Wild Dancing Thanksgivng Turkey Making friends is not easy - Single Parents Forum: Single Family Voices
All forums, topics and discussions are geared to single parents and the issues faced with single parenting.
Support a single parent today and one will support you back!

Go Back   Single Parents Forum: Single Family Voices >
(``'·.¸(``'·.¸ Relationships¸.·'´´)¸.·'´´)
> Friendships

~ Donate Today ~ PLEASE

Old 10-21-2005, 06:26 PM   #1
frank1
I am New

frank1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Making friends is not easy, keeping them is even harder finding they really are is a miracle. We all come from all walks life even as strangers we meet so many people come go like mist. Had few friends this way one from �� , 10 weeks lasted after she was found out to be married. so I looked so silly from start all wanted was being her friend but sadly she well gone. Being friends all down to trusting and being as many friends come go, they were not in first place. Friends also get mixed up with soul mates which there are many in world you have to difference which tow they are, soul mate just same. I think friends start making conditions then that�s time to get away. I cant find words for making friends because don�t think there is much chance working out whether someone is or is not your friends, when time comes that�s time when have your friends around you if they are not around ,then they were never in first place. Life is an experience were meet so many people like ship pass in the night, holding on to a friend is also hard one. My view only doesn�t need to be yours.Francis
frank1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2005, 06:36 PM   #2
Melissa Jo
Setting New Standards

Melissa Jo is an unknown quantity at this point

You're right - friends come and go. The real ones stay.

I'm very grateful to have SFV to come too. Friends that care, that listen, that share.

:lovesfv:
Melissa Jo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2005, 02:19 PM   #3
Lurch
At A loss for Words - NOT!

Lurch is an unknown quantity at this point

Its not the amount of friends it the quality of them. I would rather have afew true friends then a boat load of wannabe friends.

Lurch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2005, 05:11 PM   #4
lovebeingmum
Parent on Board

lovebeingmum is an unknown quantity at this point

i think the real friends are the ones that u can lose contact with for months at a time (when life gets busy ya know?) but u can still call them up and u know u will always b there for each other. u can spend every day with some1 and it still doesnt mean their a real 'friend'. ive got a quite a lot of people i call friends but only a select few who are 'real true friends'.

lovebeingmum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2005, 05:24 PM   #5
Dew
Setting New Standards

Dew is an unknown quantity at this point

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by lovebeingmum:
[qb] i think the real friends are the ones that u can lose contact with for months at a time (when life gets busy ya know?) but u can still call them up and u know u will always b there for each other. u can spend every day with some1 and it still doesnt mean their a real 'friend'. ive got a quite a lot of people i call friends but only a select few who are 'real true friends'. [/qb] </div></BLOCKQUOTE>this one struck a nerve, lovebeingmum...
A few years back I might have agreed, but now I don't any more.

A friend is also someone you regularly have contact with. If you find out his mother died a year ago and he didn't tell you, and you didn't care enough to find out why he was silent for so long, then he's not a real friend. MHO

I have tons of people who contact me once a year or even less, and yes, we resume the 'friendship' as if nothing happened inbetween. But really, that is not a friend to me any more. He knows nothing at all about me or my life, he didn't care to call in the weeks and months and years when I needed him. I can be nice and civil with him and even enjoy talking to him, but a friend is something else.
Needless to say, I have very few friends myself.

[edit] and I want to add, it takes years for me to make friends.
Old 10-22-2005, 05:33 PM   #6
lovebeingmum
Parent on Board

dew - omg yea i totally see where ur coming from there chick. one of my best friends i see everyday and if a friend was in need or particularly quiet i would straight away check they were ok but what i mean is i have childhood friends who no longer live close by or were all busy and yet i still love them totally and although we can get caught up in our own little world theres never any problem if we havent spoken for a while. my best childhood friend lives away now and we dont speak for a couple of months sometimes but if she ever needed me id be there for her in a second and neither of us would ever hold a grudge if we hadnt heard from the other in a while. do u know what i mean? think thats what i was kinda trying to say.

Old 10-22-2005, 05:54 PM   #7
Dew
Setting New Standards

I guess I know what you mean, in theory.
But I was hurt one time too many.
I only had that one childhood friend, we met when we were age 3 and often lived continents apart over the years, but we always kept contact somehow.
She was never the reliable one, but that was her, that is her, and it didn't matter.
But in the past years...for me it all broke apart. I don't trust her any more, or even worse, I trust her that she will lie to me when it suits her.
I lost my childhood friend and it hurts, that's all. But then it doesn't hurt any more, it's so far away now.
Old 10-22-2005, 06:01 PM   #8
lovebeingmum
Parent on Board

yea can understand that. then again if thats who she is regardless of how often u had contact or whateva she would probably still b that person who would lie to u or whateva. know what i mean?
it hurts to lose a friend especially one u have had for so many years but maybe she was never a true friend in the first place. a true friend is truthful and honest and caring.

