Wild Dancing Thanksgivng Turkey Calling All Texans....... - Single Parents Forum: Single Family Voices
All forums, topics and discussions are geared to single parents and the issues faced with single parenting.
Support a single parent today and one will support you back!

Go Back   Single Parents Forum: Single Family Voices >
(``'·.¸(``'·.¸ Single Parent Ville ¸.·'´´)¸.·'´´)
> Single Parents in the United States of America > Texas

~ Donate Today ~ PLEASE

Old 11-28-2004, 12:00 AM   #1
Gabriel's Mom
Setting New Standards

Gabriel's Mom is an unknown quantity at this point

Hey girls (and guys)
Just thought I'd start a new post for planning our night out. So would the Dallas area be the easiest and closest for everyone? Plus Dallas has a ton of things to do. Any ideas or suggestions.....
Gabriel's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2004, 12:00 AM   #2
Gabriel's Mom
Setting New Standards

Hey girls (and guys)
Just thought I'd start a new post for planning our night out. So would the Dallas area be the easiest and closest for everyone? Plus Dallas has a ton of things to do. Any ideas or suggestions.....
Old 11-30-2004, 01:19 AM   #3
t&j's mom
On the Board

t&j's mom is an unknown quantity at this point

Hey Gabriel's Mom, as you know from the other post, I'm not in Texas, but count me in for the week my company flies me out there. I'll be in Plano. Probably some time in January. Itinerary TBD.
t&j's mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2004, 04:28 PM   #4
Grammy36
Parent on Board

Grammy36 is an unknown quantity at this point

Finally, I haven't been able too post. Dallas is great for me. Dancing!!! Dinner. I love too dress up.
Old 11-30-2004, 11:01 PM   #5
Gabriel's Mom
Setting New Standards

Yeah I hadn't been able to post either. Yay, a dressing up night! Yeah we will have to plan it for when you're here in January. Good too, then we can get the holidays out of the way. I'm a bad dancer, but I'll try.

Old 12-01-2004, 03:54 PM   #6
Grammy36
Parent on Board

Who cares, I am not the greatest anymore. Plus, if we go to the gay mens bar The Village, It is so packed with bodies that it doesn't matter. My girlfriends here like to go there because the chances of finding Mr. Wrong is limited. But the men love to dance, don't care if your female, and tell you how gorgeous you look. FUN place for really late night. Tons of straight people too, cause it stays open until 4 am. That is why I suggested hotel rooms downtown.
Old 12-02-2004, 02:50 AM   #7
t&j's mom
On the Board

Hey Shana, are you suggesting we stay out until 4:00 a.m.? Just kidding. Since I don't know Dallas at all, I'll leave the planning up to you locals.
Old 12-02-2004, 08:26 AM   #8
Grammy36
Parent on Board

You never know!! I usually am in bed by 9:30, but on occasion I get a wild hair. I will take a nap the day we go out.
Old 12-03-2004, 12:10 AM   #9
Gabriel's Mom
Setting New Standards

sounds like a blast Grammy! I've always wanted to go to a gay bar. Some of the nicest men I have met are gay and the funnest to be around. One gay guy I met when I was in college fell in love with my feet. haha 9 1/2 yes they're big for a girl who is 5'2". he told me they were pretty. And more then likely I could dance have fun and not have some guy trying to take me home. :-)
Old 12-03-2004, 08:21 AM   #10
Grammy36
Parent on Board

It is a blast as long as you don't have moral issues with it. But watch out, my friend Tisha was pursued my a guy who swore he was straight. (He was there alone, not with a group.) We laughed our heads off because it freaked Tisha out. I will probably have her join us, she is single mom of 3.
Old 12-03-2004, 11:27 AM   #11
Gabriel's Mom
Setting New Standards

Yeah I would have fun, I don't neccessary agree with it, but I don't think it's any reason to not be around people who choice that life style. That is funny, I probably would of been laughing as well. Sounds great the more the better.

Amy
Old 12-03-2004, 11:53 AM   #12
TxGeckogal
I am New

TxGeckogal is an unknown quantity at this point

So, this night out thing is for anyone who lives in Texas and wants to meet up, right?

