Wild Dancing Thanksgivng Turkey Brushing a 5 yr old's teeth. - Single Parents Forum: Single Family Voices
All forums, topics and discussions are geared to single parents and the issues faced with single parenting.
Support a single parent today and one will support you back!

Go Back   Single Parents Forum: Single Family Voices >
(``'·.¸(``'·.¸ Single Parenting - Through The Ages¸.·'´´)¸.·'´´)
> Babes, Children & Teens > Mid Childhood: 4 - 10

~ Donate Today ~ PLEASE

Old 01-17-2010, 09:00 PM   #1
comingup4air Female
Putting my child first...

comingup4air Is Rocken These Boards With Supportcomingup4air Is Rocken These Boards With Supportcomingup4air Is Rocken These Boards With Supportcomingup4air Is Rocken These Boards With Supportcomingup4air Is Rocken These Boards With Supportcomingup4air Is Rocken These Boards With Supportcomingup4air Is Rocken These Boards With Supportcomingup4air Is Rocken These Boards With Supportcomingup4air Is Rocken These Boards With Supportcomingup4air Is Rocken These Boards With Support
humm Brushing a 5 yr old's teeth.

Getting E to brush her teeth is no fun. Usually involves bribing or yelling or her crying or whatever. I don't get this. I say stuff like, her teeth will rot out and she'll look awful and she says, good!
SO, I call her in and brush her teeth and she's mad that she has to.
You all were so helpful with the clothes questions, just thought I'd toss another problem out there.
And....as an fyi, threatening or yelling makes her even more stubborn and then she clamps her lips together and it just goes downhill from there.
comingup4air is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 09:03 PM   #2
FlyingDevildog Male
Banned

FlyingDevildog has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDevildog has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDevildog has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDevildog has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDevildog has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDevildog has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Brushing a 5 yr old's teeth.

Have you tryed brushing your teeth with her as she is brushing hers?
FlyingDevildog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 09:06 PM   #3
alexmichele07 Female
Sparkles & Glitter

alexmichele07 Is Rocken These Boards With Supportalexmichele07 Is Rocken These Boards With Supportalexmichele07 Is Rocken These Boards With Supportalexmichele07 Is Rocken These Boards With Supportalexmichele07 Is Rocken These Boards With Supportalexmichele07 Is Rocken These Boards With Supportalexmichele07 Is Rocken These Boards With Supportalexmichele07 Is Rocken These Boards With Supportalexmichele07 Is Rocken These Boards With Supportalexmichele07 Is Rocken These Boards With Supportalexmichele07 Is Rocken These Boards With Support

Tell her if she doesn't brush her teeth she will get cavities and that involves needles.
alexmichele07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 09:07 PM   #4
idig Female
SFV JUNKIE!!!

idig Is a SFV Support Legendidig Is a SFV Support Legendidig Is a SFV Support Legendidig Is a SFV Support Legendidig Is a SFV Support Legendidig Is a SFV Support Legendidig Is a SFV Support Legendidig Is a SFV Support Legendidig Is a SFV Support Legendidig Is a SFV Support Legendidig Is a SFV Support Legend

That strong will is going to be a good thing when she is older, but hard on you right now! Have you tried letting her pick out her own toothbrush and toothpaste?

Tried making it a giggle game, where you sing a goofy song and make faces as she brushes or you brush?
Old 01-17-2010, 09:11 PM   #5
nadee_09 Female
At A loss for Words - NOT!

nadee_09 has a reputation beyond reputenadee_09 has a reputation beyond reputenadee_09 has a reputation beyond reputenadee_09 has a reputation beyond reputenadee_09 has a reputation beyond reputenadee_09 has a reputation beyond reputenadee_09 has a reputation beyond reputenadee_09 has a reputation beyond repute

