Wild Dancing Thanksgivng Turkey Single parents where do we meet others - Single Parents Forum: Single Family Voices
All forums, topics and discussions are geared to single parents and the issues faced with single parenting.
Support a single parent today and one will support you back!

Go Back   Single Parents Forum: Single Family Voices >
(``'·.¸(``'·.¸ Relationships¸.·'´´)¸.·'´´)
> Friendships

~ Donate Today ~ PLEASE

Old 03-10-2008, 01:45 PM   #1
andrik777
I am New

andrik777 is an unknown quantity at this point
hi2 Single parents where do we meet others

So where do other single parents go to meet people. I am so busy with work and my boys and the thought of going to bar gives me the creeps. So where do you go to meet someone decent.
andrik777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2008, 09:31 AM   #2
kandm2gether
I am New

kandm2gether is an unknown quantity at this point

Believe me, I am wondering the same thing! I'm in a few groups through meetup.com (some are singles groups which I honestly don't have much time for, but a few are single parent groups which make it easier since most of the events I can take my daughter to ... however, they aren't really "dating" groups ... it's more for friendship).Your other option I suppose is the online dating sites or the old standby ...church. LOL
kandm2gether is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2008, 10:25 AM   #3
The Chicago Details
I am New

The Chicago Details is an unknown quantity at this point

I hear ya and ponder the same thing! Break out the crystal ball!! I did hear about a group Parents Without Partners that is s a single parents group. The outings are scheduled and some are without the kids..like adult pool and cards at a host bar. You decide which ones you want to attend; there is a membership fee. Im thinking of joining that just to meet other single parents in my area. Being new out in the 'sticks' is not easy!
The Chicago Details is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2008, 07:46 PM   #4
FlyingDevildog Male
Banned

FlyingDevildog has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDevildog has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDevildog has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDevildog has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDevildog has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDevildog has a reputation beyond repute

PWP (Parents without Partners)
is a good group to be in.
Lots to do and the people I've meet are very nice.
Hey Ms Chicago Detail the one in Lake Co. is a good large group with lots going on.
If you would like a phone # e-mail me.

Dawg
FlyingDevildog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2008, 03:16 PM   #5
The Chicago Details
I am New

The Chicago Details is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks Devil Dog..Just read your reply. I will email you tonight for sure!
The Chicago Details is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2008, 04:22 PM   #6
Jaylie
Active Board Parent

Jaylie will become famous soon enough

I think that is the neverending question!! But hey at least we all haven't given up hope! The fact that we still want to meet someone says a lot in & of itself!!! Yea for us!!!!
Old 04-24-2008, 10:40 PM   #7
learning1969
I am New

learning1969 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello everyone, I am new on the site. I am not sure I think that the professional dating sites are a great option. I have had limited exposure to them, my brother thought they were a good idea, and seemed to get a lot of attention from people who had absolutely nothing in common with me nor matched any of the criteria that I had established. I am sure that there are a lot of great people on them, but seems a little difficult navigating through to find them. I am sure my ineptness with or lack of experience in the current dating arena doesn't help.
learning1969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 04:18 PM   #8
librarywizrd Female
Learning to Surf The Board

librarywizrd is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Single parents where do we meet othe

I will say that you need to be careful on the professional dating sites. I had a horrible expereince last year, and the person I thought I was talking to did not actually exist, but was a scammer in Nigeria. Be very cautious, do not reveal personal information, and don't make your expectations too high.
librarywizrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 11:53 AM   #9
Coolknight68 Male
I am New

Coolknight68 is an unknown quantity at this point

Dating sites. I meet my ex. wife through a dating site, 12 years ago... Back then, people who were on these sites, were looking for dates. However, this has become an industry and it now there are so many scams, email collectors, plus weird people on these sites, that I would not recommend them to anyone. The other problem is that as soon as you are a single parent, or a divorced parent with a child only part time with you, you tend to get ignored. But the biggest problem is that dating sites have become cheating sites, just too many man and women out there on these sites that are just cheating their partner. After my divorce I went back on these sites then gave up on them, after I noticed that the women I was meeting were all or married or had a boyfriend that was traveling. So... good question you have there. As soon you're hard working, taking care of your children, being there for your children, there is little time to meet other people. As time passes, with age, we're also simply no longer in the group of people that will try to get wasted on large parties on weekends. Age, being responsible, being a parent, having to pay bills. One solution is evening school, if you have a little time and someone to babysit. You learn something, you meet people. Could also be evening art school, or whatever... I did this. meet quite a few nice women, but none of them was interested as soon as they knew that I had a child... so... but for single moms this might work better. You can give it a try.
Coolknight68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 02:26 PM   #10
FrankieA707 Female
I am New

FrankieA707 is an unknown quantity at this point

Dating websites are definitely a tricky thing. I've gone through them several times, gone on lots of dates. There have been good ones and bad ones. But I get where everyone is coming from, it's hard to know where to go and how to meet people who understand us being single parents. I've been told by a few different guys that my kids scare them off. I've also been told that they just aren't ready to be a father. I've kind of given up on anyone except people who have kids themselves. I'm not too into the whole Brady Bunch idea but I've always wanted a lot of kids so I guess it's a possibility.

