the same way as you then the distance should not be a problem..when i meet my friend i lived in puerto rico and he lived in connecticut...we comunicated back and fourth for yrs and became the best of friends until one day i decided to moved bk to ct and find myself a place for me and my child and know we are getting to know eachother more and we still have the same feeling but we r not rushing into anything.. so my adviced to you is take it day by day
msweet33pr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2007, 06:34 AM   #9
smshybug

Dawn, I hope we can talk more. Although it seems lately, I dont have much time to chat without the kid pulling at my leg. When you aren't doing anything, they dont want anything to do with you but as soon as you jump on the computer, they want your undivided attention.

So, yesterday I get a long voice mail message from my friend and as always, they are detailed and he always tells me what he will be doing later and when he will be available. I have never had a guy talk to me the way he does. He listens, he asks tons of questions and he seems genuine to know everything about me. I'm getting attached to this guy, and he tells me he is attached to me already. It's just great to find someone that is on the same level as me and gives me that feeling. I could go on and on but I won't bore you all with that.

Thanks for all your support!
Old 07-16-2007, 07:12 AM   #10
nadee_09 Female

nadee_09 has a reputation beyond reputenadee_09 has a reputation beyond reputenadee_09 has a reputation beyond reputenadee_09 has a reputation beyond reputenadee_09 has a reputation beyond reputenadee_09 has a reputation beyond reputenadee_09 has a reputation beyond reputenadee_09 has a reputation beyond repute

Congratulations!
It seems like good guys are very hard to find.
I agree with Tessmit. If he is genuine and worth it, somehow it will work itself out. The distance shouldnt matter if he and you really want this. If I were you I would go in slow dont rush into anything, and in your heart, you will know. If its not meant to be then be glad you have that distance. I can throw a rock at my ex not good at all cause ive been pretty tempted lately. But just know that if its really meant to be then the distance will not matter. Good luck girl!
nadee_09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2007, 07:43 AM   #11
smshybug

I tell you what . . . his voice is just . . . dreamy! Yes I know I am welcoming harassment from that comment but it's true. Just hearing his voice makes me smile. He sends me text messages that are cute and some that are . . . graphic but hey, it's nice to have someone pay attention to me even if he is 1000 miles away.

I pretty much talk to him on a daily basis. And we talk about everything. The best thing is that there are no expectations which is mostly due to how far apart we are. He has said that he is open to any kind of relationship and is open to falling in love with someone. I do love him as a friend but nothing beyond that. Who knows.
Old 07-16-2007, 10:43 AM   #12
zionscry
Parent on Board

zionscry is an unknown quantity at this point

Ok, Sarah.....keep us posted about this dude with the dreamy voice.
BTW.....Is it Nicolas Cage dreamy Or Pearce Brosnan dreamy?

Just thought I'd ask....

Have a great day!
Old 07-16-2007, 11:38 AM   #13
Bishop Male
Originator of “Coffee”

Bishop has a brilliant futureBishop has a brilliant futureBishop has a brilliant futureBishop has a brilliant futureBishop has a brilliant future

oh my heart is breaking

Nah i'm kidding Congrats hun I'm glad you found a connection with someone
Old 07-16-2007, 05:18 PM   #14
zionscry
Parent on Board

ohhh, that was sad,
Old 07-16-2007, 06:24 PM   #15
smshybug

For all of you, my friend, George, and I are just friends. I could show you how dreamy he is for those who want to know:

http://s16.photobucket.com/albums/b47/smshybug/?action=...current=firstpic.jpg

Anyway, we are just friends however he does have many qualities that I seek in an individual, friend and more. I met him on myspace and the first message I got from him said "I think you are beautiful and would like to get to know you better." Now, how sweet is that.

That line is of course better than my first boyfriend, whom I was with for 6 years, whose first sentence to me was "wanna have ***?"
Old 07-17-2007, 02:44 PM   #16
Gabriel's Mom
Setting New Standards

Gabriel's Mom is an unknown quantity at this point

He sure is pretty...
Gabriel's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2007, 03:43 PM   #17
zionscry
Parent on Board

Sarah....Wow!

GM....what an adorable little man you have!!!
Old 07-17-2007, 07:16 PM   #18
smshybug

He is gorgeous!