Shirah
TxGeckogal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2004, 01:38 PM   #13
Grammy36
Parent on Board

Right, It should be fun.
Old 12-04-2004, 01:49 AM   #14
t&j's mom
On the Board

Hey Shirah, I don't live in Texas but will be there some time in January ..... so to answer your question, I think it's for anyone who can come ..... even if it means coming from Mars. hehehe. I look forward to meeting everyone.
Old 12-06-2004, 05:29 PM   #15
Gabriel's Mom
Setting New Standards

Exactly anyone who wants to come is welcome. The more of us the funner I think it'll be.
Old 12-07-2004, 04:42 PM   #16
Grammy36
Parent on Board

Hi guys, can't wait for January. Hey GM, I was in your neck of the woods yesterday. I went to North East Mall. It was great, when do you want to get together for lunch? The people are so much friendlier there. Also, Gabriel is welcome. I don't mind lunching with little ones. PM me and I will give you my Cell#
Old 12-08-2004, 10:36 AM   #17
Gabriel's Mom
Setting New Standards

Well for lunch I'm not sure when just yet. I'm going to Waco this weekend. My room mates from college are graduating! Yay! Then on next Tuesday I am going to stay at my sister's for a bit while her boyfriend goes out of town. Going to Mineral Wells which is like 45 minutes south west of me. From the way things are going it'll probably have to be after the holidays. I'm looking forward to it though. Have you started doing any Christmas shopping yet? I went to Hulen Mall yesterday and was disappointed. I guess I just expect a lot of christmas decorations in public places. They didn't even have a tree.

Anyone taking their little ones to see Santa? I was going to yesterday but decided to wait for my mom to go along. One picture is 10.99 then it goes up from there. To me that's too much. I'm going to try and take my own pictures. Hopefully this year he won't be scared of Santa.
Old 12-08-2004, 07:13 PM   #18
Grammy36
Parent on Board

I am pretty sure Emma will SCREAM if she sees Santa. Probably next year. I am almost finished shopping. The teens are the hardest. Hot Topic here I come. Very cute Stewie pajama pants. We will try to get together in January. I will be back in Ft. Worth on Monday though.
Old 12-10-2004, 10:50 PM   #19
t&j's mom
On the Board

Hey everyone! It's been a while since I've had time to come back and "hang out" with you guys. It looks like I'll be going to Plano on the 22nd or 23rd of January. No final word from my company yet, but I should know real soon. I look forward to meeting you all.

Can you believe I haven't bought even one Christmas gift yet? Ugh!!!
Old 12-11-2004, 07:44 PM   #20
Gabriel's Mom
Setting New Standards

I haven't either t&j's mom. I would of if I had money to though.

Oh and Shana I'd say Monday sounds good but Gabe is sick :-(. He's been throwing up today and I plan to keep him home for the next couple of days. Make sure he gets better and so I don't spread those fun holiday germs around. He's spit up but never really thrown up before, it's amazing how the thought of being thrown up on doesn't even cross your mind when you're the mom. Ohhh the greatest of a baby.

Luckily my sweet sick angel is sleeping.
Old 12-12-2004, 08:19 AM   #21
Grammy36
Parent on Board

Just let me know when is good for you. Having teens makes me alot more flexible. Tyler threw up on me in Grandy's when he was a baby. I felt bad for him, me, and all the people who where trying to eat. I'm looking forward to our Texas get together.
Old 12-13-2004, 01:16 AM   #22
t&j's mom
On the Board

Gabe's Mom - about the X-Mas gifts, that's exactly my reason too. No money. I keep using "I haven't had any time" as a reason, but it's really "I don't have a single penny." Ugh. The only thing I can afford are things from the 99 cent stores.

I'm so looking forward to meeting everyone for the get together.
Old 12-15-2004, 10:52 PM   #23
happysinglemother
I am New

happysinglemother is an unknown quantity at this point

Hey guys. I haven't been on here in a while but I am still wanting to get together too. Someone send me an PM with the date and time and I will try to get a sitter. My ex is starting to back out of some of his weekends with our son so who knows if I will be able to go out or not. But would like to. So keep me in mind.