Good luck to everyone looking for that special someone. They've gotta be out there somewhere!
FrankieA707 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 02:33 PM   #11
Katherine89 Female
Parent on Board

Katherine89 has a brilliant futureKatherine89 has a brilliant futureKatherine89 has a brilliant futureKatherine89 has a brilliant futureKatherine89 has a brilliant future

I've been thinking the same thing. My parents have said that when my son starts going to school, after school activities, PTA meetings, things like that might be a good placed to meet other single parents. What begins as a friendship can always grow into something more so don't be trying to jump into something to quick. Also..I've met a few men just by taking my son to the park for a while. Good luck!! We will always find the right man or woman one day!!! Keep hope and faith
Katherine89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 12:51 AM   #12
carioca Female
I am New

carioca is an unknown quantity at this point

I can't denied that meet someone is a strugle... My life is from home to work and from work to home. My free time I stay at home or go somewhere with my girls... I remember when my mom used to tell me if you want to meet someone nice you should go to a book store like b&n... I don't believe you can find a nice guy in a bar or neither I have the time to go to one...But my almost ex...please he never had a problem finding girlfriends, even when I was pregnant... I guess thought our whole relationship..well anyways...summer is coming...try to go in free park concerts or outside spaces...and let us know if you find out a good place ;-)
carioca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 01:12 AM   #13
Amorain Female
Parent on Board

Amorain is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by carioca View Post
My life is from home to work and from work to home. My free time I stay at home or go somewhere with my girls...

Wow...you just described my life....home to drop off boy at school, to work, work to pick up kid, then home, then make dinner, then homework then my one hour or two of peace and quiet after he goes to bed then sleep.

Quote:
Originally Posted by carioca View Post
I remember when my mom used to tell me if you want to meet someone nice you should go to a book store like b&n...
LMAO! My mom tells me this too. To go to a starbucks and just sit there. ha!

But I have learned that if God wants me to marry again, He's knows when the time will be right. And that gives me time to better myself! But it isn't impossible
"With God all Things Are Possible"--Matthew 19:26
Amorain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 06:09 PM   #14
curlygirlie Female
On the Board

curlygirlie has much to be proud ofcurlygirlie has much to be proud of

How do you even know you are ready? Sometimes I feel like I'm ready for someone and other times i don't. I guess I have some emotions I still have to work through otherwise I don't thin k I would have any doubt. I'm trying to find some single moms my age in my area and having a hard time doing that!
curlygirlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 10:39 PM   #15
Amorain Female
Parent on Board

Amorain is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by curlygirlie View Post
How do you even know you are ready? Sometimes I feel like I'm ready for someone and other times i don't. I guess I have some emotions I still have to work through otherwise I don't thin k I would have any doubt. I'm trying to find some single moms my age in my area and having a hard time doing that!

It is different for everyone so I can't answer that but for me...I don't think I'm ready now. I have MANY things to improve in myself first, better my relationship with God, and mend relationships with my family. But I have a feeling its soon because I feel my life turning very hard towards positive lately

It is hard to determine though but I won't say...you will know when you know or...you will meet the one when you aren't looking..because I think those statements are false because its different for each person.
"With God all Things Are Possible"--Matthew 19:26
Amorain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 03:18 AM   #16
the1stvoice Male
Parent on Board

the1stvoice is an unknown quantity at this point

I have found the park to be a successful place to meet other parents. at this point i want to stop looking to meet potential women suitors and start thinking about meeting people. if i can connect with men and women of all kinds that will increase my chances that someone might introduce me to their friends who know someone i might be interested in dating.
the1stvoice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 11:36 AM   #17
curlygirlie Female
On the Board

curlygirlie has much to be proud ofcurlygirlie has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by the1stvoice View Post
I have found the park to be a successful place to meet other parents. at this point i want to stop looking to meet potential women suitors and start thinking about meeting people. if i can connect with men and women of all kinds that will increase my chances that someone might introduce me to their friends who know someone i might be interested in dating.
I like that. Meeting new people and being friends first is a better way of possibly meeting that special someone.
curlygirlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 03:19 AM   #18
bluewave Female
At A loss for Words - NOT!

bluewave Has a SFV Diamond Heart of Supportbluewave Has a SFV Diamond Heart of Supportbluewave Has a SFV Diamond Heart of Supportbluewave Has a SFV Diamond Heart of Supportbluewave Has a SFV Diamond Heart of Supportbluewave Has a SFV Diamond Heart of Supportbluewave Has a SFV Diamond Heart of Supportbluewave Has a SFV Diamond Heart of Supportbluewave Has a SFV Diamond Heart of Supportbluewave Has a SFV Diamond Heart of Supportbluewave Has a SFV Diamond Heart of Support

i agree...i just recently started branching out to make new friends, and that is the first step to healing and just being comfortable in your own skin again. at least, that's how it's been for me. i've been tempted, but shy away if anyone makes even a hint of an overture. not that there's been lots of THAT,

i'm also on the fence, in that, i'm finally open to the thought of 'someday it might be nice,' but am struggling in the present time with so many emotions, i can't even think of sharing my crazy with people until i feel less crazy. i hope that makes sense.
bluewave is offline   Reply With Quote