Wild Dancing Thanksgivng Turkey I am a new member, from Italy - Single Parents Forum: Single Family Voices
All forums, topics and discussions are geared to single parents and the issues faced with single parenting.
Support a single parent today and one will support you back!

Go Back   Single Parents Forum: Single Family Voices >
(``'·.¸(``'·.¸ Relationships¸.·'´´)¸.·'´´)
> Friendships

~ Donate Today ~ PLEASE

Old 06-09-2008, 06:56 AM   #1
rosanna
I am New

rosanna is an unknown quantity at this point

Dear everybody,
excuse me for my poor english...
Being a single mother I had to put aside this year (and i suppose for many other years in the future) my desire to come in your Country.
I know USA only from films and books, and it was time for me, to come.
Being impossible, I would like to get in touch with your country talking with people. You.
I suppose that the condition of single parent is probably the same all over the world, thus I ask you all if i can be welcome in your community.
Of course I will be glad to talk with you, if interested, about Italy or whatever you wish.
Please correct my mistakes !
I remain waiting for you kind reply.. and please keep into consideration, in case of delay in my answers, that I have another time zone !

read you soon!
Ciao
Rosanna
rosanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 07:24 AM   #2
Alejandra
Setting New Standards

Alejandra has a brilliant futureAlejandra has a brilliant futureAlejandra has a brilliant futureAlejandra has a brilliant futureAlejandra has a brilliant future

Hi and welcome aboard!

I am a single mother to one 5 year old boy. Some of my ancestors are from northern Italy. I have yet to visit your beautiful country, but i'll get there some day...

If the fetus you save is gay, will you still fight for its rights???

"Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem, first make sure that you are not, in fact, just surrounded by assholes." ~William Gibson
Alejandra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 07:25 AM   #3
Don Male
At A loss for Words - NOT!

Don will become famous soon enough

Welcome to the forum. Your english isn't so terrible. You never know what the future holds so maybe some day you'll be telling us how your move to America was
Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 08:21 AM   #4
rosanna
I am New

wow !
what a quick reply !
Thanks everybody..
we are (now, summer timetable, ten hours more.
Only a glance to the net as i'm working, in my office.
In 4-5 hours from now i'll be home and i'll try to tell you more, and/or to read more from you.
Again thanks..
again please correct my mistakes and ..
i'm really excited to have found you all.
Read you soon !
Rosanna
Old 06-09-2008, 08:45 AM   #5
AKnightInTheMaking
Parent on Board

AKnightInTheMaking is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Rosanna!

My daughter's mother is Italian. Her grandfather came over the big pond when he was a little boy with his parents. I love the Italian family atmosphere that they had and her grandfather was an amazing man.

He lived near Lake Como for some time after World War II after fighting Rommel through Africa and then pushing up through Anzio. He was the sole survivor of his platoon, twice. Talk about some amazing stories... for all the horror he had been through he was the most gentle and loving man.

He stumbled across a Nazi bank roll when he was in Italy and became instantly wealthy. He stayed in Italy after the war to heal his mind... almost married and stayed there. But the money started causing more problems with greedy people coming into his life so he just gave it away and came back to the US. Became a janitor at a local school and lived a simple and full life. The place was packed at his funeral.

I plan to come to Italy someday with her and show her some of her amazing heritage. Maybe even find some of her family from her mother's side.

Keep in touch and tell us your story.

Take care,

-Knight

"Surely what a man does when he is taken off his guard is the best evidence for what sort of man he is..." - C.S. Lewis

AKnightInTheMaking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 09:10 AM   #6
LaurieDorey
Lively & Zealous Parent

LaurieDorey is an unknown quantity at this point

bon giorna rosanna!
i went with my nona (but we called her noni) and nono and zio to see pesaro when i was 4. 39 years later i am still longing for the bomboloni and 50 lira gelato cones (3 scoops!) they sold on the adriatic beach.

one day i will return to your breathtaking country. perhaps we can do a house swap like the cameron diaz/kate winslet movie and both fall hopelessly in love while away!

until then, welcome to the forum there are some terrfic folks here!
ciao bella!
Old 06-09-2008, 11:23 AM   #7
rosanna
I am New

Hi everybody...
It is amazing, really, to realize that so many persons have italian background or reminders (it the right word ?).
Well, II world war is here a topic too.
In every family (which are no more the big families you imagine, we have maximun two children each family, (4 are en exception, more are considered "strange families") we have grand fathers and mothers ready to tell us stories about these years.
Every person which was at an age where memory can take place in the mind, for example, remembers in detail (which dress, exactly where they were (i mean under which tree or building)the very moment in which the first american tank entered in the city..
I reach Como (and its lake) in half an hour (car) from my house. I never met George (Clooney) unfortunately : he has my same age, I always hope but... you see we do not have common friends.
to Laurie : perhaps.. future holds many secretes, as our administrator supposed in his welcoming..
I am (like george, 48.
I have a daughter 16 and half.
I work in a research center, with administrtive role.
Not a wide carrier as i had tu cut to the minumun my timetible to be at home with my girl. But I Liked it.
Every year, since years, i plan an holiday in usa to see
MOMA in N.y.
The skyscraper where a love story can start (please hepl me, right now I forgot the name..)
Niagara
Chicago (E.R....)
AND A LOT of other places described by michel Cunningham in his books..