Have a great holiday!!!!!

RJ
happysinglemother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2004, 11:36 PM   #24
Gabriel's Mom
Setting New Standards

We will definately keep you in mind RJ. I will pm you with the details once they get figured out.

Have a great holiday to you too!

Amy
Old 12-16-2004, 11:42 AM   #25
Gabriel's Mom
Setting New Standards

I too am a dollar store shopper. I just can't fork out money for something if it's not a good deal. Gotta make those pennies stretch.

Gabe is feeling better. He was only sick for a couple of days. I went to my sisters and stayed for a few days. It was a good visit, but I got home sick. I used to be able to pack up and stay where ever, but I really missed my bed. Plus it's easier here with everything already being baby proofed. However I did get to buy Gabe a couple of gifts. One of those stackers with the rings. Gotta develop those hand eye cordination skills.

Amy
Old 12-24-2004, 12:53 AM   #26
Gabriel's Mom
Setting New Standards

T&J's mom, have you found out what week in January yet? Just curious and excited.

Amy
Old 12-30-2004, 09:24 AM   #27
Meighan
On the Board

Meighan is an unknown quantity at this point

Hey people My daughter's father recently gave me a call and told me that he wanted to help me out with my situation. Needless to say, I'll be moving to Texas (Denton)here in a couple weeks.

It'll be hard to live there with no friends or family but he'll be able to help me out with our daughter and he's been alot more mature and nicer these days. This way I can finally put down some roots and get stable for once and for all. Anyways, I was reading this thread and y'all seem super nice.
Meighan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2004, 03:25 PM   #28
Grammy36
Parent on Board

Hi Meighan, I only live about 10 minutes from Denton. It is a nice town. Lake Dallas has better schools. It is a college town, so housing is affordable. Let me know if you have any questions. WELCOME TO TEXAS
Old 12-30-2004, 09:29 PM   #29
Meighan
On the Board

aww thank you so much grammy! it's awesome that somebody else is there. I'm going to be staying w/my daughter's daddy <eek!> and I want to get out of there ASAP. So after living in Florida and having to have a background check to work at subway (yup they really did do that and I failed it. they called every single employer I've ever had.) I'm terrified that this will happen to me when I go to texas.

thank you for being so nice!!!!!
Old 12-30-2004, 11:09 PM   #30
Grammy36
Parent on Board

I wouldn't worry about the background check unless you are working with children. Half of Texas is illegal aliens. Plus, I can't imagine anyone calling long distance. Is your ex manageable? Let me know when you get here.
Old 12-30-2004, 11:28 PM   #31
Grammy36
Parent on Board

I just read my last post and thought it sounded bigoted. I didn't mean anything bad, just that Texas is a border state and we have lots of Hispanic workers.
Old 12-31-2004, 11:32 AM   #32
Meighan
On the Board

It took me moving over 1,000 miles away for him to grow up. I still refuse to live with him for much longer than a few months and then never again after that. So yeah he's a decent guy. His family is just *awful* but he seems to have gotten better.

Miami isn't even really part of America anymore so I totally understand what you mean about hispanic workers. Here it's so bad that none of my neighbors speak english. YOU MUST speak spanish to work ANYWHERE here. I actually got super upset when I applied for a job as a cashier and the manager didn't speak english. She told me in spanish that she couldn't hire me because i didn't speak her language. At which point I screamed at her that she should be deported. heh. I'm Puerto Rican. AND I DO speak spanish. But not enough to comfortably use it.

I was hired for one job and then fired not even a few hours later after the guy refused to use the references I gave him and instead called every job I had listed on my resume. Subway did a background check and tried to call a job I had when I was 19 years old in Virginia to prove that I had experience as a cashier. They wouldn't hire me there because that job didn't remember who I was. I'm so scared it'll be that way in Texas.

