Wild Dancing Thanksgivng Turkey My Sister's Keeper - Single Parents Forum: Single Family Voices
All forums, topics and discussions are geared to single parents and the issues faced with single parenting.
Support a single parent today and one will support you back!

Go Back   Single Parents Forum: Single Family Voices >
(``'·.¸(``'·.¸ Tips, Tricks & Ideas ¸.·'´´)¸.·'´´)
> Time For You > Book Club

~ Donate Today ~ PLEASE

Old 06-20-2009, 05:46 PM   #1
LSL Female
The blunt one;)

LSL Is a SFV Support LegendLSL Is a SFV Support LegendLSL Is a SFV Support LegendLSL Is a SFV Support LegendLSL Is a SFV Support LegendLSL Is a SFV Support LegendLSL Is a SFV Support LegendLSL Is a SFV Support LegendLSL Is a SFV Support LegendLSL Is a SFV Support LegendLSL Is a SFV Support Legend
Unhappy My Sister's Keeper

I just finished reading My Sister's Keeper last night. First, let me say that I normally like Jodi Picoult and that writing in this book is up to par. But, I have to say I have never felt sucker punched or so emotionally upset or disturbed in a book before in my life. I cried for hours after the book was finished.

I wanted to see the movie, but like any book made into a movie, I decided to read it first. The trailer for the movie has always intrigued me. Little Abigail Breslin walking into an attorney's office and saying, "I would like to sue my parents for the rights to my own body." First, it's precocious, second, it sounds so much like something my little A would say. As the book unfolded, this little girl reminded me more and more of my daughter. I could picture her reasoning things out the same way my A would, and say the same things my A would, and have the same fiesty, loving, determination that my A would.

Anyway, has anyone else read this? Did it leave you feeling depressed and empty at the end? I don't know if it is because I don't feel well. The one thing I know for sure is this is one movie I won't be seeing because I could not stand the emotional effects it would have on me.
Old 06-20-2009, 07:47 PM   #2
idig Female
SFV JUNKIE!!!

idig Is a SFV Support Legendidig Is a SFV Support Legendidig Is a SFV Support Legendidig Is a SFV Support Legendidig Is a SFV Support Legendidig Is a SFV Support Legendidig Is a SFV Support Legendidig Is a SFV Support Legendidig Is a SFV Support Legendidig Is a SFV Support Legendidig Is a SFV Support Legend
Default Re: My Sister's Keeper

I won't be reading it for the same reason you won't be seeing the movie. I have this weird gut feeling about how it ends, and I don't want to know.
Old 06-20-2009, 07:50 PM   #3
comingup4air Female
Putting my child first...

comingup4air Is Rocken These Boards With Supportcomingup4air Is Rocken These Boards With Supportcomingup4air Is Rocken These Boards With Supportcomingup4air Is Rocken These Boards With Supportcomingup4air Is Rocken These Boards With Supportcomingup4air Is Rocken These Boards With Supportcomingup4air Is Rocken These Boards With Supportcomingup4air Is Rocken These Boards With Supportcomingup4air Is Rocken These Boards With Supportcomingup4air Is Rocken These Boards With Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by idig View Post
I won't be reading it for the same reason you won't be seeing the movie. I have this weird gut feeling about how it ends, and I don't want to know.

SERIOUSLY, this could have been my response...word for word. I saw the ads and have heard about the movie and book.......I think it would upset me greatly.
Hangin' on by a thin-enough-happy-thread as it is.
comingup4air is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2009, 09:04 PM   #4
idig Female
SFV JUNKIE!!!

idig Is a SFV Support Legendidig Is a SFV Support Legendidig Is a SFV Support Legendidig Is a SFV Support Legendidig Is a SFV Support Legendidig Is a SFV Support Legendidig Is a SFV Support Legendidig Is a SFV Support Legendidig Is a SFV Support Legendidig Is a SFV Support Legendidig Is a SFV Support Legend

Ok, just read the wiki spoiler, I was right about the ending. Didn't know the details, of course, but the big part. Nope, not gonna see it or read it.

BTW, I added a couple of pic's to Marks grad album. One picture has the little girl with leukemia I asked for prayer for in it.
Old 06-20-2009, 09:42 PM   #5
LSL Female
The blunt one;)

LSL Is a SFV Support LegendLSL Is a SFV Support LegendLSL Is a SFV Support LegendLSL Is a SFV Support LegendLSL Is a SFV Support LegendLSL Is a SFV Support LegendLSL Is a SFV Support LegendLSL Is a SFV Support LegendLSL Is a SFV Support LegendLSL Is a SFV Support LegendLSL Is a SFV Support Legend

Yay, see I thought I had the ending all worked out. I know she really likes twisted endings so I knew something would happen. But I was thinking something different because usually the whole book doesn't leave me feeling very uncomfortable, just the endings. I was NOT expecting what happaned and felt like I got punched. I called my mother raging today asking her why should would recommend that book to me....sheesh.
Old 06-20-2009, 09:51 PM   #6
idig Female
SFV JUNKIE!!!

At first I thought I had it worked out and it would be happy, but I got this gut feeling the other day about the ending. I did think it would happen a little differently, as the result of a choice instead of how it did.

Yeah, I think I'd have been asking mom the same question. Real life can be tragic enough, I don't need tragedy in my entertainment.