Wild Dancing Thanksgivng Turkey A Million Little Pieces-James Frey - Single Parents Forum: Single Family Voices
All forums, topics and discussions are geared to single parents and the issues faced with single parenting.
Support a single parent today and one will support you back!

Go Back   Single Parents Forum: Single Family Voices >
(``'·.¸(``'·.¸ Tips, Tricks & Ideas ¸.·'´´)¸.·'´´)
> Time For You > Book Club

~ Donate Today ~ PLEASE

Old 01-12-2006, 09:18 PM   #1
mykidscomefirst
Visitor

Was wondering if anyone else has read this book?I have and really enjoyed it and saw Frey appear on Oprah Winfrey too.Now they are trying to say the book is not all true.Why would someone tell their life story and wanna lie about it?
Old 01-12-2006, 10:04 PM   #2
Melissa Jo
Setting New Standards

Melissa Jo is an unknown quantity at this point

I LOVE THIS BOOK!!!!!

Who is saying it is not true?

I suppose there could have been added drama. However, I visited James Freys website. He seems very genuine - down to earth and honest. I'd be surprised to find out it's not all true. In any case - it is an excellent read. I plan to read more books by Mr. Frey and probably A Million Little Pieces again!

P.S. Did you feel like you were starving while reading it? 'feed me, feed me, feed me!' I still have flashes of that every now and then!
Melissa Jo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2006, 09:59 AM   #3
aunder75
On the Board

aunder75 is an unknown quantity at this point

Sorry the be the wet blanket here....but the most of the book were lies. The publishing company has offered refunds to customers that pruchased the book directly from them and adviced others to return there books to the book store where it was purchased to seek a refund. Check out the web site "thesmokinggun.com" and it list his police record and everything.

Oprah has said that she is disappointed to learn the truth behind the book and that she put the fault on the publisher, because the did not investigate a book the titled "non fiction". But in the end she says that the message from the book remains the same.
aunder75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2006, 10:21 AM   #4
Melissa Jo
Setting New Standards

I am going to check out that website.

Although I agree - The message is the same! Whether it is fiction or non-fiction - The book is excellent and a good look into recovery. I'm disappointed to realize that there is a fuss being raised about this. I believe the book was and still can be inspiration for recovering addicts.
Old 01-13-2006, 01:01 PM   #5
mykidscomefirst
Visitor

M.J I have to agree with you that the book was and still is an inspiration to recovering addicts.I loved the book too and could not put it down till I was done...read in less than two days.I wondered what happened to him afterwards and then I caught him on Oprah a few weeks ago and it ends up he had been clean for 13 years and I was so proud of him.Maybe not all parts were 100% true but I believe in him.
Old 01-17-2006, 02:51 PM   #6
Lovebug
Board Member

Lovebug is an unknown quantity at this point

I read this book and would not request a refund or attempt to return my book. My reason being that I got out of the book what I wanted to. I wanted to read a book about an addict and his experience with rehab. I wasnt looking for a book to quote or to claim as fact. Even if some parts werent true I loved this book and would recommend it to anyone wondering about the word in which addicts live
Lovebug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2006, 02:54 PM   #7
aunder75
On the Board

aunder75 is an unknown quantity at this point

Don't get me wrong here, because I gave it two thumbs up. But where the "uproar" steams from was that he was not the "addict" or "criminal" that he claimed to be in the book. Yes it is inspirational, but think about it this way...say a person presenting themselves on this site to be a struggling single parent yadda yadda...then goes on to write a book on his or her "experience" with single parenthood...using some of our experiences...yet tweeking them a bit to just for "dramatic" effect....how would you feel.

Like I said I liked the book for the book not the author...but my aunt is a recovery addict (10 years clean) from crack and heroine with a shot of Jack Daniels....she read the book she enjoyed it but she just felt that "something" was taken from her journey ...she felt that it gave a "Hollywood" spin on it like it would soon be a made for TV movie. Her opinion is that if it helps someone turn to recovery then good but...then she just shakes her head and says let it go.....

End of all this rambling good message in the mist of 1/2 truths
aunder75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2006, 01:48 PM   #8
mykidscomefirst
Visitor

I just finished reading James Frey's next book..My Friend Leonard.It was a real fast read,took me just 4 hours.If you read his first book you should try and read this one.It's after he leaves rehab,does his time in jail and his life after that,that revolves around his friend Leonard.Another excellent book that James has wrote.
Old 01-21-2006, 06:24 PM   #9
Momma Bear
On the Board

Momma Bear is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for the info mkcf....
I didn't know there was another and just loved the first....am going to find it.....
Thanks again
Momma Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2006, 07:10 PM   #10
Melissa Jo
Setting New Standards

I plan to read it sometime soon! I haven't bought it yet. I haven't had too much time for reading lately!