Wild Dancing Thanksgivng Turkey Child support amount - Single Parents Forum: Single Family Voices
All forums, topics and discussions are geared to single parents and the issues faced with single parenting.
Support a single parent today and one will support you back!

Go Back   Single Parents Forum: Single Family Voices >
(``'·.¸(``'·.¸ Single Parenting - Issues ¸.·'´´)¸.·'´´)
> Military Single Parents

~ Donate Today ~ PLEASE

Old 08-21-2004, 07:05 AM   #1
amee
Board Member

amee is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Child support amount

I am just curious if anyone knows the going rate for child support through the military. My sons father set me up an allotment for $200 and to me that seems rediculously low for him being and e6, and having a high pay rate. I know it is different for every state how much support money you get but I am wondering if I should take further action to get more money. I do not want to take the father to court for more money b/c it is soo much drama but I want my son to have the fullest financial support. Anyone have any ideas??
amee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2004, 09:59 PM   #2
spirit05
Learning to Surf The Board

spirit05 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hey there,
I just finished getting information on child support for my little one in Cali. Yes, yours is really low and it does depend on the state. It also, depends if your married or not and how many kids you had together. I'll try and see what I can find out but I first need to know those figures. If you go to family services on base they can also break it down for you. Not sure if ya knew or not but he should cover for the kids medical costs (unless of course your happy with what ya got) and get access to the commisary (super market on base). There is a set percentage that he is required to pay. Just so you have an idea if he has been claimin her as a dependant as I found out mine did (e-5) he was getting an extra tax free $301 a month for BAH (housing) in Ventura,CA . So that alone gives ya an idea.

Till then take care
spirit05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2004, 06:43 AM   #3
amee
Board Member

Quote:
Originally posted by spirit05:
[qb]Hey there,
I just finished getting information on child support for my little one in Cali. Yes, yours is really low and it does depend on the state. It also, depends if your married or not and how many kids you had together. I'll try and see what I can find out but I first need to know those figures. If you go to family services on base they can also break it down for you. Not sure if ya knew or not but he should cover for the kids medical costs (unless of course your happy with what ya got) and get access to the commisary (super market on base). There is a set percentage that he is required to pay. Just so you have an idea if he has been claimin her as a dependant as I found out mine did (e-5) he was getting an extra tax free $301 a month for BAH (housing) in Ventura,CA . So that alone gives ya an idea.

Till then take care[/qb]
Ok, well I am not married to the father or anyone. We have 1 child together he also has 1 other one if that matters. He is an e-6. A friend here told me that youre suppose to get 22% of dads income so I called him lastnight to tell him that and he said to take $200 for sons medical. (WHICH he covers) DOes he think I am stupid??? THey dont pay for medical. Tri-Care is 100% free fir military that is the only reason I let my son be on his med-insurance. Can you believe he tried to pull that **** ? Or am I really dumb and do they pay? Anyway he is just trying to get out of paying me anymore and he makes me feel guilty like I am robbing him and only out for money. No, just want my kid to be properly taken care of. Why should we have to struggle for him. ANyway he said he makes $2310 a month so 20% is like 465 so that is a great deal more. I guess I will go to family services. ANd yes I do know about the comisary but the base is an hour away. Thank you so much for your input and hlep.
Old 08-24-2004, 02:10 PM   #4
spirit05
Learning to Surf The Board

spirit05 is an unknown quantity at this point

I feel your fustration. What a shame that he doesnt realize that this is about HIS childs financial well being it has nothing to do about robbing and guilt trips on either side. It has to do about his child and his financial responsibilties. As a suggestion try and get all the information before you approach your ex again. I went to family service and they gave me all the info i needed. Here in california because he is in the service it is his DUTY (under instruction) to pay 1/6% of his gross base pay and BAH as well as 100% insurance for your child. He should also, have a family care certificate plan with his child/children and your information on it this is to insure that the child is takin care of and provided for.
If he does not comply he can get into big trouble with his command. Try and set up a mediation between yourself, him and family services(I'm going to do this myself in a couple of weeks). Lay out the facts and hopefully you can come to an agreement on the allotment amount. Have him that day make the allotment at PSD (thats where they deal with their service record and pay). Just food for thought though if you dont want to go and deal with him that route you can file for child support through the state and once that gets processed you dont have to worry about making sure he pays his allotments for your child. It's hard to imagine that any parent custodial/non-custodial wont provide for their child....I finally decided to go through with this because my ex helped me realize that when he was getting that extra $301 a month for free for his child (And I'm using my savings)and him not mentioning it or putting it in the bank or towards our child that the only way to protect my childs future in terms of financial stability, we have to take action. Good luck and let me know how it goes. P.S. The other child doesnt apply to you. He's probably financially stressed if he is payin support to the other kid. In the end your child with him is still his responsiblity. Military gets hit up hard and prob with the two will HAVE to pay well over $600.
spirit05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2004, 03:44 PM   #5
All4Mine
Active Board Parent