Hmmmm, right now I tell DD there are bugs in there and I got to get them out. Sometimes its spiders, but mostly ladybugs! We usually take turns, and she thinks its sooooo funny if I brush her tongue. She says it tickles. But, this idea, might be too young for E. Some of my friends with older kids think electric/battery operated tooth brushes are just so awesome. Might be worth a try.
nadee_09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 09:13 PM   #6
Bluemoon Female
just an old hippie chick

Bluemoon Is a SFV Support LegendBluemoon Is a SFV Support LegendBluemoon Is a SFV Support LegendBluemoon Is a SFV Support LegendBluemoon Is a SFV Support LegendBluemoon Is a SFV Support LegendBluemoon Is a SFV Support LegendBluemoon Is a SFV Support LegendBluemoon Is a SFV Support LegendBluemoon Is a SFV Support LegendBluemoon Is a SFV Support Legend

Hmmm, I read that you are supposed to brush for a certain amount of time that could be measured by singing a song. It's the same as Idigs advice basically, but maybe you could bet or dare her that she can't brush her teeth and sing the song...the whole song at the same time?
Pants on the ground (scurb, scrub), pants on the ground (scrub, scrub)....

To disagree, one doesn't have to be disagreeable. ~Barry M. Goldwater and Jack Casserly, Goldwater

Life is all about how you handle Plan B. ~ off a Blue Mountain Arts calendar
Bluemoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 09:13 PM   #7
idig Female
SFV JUNKIE!!!

idig Is a SFV Support Legendidig Is a SFV Support Legendidig Is a SFV Support Legendidig Is a SFV Support Legendidig Is a SFV Support Legendidig Is a SFV Support Legendidig Is a SFV Support Legendidig Is a SFV Support Legendidig Is a SFV Support Legendidig Is a SFV Support Legendidig Is a SFV Support Legend

Oh, yea, M went through a battery operated phase. He even had one that played music! It was only like 8 or 10 bucks.
Old 01-17-2010, 09:17 PM   #8
Bluemoon Female
just an old hippie chick

Bluemoon Is a SFV Support LegendBluemoon Is a SFV Support LegendBluemoon Is a SFV Support LegendBluemoon Is a SFV Support LegendBluemoon Is a SFV Support LegendBluemoon Is a SFV Support LegendBluemoon Is a SFV Support LegendBluemoon Is a SFV Support LegendBluemoon Is a SFV Support LegendBluemoon Is a SFV Support LegendBluemoon Is a SFV Support Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by idig View Post
Oh, yea, M went through a battery operated phase. He even had one that played music! It was only like 8 or 10 bucks.
Yes, E has one, too. You can get a colgate one for like $5 and they have princess ones and Spongebob ones...I admit, I kinda assumed CU4A had one, .

To disagree, one doesn't have to be disagreeable. ~Barry M. Goldwater and Jack Casserly, Goldwater

Old 01-17-2010, 09:23 PM   #9
comingup4air Female

comingup4air Is Rocken These Boards With Supportcomingup4air Is Rocken These Boards With Supportcomingup4air Is Rocken These Boards With Supportcomingup4air Is Rocken These Boards With Supportcomingup4air Is Rocken These Boards With Supportcomingup4air Is Rocken These Boards With Supportcomingup4air Is Rocken These Boards With Supportcomingup4air Is Rocken These Boards With Supportcomingup4air Is Rocken These Boards With Supportcomingup4air Is Rocken These Boards With Support

Yea....tried the battery ones, the pretty ones....all different types of toothpastes...she has had 4 cavaties and the needles and all that. I sing songs, try games, brush my teeth with her, and brush the tongue. She just says she shouldn't have to if she doesn't WANT to, since it's her teeth. SHe is VERY stubborn and always has a comeback. But all your ideas were great! I've tried them, though. Sigh.

