Wild Dancing Thanksgivng Turkey Looking For Books - Single Parents Forum: Single Family Voices
All forums, topics and discussions are geared to single parents and the issues faced with single parenting.
Support a single parent today and one will support you back!

Go Back   Single Parents Forum: Single Family Voices >
(``'·.¸(``'·.¸ Tips, Tricks & Ideas ¸.·'´´)¸.·'´´)
> Time For You > Book Club

~ Donate Today ~ PLEASE

Old 10-06-2005, 12:23 PM   #1
alexmichele07 Female
Sparkles & Glitter

alexmichele07 Is Rocken These Boards With Supportalexmichele07 Is Rocken These Boards With Supportalexmichele07 Is Rocken These Boards With Supportalexmichele07 Is Rocken These Boards With Supportalexmichele07 Is Rocken These Boards With Supportalexmichele07 Is Rocken These Boards With Supportalexmichele07 Is Rocken These Boards With Supportalexmichele07 Is Rocken These Boards With Supportalexmichele07 Is Rocken These Boards With Supportalexmichele07 Is Rocken These Boards With Supportalexmichele07 Is Rocken These Boards With Support

I�m working on a research project for one of my psych classes on how inconsistent parents (in and out of their kids� lives) negatively affect their children. I may have to focus more on fathers, because there seems to be more research available on loser dads than on loser moms, but I�ll take any information I can find. If anyone knows of any good books, articles, or even web sites that have good information, I would love to know about them. The more information, the better!! Thanks!!
alexmichele07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2005, 12:23 PM   #2
alexmichele07 Female
Sparkles & Glitter

alexmichele07 Is Rocken These Boards With Supportalexmichele07 Is Rocken These Boards With Supportalexmichele07 Is Rocken These Boards With Supportalexmichele07 Is Rocken These Boards With Supportalexmichele07 Is Rocken These Boards With Supportalexmichele07 Is Rocken These Boards With Supportalexmichele07 Is Rocken These Boards With Supportalexmichele07 Is Rocken These Boards With Supportalexmichele07 Is Rocken These Boards With Supportalexmichele07 Is Rocken These Boards With Supportalexmichele07 Is Rocken These Boards With Support

I�m working on a research project for one of my psych classes on how inconsistent parents (in and out of their kids� lives) negatively affect their children. I may have to focus more on fathers, because there seems to be more research available on loser dads than on loser moms, but I�ll take any information I can find. If anyone knows of any good books, articles, or even web sites that have good information, I would love to know about them. The more information, the better!! Thanks!!
Old 10-06-2005, 01:04 PM   #3
jaydsdad
Setting New Standards

jaydsdad is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi alexmichele,

I haven't got time at the moment but I would like to know your results if I can. This subject is one of my pet interests too. Share with me what you find and when I have more time, I'll try to contribute as well. I was just reading last night on a Women's lobby site that would be considered extreme, to see their views. They mentioned the same stats as you seek but they certainly twisted the numbers. Unfortunately, they offered no substantial reasearch to back up their claims so I was going to see if I could find some anyways. Sad but true, you may have to focus on fathers more than mothers. How about we just call them "loser parents" instead since the problem is not gender specific. And I hold as much disdain for either gender when it comes to the losers who walk away from their responsibilities or don't keep a regular schedule.
Old 10-06-2005, 01:47 PM   #4
alexmichele07 Female
Sparkles & Glitter

Yes, I agree that "loser parents" negatively affect their kids, but using that as my topic will not allow me to be as specific as I would like to be. Mothers and fathers each contribute to the development of their children in different ways. I want to be able to focus on how they are needed and how their actions inhibit their children from developing in those areas in which that parent's contribution is needed, but either nonexistant or inconsistent. I want to be able to compare and contrast the effect of an inconsistent parent with a nonexistant parent. I'm collecting as much research as I can before I difinitively decide on the direction of the paper, and I'll be sure to post any good information I find so everyone can read it. And any contribution anyone can make will be much appreciated!!
Old 10-29-2005, 07:07 AM   #5
TooMuchButNeverEnough
I am New

TooMuchButNeverEnough is an unknown quantity at this point

Are you still looking for books?? fiction or nonfiction??