Anyways yeah, I'm trying to find a way other than the bus to get my daughter there but it looks like that's the only option. So I should be there next monday. thanks for being so nice!
Old 12-31-2004, 01:00 PM   #33
Gabriel's Mom
Setting New Standards

Well Welcome to Texas! I don't think you'll have such trouble with getting a job. I never did. Good luck dealing with your ex. Very mature of you though, to deal with him for the benifit of your daughter. Who is by the way gorgeous. The picture on the left is just so pretty.
Old 12-31-2004, 02:38 PM   #34
Grammy36
Parent on Board

You should have no problems. They will be so glad you speak English that you will probably me manager in a day. I miss Florida sometimes. I lived there until I was ten. I miss real salt bagels, and black beans and yellow rice, and Cuban bread. Oh heck, I am never going to lose this weight. Also, my 14 yr old daughter babysits if you need a break. She has lots of references and knows child CPR. Dresses like a punk rocker, but the sweetest girl you will ever meet. Let me know when you get here. I have tons of connections. Word of mouth is better around here. Being in sales, I know alot of people. Peterbilt trucks is in Denton. It is a great place to work. They were one of my accounts for years. Super nice people. See you soon.
Old 12-31-2004, 04:39 PM   #35
TxCaramel
Board Member

TxCaramel is an unknown quantity at this point

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Meighan:
[QB] [QUOTE] Miami isn't even really part of America anymore so I totally understand what you mean about hispanic workers. Here it's so bad that none of my neighbors speak english. YOU MUST speak spanish to work ANYWHERE here. I actually got super upset when I applied for a job as a cashier and the manager didn't speak english. She told me in spanish that she couldn't hire me because i didn't speak her language. At which point I screamed at her that she should be deported. heh. I'm Puerto Rican. AND I DO speak spanish. But not enough to comfortably use it.

its kindof that way here in dallas, most jobs i applied to prefer bilingual employees, and since the only other language i know is German that doesnt help much here in texas,-it took me 5 months to find a decent job... but i think it all depends on what field you plan on going to.. if its fast food or something similar you wont have much of a problem finding a job. did you say you were moving to denton?that town consists of mostly spanish and white- ill be moving there next yr. ive checked out the stats of the area,and visited a couple of times,it doesnt seem to bad there. hopefully ill find a few blk folkz like myself around ..gluck
TxCaramel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2005, 01:39 AM   #36
Meighan
On the Board

man y'all are so so so so so so great. Miami is bad with respect to the fact that everybody here is family. Latins are notorious for having very very very very strong family bonds. They help each other out and *NO ONE ELSE*

I was talking to one chick on the train the other day. She had applied for a job as a receptionist for a law firm. Which is a *VERY* difficult job to get. She was 18 years old, no experience and just out of H.S. She got the job b/c her cousin worked there. That's how everybody here gets jobs. So I'm kinda screwed in that respect.

I pray to GOD that Tx. isn't like that or I swear I think I'll have a nervous breakdown. I used to walk around ALL OVER THE CITY every single day looking for work. Even when it rained, even when it was 100 degrees outside in 100% humidity. Anywhere else mcdonalds or something would've hired me. uh uh. not here. I have alot of skills w/respect to office work. but yeah. that just doesn't cut it.

thank ya'll SOOOOO much for being so nice. it's so refreshing after dealing with people here in Miami. I adore florida. but miami is ____ on earth. Those people in new york city..up north are NOTORIOUS for being mean. nope. I've been there quite a few times. Miami is 203840248023 times worse.

anyways yeah I'm done now y'all are so great!!! and yup I'm moving to Denton! so it's great that some of y'all are close. And I'm sure I will need a babysitter. If her daddy and I can't work things out with the schedule then I know inevitably we'll need a backup sometimes. you are so so so so nice! thank youuuuuuuuuu!
Old 01-09-2005, 10:46 AM   #37
PebblesMemory
I am New

PebblesMemory is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello everyone, I am in Lufkin which is about 5 hours from Dallas, I am told. I would love to meet up with you guys but January is not a good month. I am still rebounding from Christmas, funds are pulled beyond their means. But maybe on the next trip.
PebblesMemory is offline   Reply With Quote