All4Mine is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally posted by amee:
[qb]I am just curious if anyone knows the going rate for child support through the military. My sons father set me up an allotment for $200 and to me that seems rediculously low for him being and e6, and having a high pay rate. I know it is different for every state how much support money you get but I am wondering if I should take further action to get more money. I do not want to take the father to court for more money b/c it is soo much drama but I want my son to have the fullest financial support. Anyone have any ideas??[/qb]
Unfortunately, unless you two sit down and come to an agreement to increase that allotment, it won't happen. Allotment is defined as in choice. It is not ordered by any courts. If I may add....an E6 choosing to only give you an allotment of $200.00 is ridiculous. Maybe that can pay something in Nashville, but in California it won't get groceries. I'm an ex-wife of an active duty member and with his approval and agreement, he increased the current support by 100.00 vs. going back to court to increase the court-ordered child support. I get both...court and a 100.00 allotment, which he set up before deployment. Mama, doesn't hold her tongue by any means and it's always beneficial for them to work with the moms vs. getting their command involved or the courts.

I know you say you don't want to go to court regarding this issue and you are surviving off that amount...I applaud you.

Best Wishes
All4Mine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2004, 01:57 AM   #6
amee
Board Member

Quote:
Originally posted by All4Mine:
[qb]

Unfortunately, unless you two sit down and come to an agreement to increase that allotment, it won't happen. Allotment is defined as in choice. It is not ordered by any courts. If I may add....an E6 choosing to only give you an allotment of $200.00 is ridiculous. Maybe that can pay something in Nashville, but in California it won't get groceries. I'm an ex-wife of an active duty member and with his approval and agreement, he increased the current support by 100.00 vs. going back to court to increase the court-ordered child support. I get both...court and a 100.00 allotment, which he set up before deployment. Mama, doesn't hold her tongue by any means and it's always beneficial for them to work with the moms vs. getting their command involved or the courts.

I know you say you don't want to go to court regarding this issue and you are surviving off that amount...I applaud you.

Best Wishes [/qb]
Actually that is the problem. I am not surviving off of that amount. If I were I wouldnt even try to get more money out of him. It wouldnt be worth the fight. I also know that an allotment is set up by him and it is not a forced deal, that is why I am trying to get him to up the allotment himself or take the further action I need to take. And no the lousy $200 does not get me started for what I support my son with into the month. The thing that pisses me off the most is I struggle, and as the mother of his child he should have more respect than let me struggle. He wants to think I am just out for the money so he doesnt feel guilty but in reality I am the one who cant get a job b/c no one to watch our child and no way to pay for child care and if I continue college I have to get my mom to watch him. I drive our son in a piece of **** car when he drives a brand new suv with wheels, a satelite radio, and a system. He buys himself new clothes and shoes all the time. I am lucky if I get to buy my son the essential items he needs better yet myself. ANd I dont. My mom buys all of my sons clothes. Those are the reasons I am pissed and want the support MY SON (not I) deserve. Thank you for all of your guys input. I did talk to him and told him that the state requires 22% of income so he said he will get the allotment raised. I will give him 2 months tops...in the mean time I will not mention it again. If it doesnt get done I will take further action. I will let you all know. Thanks guys.
Old 09-01-2004, 11:59 AM   #7
All4Mine
Active Board Parent

All4Mine is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
[qb] I am just curious if anyone knows the going rate for child support through the military. My sons father set me up an allotment for $200 and to me that seems rediculously low for him being and e6, and having a high pay rate. I know it is different for every state how much support money you get but I am wondering if I should take further action to get more money. I do not want to take the father to court for more money b/c it is soo much drama but I want my son to have the fullest financial support. Anyone have any ideas?? [/qb]
In response to your last reply to me. You asked this forum a question, but then you become sarcastic and defensive. I was only stating what you wrote. Sorry, favor isn't fair, but life is what it is.

Once again, if you aren't surviving/making it off of the "lousy" 200.00, you don't want to take this matter to court, but you don't feel inclined/comfortable enough to ask him to raise this amount...then what was your question besides, "Is this amount low?" If I did not answer it correctly or to your liking...YES, it is extremely low to raise a child these days.