---------- Post added at 08:23 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:21 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by nadee_09 View Post
Hmmmm, right now I tell DD there are bugs in there and I got to get them out. Sometimes its spiders, but mostly ladybugs! We usually take turns, and she thinks its sooooo funny if I brush her tongue. She says it tickles. But, this idea, might be too young for E. Some of my friends with older kids think electric/battery operated tooth brushes are just so awesome. Might be worth a try.
The only thing that IS a new idea is Nat's bug idea. I could change it up some since she's older, but E HATES bugs. Terrified of spiders, etc. I wonder how I could work that in. But, I also don't want her thinking there are spiders in her mouth and all.
I don't know.
Old 01-17-2010, 09:27 PM   #10
Bluemoon Female
just an old hippie chick

You could tell her that spiders are attracted to unbrushed teeth and that if she doesn't brush them before bed they might want to crawl in there while she's sleeping...but that they HATE the smell of toothpaste...in the morning you could be checking to make sure none would think of comming near her during the day...?

Old 01-17-2010, 09:30 PM   #11
comingup4air Female

ooooh....that's good, Blue. At this point I'll try most anything. Thanks!
Old 01-17-2010, 09:36 PM   #12
sara1 Female
Setting New Standards

sara1 Has Heart and Soul of an Angelsara1 Has Heart and Soul of an Angelsara1 Has Heart and Soul of an Angelsara1 Has Heart and Soul of an Angelsara1 Has Heart and Soul of an Angelsara1 Has Heart and Soul of an Angelsara1 Has Heart and Soul of an Angelsara1 Has Heart and Soul of an Angelsara1 Has Heart and Soul of an Angelsara1 Has Heart and Soul of an Angelsara1 Has Heart and Soul of an Angel

Try to pretend you are rabid animals and see how much foam both of you can make with the paste and brush
Old 01-17-2010, 09:39 PM   #13
Borealis Male
Board Blazen Parent

Borealis is on a distinguished road

Our dentist calls them sugar bugs and gives us the red reveal tablets. Girls love using them. We have the electric toothbrushes. DD's really like those wisp brushes. Get em at the market in checkout for a buck or so. Maybe the sugar bug/ reveal tabs might help. Hope so.

How do you know a toothbrush was invented in Arkansas? If it was invented anywhere else it would have been called a Teethbrush.

Pick-up line in Alaska- nice tooth.

And my apologies to our Arkansas single parents. Use any state you want.

---------- Post added at 04:39 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:38 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluemoon View Post
You could tell her that spiders are attracted to unbrushed teeth and that if she doesn't brush them before bed they might want to crawl in there while she's sleeping...but that they HATE the smell of toothpaste...in the morning you could be checking to make sure none would think of comming near her during the day...?
I want my mommy
Old 01-17-2010, 09:57 PM   #14
alexmichele07 Female
Sparkles & Glitter

alexmichele07 Is Rocken These Boards With Supportalexmichele07 Is Rocken These Boards With Supportalexmichele07 Is Rocken These Boards With Supportalexmichele07 Is Rocken These Boards With Supportalexmichele07 Is Rocken These Boards With Supportalexmichele07 Is Rocken These Boards With Supportalexmichele07 Is Rocken These Boards With Supportalexmichele07 Is Rocken These Boards With Supportalexmichele07 Is Rocken These Boards With Supportalexmichele07 Is Rocken These Boards With Supportalexmichele07 Is Rocken These Boards With Support

DD likes to use mouthwash afterward. She has the kind that you can see the "germs" that are left when she spits so she's always competing with herself to see if she can brush well enough not to have any "germs" left over when she does the mouthwash.
alexmichele07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 01:08 AM   #15
maria32 Female
Board Member

maria32 is an unknown quantity at this point

i have such a hard time with my two yr old and brushing her teeth. I was hoping as she got older it would get easier, but I see your still having a hard time. They gave you good advice, i never considered natural toothpaste, but something to think about ( not sure she'll like it, since i thought she would love the flavored ones)..good luck and keep us posted on what worked for your little one
maria32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 09:57 PM   #16
coffeemom12 Female
On the Board

coffeemom12 is an unknown quantity at this point

M just started taking showers and loves brushing her teeth in the shower. I have no problem getting her to brush there. Otherwise its a battle.
coffeemom12 is offline   Reply With Quote