Wild Dancing Thanksgivng Turkey How do you start over? - Single Parents Forum: Single Family Voices
All forums, topics and discussions are geared to single parents and the issues faced with single parenting.
Support a single parent today and one will support you back!

Go Back   Single Parents Forum: Single Family Voices >
(``'·.¸(``'·.¸ Relationships¸.·'´´)¸.·'´´)
> Friendships

~ Donate Today ~ PLEASE

Old 02-04-2008, 10:25 AM   #1
flaclmadj
I am New

flaclmadj is an unknown quantity at this point

I have been a single father of a babygirl for over a year now. My daughters mother has serious mental and drug problems and had another relaps this weekend. After a year and a half of this I have finally lost all hope for her to ever recover. This also brought me to the realization that I have lost myself in this process. I recently moved to a new town to start a new career and really have no friends here. How do you start over?
flaclmadj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 12:15 PM   #2
smshybug
At A loss for Words - NOT!

smshybug is an unknown quantity at this point

Personally, I have lived in the same area my entire life and have never had to start over from scratch, but I have had to start over in the respect that I myself, had to find myself again. I am still doing some searching right now but hopefully soon I will find something in me that makes me want to like me.

Anyway . . . I'm not really sure what you're looking for in how to start over and I'm sure others here will be of more help than me but . . .

keep your chin up and a smile on for your daughter. Things always work out eventually!
smshybug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2008, 08:40 AM   #3
pinkflwr
On the Board

pinkflwr is an unknown quantity at this point

flaclmadj, I am currently in the same position.
This is the first time I am on my own, and trying to start over too. I have been trying to be confident and ask people from work out for a friendly drink, etc. and it's been ok but I think it will take some time to find ground in my new life. My ex was an addict and suffering from a mental illness. It is VERY hard and it's even harder on the kids (my son asked the grocery store cashier if he was his daddy yesturday- I almost died). Hang in there!

pinkflwr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2008, 04:00 PM   #4
Singleparentcoach
Setting New Standards

Singleparentcoach is an unknown quantity at this point

I would think and it is just my opinion that you start doing things for you...start by taking the time to love yourself and be in aplace in your life where you are happy with you...

that would be my guess on starting over...
Singleparentcoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 07:46 PM   #5
backpacker
I am New

backpacker is an unknown quantity at this point

hmmmm....me to...I don't really know what I'm doing. I'm taking my daughter and I out of town tomorrow for a little mini getaway. I was in a horrible marriage for 4 years, and lost myself in the process. I stopped doing the things I loved to do, seeing my friends, and just basically shut down, all because I thought I needed my husband to do those things with me. He's gone, now I'm trying to regain my identity. So, we're going on a road trip we're going to eat something new, go hiking, have a picnic, go to a museum, and whatever else we feel like doing in a 48 hour period What do you like to do? See if there is anyone else that enjoys the same things, and if not, don't be afraid to go at it alone. Life is too short to not enjoy everyday of it.
backpacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 08:28 PM   #6
SingleMomAZ Female
Board Blazen Parent

SingleMomAZ is an unknown quantity at this point

Granted, I didn't have kids when I did this but last July I packed up everything I owned and moved 1400 miles (Washington to Yuma, AZ) to essentially start a new life (it was because I got a teaching job). I knew no one here....

The first thing I did was establish friendships at work and from there I met other people through them. Now, I can't think of any other better people to be around!
Old 08-19-2008, 09:31 PM   #7
idig Female
SFV JUNKIE!!!

idig Is a SFV Support Legendidig Is a SFV Support Legendidig Is a SFV Support Legendidig Is a SFV Support Legendidig Is a SFV Support Legendidig Is a SFV Support Legendidig Is a SFV Support Legendidig Is a SFV Support Legendidig Is a SFV Support Legendidig Is a SFV Support Legendidig Is a SFV Support Legend

Counseling is always a good place to start in rediscovering yourself and in helping to discover how you lost yourself in the first place.

Some other things that worked for me:
Find groups of people that share a common interest. Try meetup.com, it has groups who get together for book discussions, hiking, photography enthusiasts, movie clubs and many other different things. I have heard Parents without Partners is great, if you have one in your area. I am thinking about starting a single parent family meetup in my city to see if there is an interest.

Find a phone/email buddy if possible. The first few months following my split from an addict I had a phone buddy who was going through a divorce also. We called each other every morning, early. It kept us both from feeling so alone in facing the day.

Best of wishes to you and that baby!
Old 08-30-2008, 09:16 PM   #8
Singleparentcoach
Setting New Standards

Singleparentcoach is an unknown quantity at this point

Starting over takes time and patience. Cultivating friendships takes time as well. Give yourself a chance, things will come along for you.

Only through time and getting out into the community will you meet others such as going to the gym, or kids play groups etc...

The sky is the limit in terms of where to go to meet people, but cultivating friendships is like an art...time, patience and persistance sometimes comes in handy.

M
Singleparentcoach is offline   Reply With Quote