Your options: Work with him to raise it because being an E6 (one dependent) is very low

or

File the child support paperwork against him

Best Wishes!
All4Mine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2004, 06:28 PM   #8
Visitor

Quote:
[qb] I am just curious if anyone knows the going rate for child support through the military. My sons father set me up an allotment for $200 and to me that seems rediculously low for him being and e6, and having a high pay rate. I know it is different for every state how much support money you get but I am wondering if I should take further action to get more money. I do not want to take the father to court for more money b/c it is soo much drama but I want my son to have the fullest financial support. Anyone have any ideas?? [/qb]
$200 is low anywhere. My daughter father is an E-4 and they ordered him to pay 387. I live in San Antonio and it's pretty cheap out here. Being the I'm from So Cali. You can definately get more if you tried.
Old 09-13-2004, 06:40 PM   #9
Visitor

Quote:
[qb] <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by amee:
In response to your last reply to me. You asked this forum a question, but then you become sarcastic and defensive. I was only stating what you wrote. Sorry, favor isn't fair, but life is what it is.

Once again, if you aren't surviving/making it off of the "lousy" 200.00, you don't want to take this matter to court, but you don't feel inclined/comfortable enough to ask him to raise this amount...then what was your question besides, "Is this amount low?" If I did not answer it correctly or to your liking...YES, it is extremely low to raise a child these days.

Your options: Work with him to raise it because being an E6 (one dependent) is very low

or

Best Wishes! [/qb] </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Baby let me tell you somethin. If it's that's serious and you're struggling like that. There should be no question whether to file child support or not. They key is don't settle for a set amount. you want a percentage. If that's only child you get 20% of what he makes.f*ck the hassle of court you need to do what's best for your child and $200 ain't gone do it. Do what you need to do to survive.

I wish you the best
Old 09-13-2004, 06:40 PM   #10
Visitor

Quote:
[qb] <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by amee:

or

Best Wishes! [/qb] </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Baby let me tell you somethin. If it's that's serious and you're struggling like that. There should be no question whether to file child support or not. They key is don't settle for a set amount. you want a percentage. If that's only child you get 20% of what he makes.f*ck the hassle of court you need to do what's best for your child and $200 ain't gone do it. Do what you need to do to survive.

I wish you the best
Old 09-21-2004, 05:57 PM   #11
lwh
I am New

lwh is an unknown quantity at this point

just a thought - if you go to http://www.dfas.mil you can find out exactly what any service member makes as well as all the military rules on garnishment, etc.
lwh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 03:59 AM   #12
princess88 Female
I am New

princess88 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Child suppor amount

i currently get child support for my son i get 491.62 and that was court ordered. and for an E-5 he got rank recently and me and my husband are trying to get him to sign rights over cause he has nothing to do with him. he even has a new baby boy with my sons name. so we plain to raise the child support. and thats with my son suppose to be on his medical and dental order by the court. he's not of course. trust me go to court. it may not be fun but at least you get what will help instead of something that won't help. and it comes out of their check and they never see it. and this was all done in the state of oklahoma. i hope i helped.
princess88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 03:02 AM   #13
SingleMomAZ Female
Board Blazen Parent

SingleMomAZ is an unknown quantity at this point

Military doesn't establish child support UNLESS it's the Marine Corps. I know this as I first went through the USMC to get some support since I had an inside source that shared with me a family law via USMC. The other branches do not support anything like this. Also, because the USMC is not a court of law, I had to go through the court system. Not only that but I was only receiving $286 and they didn't go back for arrears. I now get nearly 3x as much since I went to court.

---------- Post added 02-29-2012 at 12:02 AM ---------- Previous post was 02-28-2012 at 11:59 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by amee View Post
Actually that is the problem. I am not surviving off of that amount. If I were I wouldnt even try to get more money out of him. It wouldnt be worth the fight. I also know that an allotment is set up by him and it is not a forced deal, that is why I am trying to get him to up the allotment himself or take the further action I need to take. And no the lousy $200 does not get me started for what I support my son with into the month. The thing that pisses me off the most is I struggle, and as the mother of his child he should have more respect than let me struggle. He wants to think I am just out for the money so he doesnt feel guilty but in reality I am the one who cant get a job b/c no one to watch our child and no way to pay for child care and if I continue college I have to get my mom to watch him. I drive our son in a piece of **** car when he drives a brand new suv with wheels, a satelite radio, and a system. He buys himself new clothes and shoes all the time. I am lucky if I get to buy my son the essential items he needs better yet myself. ANd I dont. My mom buys all of my sons clothes. Those are the reasons I am pissed and want the support MY SON (not I) deserve. Thank you for all of your guys input. I did talk to him and told him that the state requires 22% of income so he said he will get the allotment raised. I will give him 2 months tops...in the mean time I will not mention it again. If it doesnt get done I will take further action. I will let you all know. Thanks guys.
LOL not worth the fight?!?!?! Of course it is and it's not a "fight" at all LOL My child support nearly TRIPLED after going to court.