I have a dream, and you all are the answer !
Thank you so much!
Old 06-09-2008, 11:30 AM   #8
rosanna
I am New

to laurie :
today a cono (ice ceam) costs 1,5 / more till 5 euro, more or less the same 1,5 /more till 5 dollars.
And i mean not sitting, walking...
Old 06-09-2008, 12:01 PM   #9
Moosey
Board Blazen Parent

Moosey has a brilliant futureMoosey has a brilliant futureMoosey has a brilliant future

welcome rosanna! I want to learn italian someday and visit italy. I love italian food and movies. Vita e bella is one of my favorite movies. Il postino was great too
Moosey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 12:10 PM   #10
HannahsBoy
Lively & Zealous Parent

HannahsBoy is an unknown quantity at this point

Rosanna......Salve e benvenuti

Nice to have you here.....
Don't worry about your english you are doing just fine...
It's very refreshing to have people from different walks of life here....

"The skyscraper where a love story can start".....are you speaking of the Empire State Building in NY?
HannahsBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 12:19 PM   #11
rosanna
I am New

hi Moosey.
I am a good cook (they say)
If you wish i can tray to teach you via p.c. some italian food (cooked at the italian way, i mean). Just tell me what you have in our mind, and we could try.
You like two very important films, which i like too. Anyway I am not a very good critic (is it the right word?) and, mostly, I am not going to the cinema every week to see brand new films.
Generally speaking I prefere happy end and everyday stories, the one which give some hope for en extraordinary tomorrow. In my opinion (desire) LIfe should be a fairy tale,, hopefully
Old 06-09-2008, 12:23 PM   #12
rosanna
I am New

Hi Hannahsboy.
Yes it is.
I was so absorbed to avoid mistakes that I've lost the mind.
I have read here and there the forum and - to be sincere - problems and situation you (the whole foum i mean) describe are the same (in feelings, troubles, doubts, questions) that we have in italy.
I do not thimk to bring any new point of view (from my country).. Maybe a different (but personal, not determined by my nationality) point of view..
Old 06-09-2008, 12:29 PM   #13
Moosey
Board Blazen Parent

Moosey has a brilliant futureMoosey has a brilliant futureMoosey has a brilliant future

rosanna, that would be really cool! Do you have skype? If you do I could send you a PM with my username. I speak spanish so it would be fun to try and have a conversation to see how much of you I could understand and visa versa. Italians are easy to understand because you enunciate so well : )
Old 06-09-2008, 12:39 PM   #14
rosanna
I am New

Hi Moosey.
I do not YET have skype as till now i did not need it
I just checked with a friend and he just told me that it is easy to plan.. meanwhile Messenger (they told me) could be useful as well.
I will check what it is possible to do and, in a while, i'll keep you informed.
Thanks.
Old 06-09-2008, 04:21 PM   #15
LaurieDorey
Lively & Zealous Parent

LaurieDorey is an unknown quantity at this point

nooo dont do skype - do a thread here so we can all learn! if only i had paid attention to my noni's 'gravy' (not sauce)
Old 06-17-2008, 07:49 PM   #16
miss jes

miss jes is an unknown quantity at this point

Unfortunately, single parenthood is a global issue and despite the varying cultural limitations, we tend to deal with the same issues. I'm glad you were able to find us and hopefully you'll find the support you need. I'm Italian as well. I was born in Vicenza and moved to Canada when I was 7. My mother fled an abusive marriage and felt it was better for my sisters and I to live near her family. We lived in such a small town, we had no choice but to sneak out in the middle of the night while our dad was asleep. It wasn't easy. Canada was such a cultural shock for us, and a big city at that! It took time to adjust to our new lifestyle .. a lot of heart-ache and doubt along the way, but eventually we settled in nicely. I've yet to go back and visit but plan to "one day". Point is, it'll be a hard adjustment but with strength and determination you'll find the happiness you're looking - so will your daughter. Best of luck and feel free to talk with us at any time.
miss jes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2008, 01:18 PM   #17
Moosey
Board Blazen Parent

rosanna, se invie mi nick en un mensaje privado... espero que regreses pronto pa que pudemos chatear

nos hablamos : )
Old 06-20-2008, 01:33 PM   #18
miss jes

miss jes is an unknown quantity at this point

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Moosey:
rosanna, se invie mi nick en un mensaje privado... espero que regreses pronto pa que pudemos chatear

nos hablamos : ) </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

hey moosey, I actually understood most of that. LOL I haven't spoken in Italian in a very long time. I wonder what happened to Rosana?
miss jes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2008, 03:51 PM   #19
Dew
Setting New Standards

Dew is an unknown quantity at this point

Ciao Rosanna e benvenuta su SFV

io sono tedesca, ma vivo in Francia. Pero ho una sorellastra che vive a Roma. Mi fa piacere che siamo una persona in più del' Europa con te.
Anch'io sono una Mamma sola di 40 anni (come si dice single mother in italiano ?) con mio figlio di quasi sei anni.

Ok, I'm done showing off now now.
Old 06-22-2008, 11:19 AM   #20
Lurch

Lurch is an unknown quantity at this point

In the good old Navy days(76-79) we used to go to Napoles all the time. Very old city with lots of stonework. To bad I wasen't interested in learning anything when I was there, such is the life of a 17-18 year old. A prospective from there would be rather refreshing. Sure single parenting is pretty much the same issues everywhere, and yet its not. The interaction of the way people think is a lot differen't as you move from one area to another even here in the US.

Lurch is offline   Reply With Quote