Wild Dancing Thanksgivng Turkey Musical Instruments - Single Parents Forum: Single Family Voices
All forums, topics and discussions are geared to single parents and the issues faced with single parenting.
Support a single parent today and one will support you back!

Go Back   Single Parents Forum: Single Family Voices >
(``'·.¸(``'·.¸ Single Parenting - Through The Ages¸.·'´´)¸.·'´´)
> Babes, Children & Teens > Mid Childhood: 4 - 10

~ Donate Today ~ PLEASE

Old 04-03-2013, 11:24 AM   #1
comingup4air Female
Putting my child first...

comingup4air Is Rocken These Boards With Supportcomingup4air Is Rocken These Boards With Supportcomingup4air Is Rocken These Boards With Supportcomingup4air Is Rocken These Boards With Supportcomingup4air Is Rocken These Boards With Supportcomingup4air Is Rocken These Boards With Supportcomingup4air Is Rocken These Boards With Supportcomingup4air Is Rocken These Boards With Supportcomingup4air Is Rocken These Boards With Supportcomingup4air Is Rocken These Boards With Support
Cool Musical Instruments

What do you guys think about starting your kids on musical instruments? If you have started early, was it great or a disaster? E has been begging me to play piano and guitar since she was 4 and I just don't even know when she would find the time. She is now 8 and still asking. I don't want to wait until school next year since it's just recorders that the kids are allowed to play. I think it will be good to teach them about notes and the staff, but what she really wants is to play guitar. So, now I am thinking of looking further into it. Just wanted some other views.

Idig is the backbone and center for all of us!
Blue lives where I want to live.
AM is the person who keeps me sane.
Lisa is the person who makes dreams real.
Natty inspires me.
Dad and Muskie restored my faith in men.
*Favorite quote from Blue: Sometimes being smart just means you can justify things to yourself more creatively- and better fool others into enabling you.
comingup4air is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 11:38 AM   #2
Re-Mom Female
Mainiac

Re-Mom Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportRe-Mom Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportRe-Mom Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportRe-Mom Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportRe-Mom Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportRe-Mom Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportRe-Mom Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportRe-Mom Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportRe-Mom Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportRe-Mom Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportRe-Mom Has a SFV Diamond Heart of Support
Default Re: Musical Instruments

I think it is one of the best things you can do for your kids! Guitar will be easier in the long run as it won't mean you need to buy a piano -- though we made it the first year with a keyboard (you can buy pedals for them once they get to that point). Guitar would be fun! Kids who learn instruments have an easier time in math! The only instrument anybody here had trouble with was the flute...it was M's and it annoyed her she couldn't see her hands (I guess that is a big part of the difficulty of learning it) She's also a lefty! D learned it fine and O has taught herself through the middle school levels of it.

Ukelele's are fun, too! Very easy to learn and cheap! You just need to keep tuning them due to cheap strings, but tuners can be purchased for $15 online and it is easy.

We also have a trumpet here! D still plays now and then. She's taught herself some guitar.

Violin, I guess is a bit more difficult... only O plays that but she's a natural when it comes to music and is doing great with it... I'd say it gave her a bit more difficulty than anything else?

I'd have to ask the girls. One nice thing was that certain instruments use the same notes... so they'd learn one and could teach themselves another. I know D was popping back and forth from trumpet to flute book..she self taught the flute. I can't remember which ones go with which notes thoughLOL It wasn't what I had thought it would be.

Call me if you need a delivery....

|^^^^^^^^^^^^^^| ||
|.........WINE TRUCK.........| ||'|";, ___.
|_..._..._______===|=||_|__|..., ] -)
"(@)'(@)"" "''"**|(@)(@)*****''(@)
Re-Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 12:05 PM   #3
comingup4air Female

comingup4air Is Rocken These Boards With Supportcomingup4air Is Rocken These Boards With Supportcomingup4air Is Rocken These Boards With Supportcomingup4air Is Rocken These Boards With Supportcomingup4air Is Rocken These Boards With Supportcomingup4air Is Rocken These Boards With Supportcomingup4air Is Rocken These Boards With Supportcomingup4air Is Rocken These Boards With Supportcomingup4air Is Rocken These Boards With Supportcomingup4air Is Rocken These Boards With Support

I think it is a great thing for kids.....music was a great outlet for me as a child and young adult. She just has so much going on. Taking on one more thing seems crazy and the cost for lessons here is crazy.
But, she keeps asking and when someone has an instrument she is drawn to it.
Old 04-03-2013, 12:40 PM   #4
Re-Mom Female
Mainiac

Re-Mom Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportRe-Mom Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportRe-Mom Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportRe-Mom Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportRe-Mom Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportRe-Mom Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportRe-Mom Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportRe-Mom Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportRe-Mom Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportRe-Mom Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportRe-Mom Has a SFV Diamond Heart of Support

She's 8 now... so 3rd grade? Not close to when they offer it in school I'm guessing? Get her a little keyboard and a learn to play book or something like that... see how she does. You could do the same with guitar or even go ukelele, they are fun and very very easy to learn to play. That way you aren't committing to any more time for lessons, practice, etc. nor a weekly payment!

|^^^^^^^^^^^^^^| ||
Old 04-03-2013, 12:49 PM   #5
Claire Marie Female
On the Board

Claire Marie is an unknown quantity at this point

If she is asking, then I'd say its time to give it a try! Being interested it great incentive to 'keep at it' and practice. Learning guitar cords/strumming would give fast results vs the tedious note learning of playing which can come later.
Claire Marie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 12:59 PM   #6
Woodsimply Female
Thinks too much

Woodsimply Has Heart and Soul of an AngelWoodsimply Has Heart and Soul of an AngelWoodsimply Has Heart and Soul of an AngelWoodsimply Has Heart and Soul of an AngelWoodsimply Has Heart and Soul of an AngelWoodsimply Has Heart and Soul of an AngelWoodsimply Has Heart and Soul of an AngelWoodsimply Has Heart and Soul of an AngelWoodsimply Has Heart and Soul of an AngelWoodsimply Has Heart and Soul of an AngelWoodsimply Has Heart and Soul of an Angel

Quote:
Originally Posted by comingup4air View Post
What do you guys think about starting your kids on musical instruments? If you have started early, was it great or a disaster? E has been begging me to play piano and guitar since she was 4 and I just don't even know when she would find the time. She is now 8 and still asking. I don't want to wait until school next year since it's just recorders that the kids are allowed to play. I think it will be good to teach them about notes and the staff, but what she really wants is to play guitar. So, now I am thinking of looking further into it. Just wanted some other views.

I didnt read the replies, but my vote would be guitar. You can find nice ones at most pawn shops for reasonable prices, since this is what most people tend to collect and then pawn when times are hard.
Only bad thing is, here anyway, they didnt teach guitar in middle or HS band. B was self taught.
And you could always get her a nice keyboard for Christmas as a bonus

You cannot get an answer, if you do not ask the question. Say what you need to say.
~Just me
Woodsimply is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 02:08 PM   #7
comingup4air Female

She is 8, but currently in 2nd grade. Missed the cutoff! They do recorders here in 3rd grade. I think you can't do a 'real' instrument until 5th. And it isn't ever guitar or piano.
We have a keyboard, but no stand or pedals. I am gonna see about some learn to play books and if she uses them and seems to retain an interest, go for a bigger commitment. I'll also scope for a used kid-sized guitar and books.
Old 04-03-2013, 03:12 PM   #8
Re-Mom Female
Mainiac

Used guitar should be easy to find! Don't bother with those discount store kid ones though. You should be able to find a real one about the same price, used.

|^^^^^^^^^^^^^^| ||