---------- Post added at 12:02 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:02 AM ----------

Quote:
LOL not worth the fight?!?!?! Of course it is and it's not a "fight" at all LOL My child support nearly TRIPLED after going to court.
Old 02-29-2012, 01:59 PM   #14
Dad1st4boys Male
Failure is not an Option.

Dad1st4boys Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportDad1st4boys Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportDad1st4boys Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportDad1st4boys Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportDad1st4boys Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportDad1st4boys Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportDad1st4boys Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportDad1st4boys Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportDad1st4boys Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportDad1st4boys Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportDad1st4boys Has a SFV Diamond Heart of Support

Even if it just a few dollars a month, it is a start and WILL go up.

At the time of my Divorce I asked that my ex not pay child support. The Judge set CS at $30 a month. A year later she took me to ourt to get custody of the younger 2 boys. The boys stayed with me and her CS went up to $240 a month (Grandfathered in 6 months) So she ended up in the rears. Then she filed a change in CS because DS1 turned 18, CS is now at $320 a month. She took me to court this month to complain (the judge's ruling has not changed anything) and now the State of Kansas has a CS increase of 3 to 12% depending on ages of the kids kicking in in Apr...
You'd think she'd figure out that every time she takes me to court CS goes up..... Karma??

But get CS on the books and let the system do the rest. I don't have to do anything to collect or adjust CS, the Court Services does it all.

The Only Easy Day was Yesterday. NavSpecWar

If it is Important to us we make it happen.......
If it's not, then we make excuses...
Dad1st4boys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 02:23 PM   #15
LSL Female
The blunt one;)

LSL Is a SFV Support LegendLSL Is a SFV Support LegendLSL Is a SFV Support LegendLSL Is a SFV Support LegendLSL Is a SFV Support LegendLSL Is a SFV Support LegendLSL Is a SFV Support LegendLSL Is a SFV Support LegendLSL Is a SFV Support LegendLSL Is a SFV Support LegendLSL Is a SFV Support Legend

And on thing I don't get is that once there is an order, it is EASY to get the children included on Tricare. It is as simple as calling the commanding officer and having a chat that the "father" will not take care if it....... no soldier wants their CO to hear that.
Old 02-29-2012, 03:10 PM   #16
Bluemoon Female
just an old hippie chick

Bluemoon Is a SFV Support LegendBluemoon Is a SFV Support LegendBluemoon Is a SFV Support LegendBluemoon Is a SFV Support LegendBluemoon Is a SFV Support LegendBluemoon Is a SFV Support LegendBluemoon Is a SFV Support LegendBluemoon Is a SFV Support LegendBluemoon Is a SFV Support LegendBluemoon Is a SFV Support LegendBluemoon Is a SFV Support Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dad1st4boys View Post
So she ended up in the rears.
I'm sorry, but given who he is talking about... ::

To disagree, one doesn't have to be disagreeable. ~Barry M. Goldwater and Jack Casserly, Goldwater

Life is all about how you handle Plan B. ~ off a Blue Mountain Arts calendar
Bluemoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 08:07 PM   #17
SingleMomAZ Female
Board Blazen Parent

SingleMomAZ is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSL View Post
And on thing I don't get is that once there is an order, it is EASY to get the children included on Tricare. It is as simple as calling the commanding officer and having a chat that the "father" will not take care if it....... no soldier wants their CO to hear that.
Yes, very true.
Old 09-01-2012, 07:23 AM   #18
Amomfor2 Female
Board Member

Amomfor2 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Child support amount

Which state has jurisdiction? It's that state's child support guidelines that will tell you how much child support should be.

---------- Post added at 06:23 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:21 AM ----------

Quote:
Ok, well I am not married to the father or anyone. We have 1 child together he also has 1 other one if that matters. He is an e-6. A friend here told me that youre suppose to get 22% of dads income so I called him lastnight to tell him that and he said to take $200 for sons medical. (WHICH he covers) DOes he think I am stupid???
He's hoping that you will just take his word for it. As for the calculation, the prior child support order will likely be deducted from his income before the child support for your child is calculated.
Amomfor2 is offline   Reply With Quote