Wild Dancing Thanksgivng Turkey Great parenting book - Single Parents Forum: Single Family Voices
All forums, topics and discussions are geared to single parents and the issues faced with single parenting.
Support a single parent today and one will support you back!

Go Back   Single Parents Forum: Single Family Voices >
(``'·.¸(``'·.¸ Tips, Tricks & Ideas ¸.·'´´)¸.·'´´)
> Time For You > Book Club

~ Donate Today ~ PLEASE

Old 09-02-2004, 10:30 PM   #1
BDad
On the Board

BDad is an unknown quantity at this point

P.E.T. Parent Effectiveness Training
by Dr. Thomas Gordon

This book was written in 1970 and was apparently a big hit. I've just discovered it, and I think it has some valuable insights about communication between parent and child. In fact, these insights seem useful in improving communication in any conflictual relationship. The book also talks about "no-lose" strategies to help resolve conflicts between parent and child. This approach seems much more honest and effective than the usual strategies, where either the parent wins and the child loses (strict/authoritarian) or the parent loses and the child wins (lenient/passive/non-confrontational).

I haven't actually TRIED any of these techniques yet, but they seem to make a LOT of sense.
BDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2004, 10:30 PM   #2
BDad
On the Board

BDad is an unknown quantity at this point

P.E.T. Parent Effectiveness Training
by Dr. Thomas Gordon

This book was written in 1970 and was apparently a big hit. I've just discovered it, and I think it has some valuable insights about communication between parent and child. In fact, these insights seem useful in improving communication in any conflictual relationship. The book also talks about "no-lose" strategies to help resolve conflicts between parent and child. This approach seems much more honest and effective than the usual strategies, where either the parent wins and the child loses (strict/authoritarian) or the parent loses and the child wins (lenient/passive/non-confrontational).

I haven't actually TRIED any of these techniques yet, but they seem to make a LOT of sense.
Old 09-02-2004, 11:06 PM   #3
Don Male
At A loss for Words - NOT!

Don will become famous soon enough

That sounds like a very good book actually. I grew up in a very strict/authoritarian home and feel it stifled some of my becoming my own person when I was younger, and I think it kept a certain amount of distance between me and my parents. Not to worry I've very much made up for that And I've seen the exact opposite where the kids just run over their parents at will. I've tried to raise my daughter on the middle road of that. I think it's important that she knows her opinions are important. I try more to keep her on the right path by way of reason than "because I said so". So far so good, guess I'll see how that holds up in a couple more years as she hits the teenage years. At least for now she basically recognizes the lines she should not cross, and which ones her opinions do come into play with my decisions.

I really do hope the teenage years aren't too bad.
Don is offline   Reply With Quote