Old 10-22-2005, 06:26 PM   #9
Dew
Setting New Standards

you gotta wonder what hurts more: to loose a friend or to realize you never had a friend.

A friend does not have to be perfect by the way.

I mean, yes, I am perfect of course, but how can I expect everyone else to be ?
No, seriously, I mean it. She was my friend with all her faults and the same applied to me.
Old 10-22-2005, 06:37 PM   #10
lovebeingmum
Parent on Board

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Dew:
[qb] you gotta wonder what hurts more: to loose a friend or to realize you never had a friend.

A friend does not have to be perfect by the way.

I mean, yes, I am perfect of course, but how can I expect everyone else to be ?
No, seriously, I mean it. She was my friend with all her faults and the same applied to me. [/qb] </div></BLOCKQUOTE> well yea i did make myself to sound like i should have a halo on my head hehe - im actually usually dragging my halo around behind me. i just meant those are the kind of qualities u should have when its needed.
yea i know what u mean when u lose a friend sometimes the good memories and the feeling that maybe they werent what u thought can be just as bad.

Old 10-22-2005, 06:40 PM   #11
Dew
Setting New Standards

anyways..
good thread !
good subject !
Old 10-22-2005, 06:52 PM   #12
lovebeingmum
Parent on Board

yea think we kinda hijacked it! sorry frank!! hehe

Old 10-27-2005, 11:37 AM   #13
jjawsy
Parent on Board

jjawsy is an unknown quantity at this point

i saw this somewhere about friends and i thought i would add it... it just made me think back to the good old days and how my best friend and i would always get into trouble together... it really is true... what i would give to go back about 20 years and be a wild child again......

"A good friend will bail you out of jail, but a TRUE friend will be sitting there with you saying, Damn, we screwed up."
jjawsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2005, 05:09 PM   #14
smshybug

smshybug is an unknown quantity at this point

jjawsy, i just saw your little quote and let me tell yah, , that brings back some memories.
smshybug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2005, 05:54 PM   #15
dalilamakarma
Setting New Standards

dalilamakarma is an unknown quantity at this point

I have lots of aquantinces but only a handful of true friends.

"A good friend will bail you out of jail, but a TRUE friend will be sitting there with you saying, Damn, we screwed up."

My friends would be saying damn that was fun, next time lets not get caught. LOL
Old 10-28-2005, 05:56 PM   #16
smshybug

smshybug is an unknown quantity at this point

LOL, i'm afraid to ask dali.
smshybug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2005, 06:20 PM   #17
alim4547
Board Blazen Parent

alim4547 is an unknown quantity at this point

Over my life, I have had many people who claim to my friend, but push comes to shove, they aren't. That really hurts. I have a couple true friends, for which I am blessed. A friend who turns your back on you hurts worse than being dumped by a guy.
Old 10-28-2005, 08:10 PM   #18
Frosty
On the Board

Frosty is an unknown quantity at this point

It seems to me that we meet people during certain times in our lives who are friends for those times. How do I explain? We have childhood friends, and most of the time, we "out grow" that period of friendship. We move on to college years (or young adult years) and have different friends, then we get married and have kids. At that point, our friendships are usually centered around what is going on in our life at the time. Soccer moms, play-group parents, parents of kids at daycare I had a best friend when I lived in Texas, we helped each other, we were there for each other, etc. When I moved back to Maine, that friendship, over time, faded. Our lives moved on, the friendship did not. I have friends here now, in Maine, who I did not know when I lived here before, and I don't see most of the friends I had here when I was growing up. At this point, my friends are the people I work with, because that is where most of my time is spent. I think that for the most part, we value our friendships, but friendships are generally temporal. We value them when we are in them, remember the good times, but life is ever-changing. People move in and out of our lives constantly.
Frosty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2005, 01:41 AM   #19
alexmichele07 Female
Sparkles & Glitter

alexmichele07 Is Rocken These Boards With Supportalexmichele07 Is Rocken These Boards With Supportalexmichele07 Is Rocken These Boards With Supportalexmichele07 Is Rocken These Boards With Supportalexmichele07 Is Rocken These Boards With Supportalexmichele07 Is Rocken These Boards With Supportalexmichele07 Is Rocken These Boards With Supportalexmichele07 Is Rocken These Boards With Supportalexmichele07 Is Rocken These Boards With Supportalexmichele07 Is Rocken These Boards With Supportalexmichele07 Is Rocken These Boards With Support

"A true friend is someone who thinks that you are a good egg even though he knows that you are slightly cracked."

"A friend is one who knows us, but loves us anyway."

"Needing a friend is like needing a parachute. If he isn't there the first time you need him, chances are you won't be needing him again."

"Never exaggerate your faults, your friends will attend to that."

"I need you to know that our friendship means a lot - If you cry then i cry, if you laugh, then I laugh, if you jump out the window I look down, then I laugh again."

"Friends are god's way of apologizing for our families."
alexmichele07 is offline   Reply With Quote