White Oleander is a great book about a "loser parent"
TooMuchButNeverEnough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2005, 09:22 PM   #6
Lurch
At A loss for Words - NOT!

Lurch is an unknown quantity at this point

I don't consider my ex a loser, nor am I. Maybe thats why I chose books that entertain, rather then, "slanted" real life books. The only real life book I ever got anything out of is "Men are from Mars, Women are from venus". Any way, if you look for books that bash the ____ out of the opposite s ex, you will find librarys full of them.

Lurch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2005, 01:36 PM   #7
alexmichele07 Female
Sparkles & Glitter

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Paulandhisgirls:
[qb] I don't consider my ex a loser, nor am I. Maybe thats why I chose books that entertain, rather then, "slanted" real life books. The only real life book I ever got anything out of is "Men are from Mars, Women are from venus". Any way, if you look for books that bash the ____ out of the opposite s ex, you will find librarys full of them. [/qb] </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Thank you for you imput, but I think you may have misinterpreted my original question. I am working on a research paper. I am not in the least bit interested in any books that "bash" the opposite ***. I am looking for research on how parents' specific actions (specifically parents that are not involved or involved very little) affect their children. This is not a paper directed to put down anyone. I think it's important to understand how our actions affect our kids, both negative and positive.

The paper and research are coming along very well, however I am always open to any new suggestions for good, factual, medical or even biographical books that could give me even more information. Man-bashing (or woman-bashing) books are not what I am looking for.
Old 11-08-2005, 06:58 PM   #8
Lurch

When I was going to university of the pacific, I used to get most of my info out of the stacks. They allways had loads of research. Sorry I got the wrong impression, I am good for that sometimes.

Old 11-08-2005, 08:30 PM   #9
Re-Mom Female
Mainiac

Re-Mom Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportRe-Mom Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportRe-Mom Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportRe-Mom Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportRe-Mom Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportRe-Mom Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportRe-Mom Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportRe-Mom Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportRe-Mom Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportRe-Mom Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportRe-Mom Has a SFV Diamond Heart of Support

Have you tried ERIC, a resource for educators but a LOT of psychological studies in there about families as well. I think you can access it online as well. Gosh my schooling in all of this was so long ago I can't remember much more than ERIC to give you. Sorry!

Call me if you need a delivery....

|^^^^^^^^^^^^^^| ||
|.........WINE TRUCK.........| ||'|";, ___.
|_..._..._______===|=||_|__|..., ] -)
"(@)'(@)"" "''"**|(@)(@)*****''(@)
Re-Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2005, 08:32 PM   #10
Re-Mom Female
Mainiac

Re-Mom Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportRe-Mom Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportRe-Mom Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportRe-Mom Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportRe-Mom Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportRe-Mom Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportRe-Mom Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportRe-Mom Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportRe-Mom Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportRe-Mom Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportRe-Mom Has a SFV Diamond Heart of Support

http://www.eric.ed.gov/ERICWebPortal/Home.portal?_nfpb=...661&searchtype=basic

That is not the home page, I typed in divorced parent for a search under keywords. I'm sure you can navigate your way around back to teh home page to make the search work better for you.

Call me if you need a delivery....

|^^^^^^^^^^^^^^| ||
|.........WINE TRUCK.........| ||'|";, ___.
|_..._..._______===|=||_|__|..., ] -)
"(@)'(@)"" "''"**|(@)(@)*****''(@)
Re-Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2005, 09:32 PM   #11
Lurch

geeze sue, you make it sound like you are posting out of the gerentology ward

Old 11-28-2005, 03:12 PM   #12
Judes
I am New

Judes is an unknown quantity at this point

I think that if at least one of the parents remains consistent and loves, give attention and remains positive the child would not be so affected. This has happened in my childs life. Teach children humour from a young age & they can learn to lighten up about things so they will not be so devastated.
If the lone parent makes that child their priority and does not neglect, blame them they will not be that effective in hurting the kids by their ex's inconsistency.
Judes is offline   Reply With Quote