Wild Dancing Thanksgivng Turkey homework Nazi aka 3rd grade teacher - Single Parents Forum: Single Family Voices
All forums, topics and discussions are geared to single parents and the issues faced with single parenting.
Support a single parent today and one will support you back!

Go Back   Single Parents Forum: Single Family Voices >
(``'·.¸(``'·.¸ Single Parenting - Through The Ages¸.·'´´)¸.·'´´)
> Babes, Children & Teens > Mid Childhood: 4 - 10

~ Donate Today ~ PLEASE

Old 09-27-2010, 05:32 PM   #1
4strong Female
Board Blazen Parent

4strong is an unknown quantity at this point
curse homework Nazi aka 3rd grade teacher

I am SO frustrated! S started 3rd grade this year and his teacher is crazy when it comes to homework! He has at least an hour of it a night (usually more) plus 30 min of reading, it just seems a little excessive to me. I haven't said anything, but last week S and I were up til 10:30 trying to finish a book report on Ramona Quimby, he hadn't even finished the book because she didn't give him enough time (reading isn't his strong point) so we had to try and find a summary of the book online, he kept crying and saying he will never be able to catch up. I felt SO bad for him Anyways, I went in this morning to talk to her and she told me that if we are having to stay up that late to finish his homework than I need to drop our other evening activities so he has more time for school work! All he does is soccer, and church. And he only 8, school is not going to be his life! Ugh!!!! I'm so frustrated!
4strong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 05:57 PM   #2
Kozzy
Active Board Parent

Kozzy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: homework Nazi aka 3rd grade teacher

An hour really isn't much. I have noticed though that the elementary grades seem to have much more homework than High Schoolers.
Kozzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 06:22 PM   #3
LSL Female
The blunt one;)

LSL Is a SFV Support LegendLSL Is a SFV Support LegendLSL Is a SFV Support LegendLSL Is a SFV Support LegendLSL Is a SFV Support LegendLSL Is a SFV Support LegendLSL Is a SFV Support LegendLSL Is a SFV Support LegendLSL Is a SFV Support LegendLSL Is a SFV Support LegendLSL Is a SFV Support Legend

A had about an hour a night starting in the third grade. Now in middle school she rarely has any!!!! In grade school I was able to negotiate with the teacher. I told her which nights were dance night and showed her how A would not have time to complete the homework. The teacher gave her an extra day. Also, that response is unreasonable. I would think about going over her head.
Old 09-27-2010, 07:13 PM   #4
Re-Mom Female
Mainiac

Re-Mom Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportRe-Mom Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportRe-Mom Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportRe-Mom Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportRe-Mom Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportRe-Mom Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportRe-Mom Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportRe-Mom Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportRe-Mom Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportRe-Mom Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportRe-Mom Has a SFV Diamond Heart of Support

Sounds like more than an hour if you're up until that late doing a book report... Honestly, I think it is unexcusable at that young age. they load these little ones up yet they have to be involved to get anywhere later in life... what do they want from them. Olivia in middle school doesn't have an hour. None have, until this year maia has the homework Natzi.... i've let it be known what I think. btw I'm on a school rampage this year. I tore the principal of the MS a new one over idiocy with laptop assignments and my daughter not getting one for 2 weeks after everybody else, no parameters given to parents nor kids... considering all kids bad, etc. etc.

i'm about to take down Maia's teacher.

Call me if you need a delivery....

|^^^^^^^^^^^^^^| ||
|.........WINE TRUCK.........| ||'|";, ___.
|_..._..._______===|=||_|__|..., ] -)
"(@)'(@)"" "''"**|(@)(@)*****''(@)
Re-Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 07:50 PM   #5
Bubba'sDad
Banned For Spam

Bubba'sDad Has Heart and Soul of an AngelBubba'sDad Has Heart and Soul of an AngelBubba'sDad Has Heart and Soul of an AngelBubba'sDad Has Heart and Soul of an AngelBubba'sDad Has Heart and Soul of an AngelBubba'sDad Has Heart and Soul of an AngelBubba'sDad Has Heart and Soul of an AngelBubba'sDad Has Heart and Soul of an AngelBubba'sDad Has Heart and Soul of an AngelBubba'sDad Has Heart and Soul of an AngelBubba'sDad Has Heart and Soul of an Angel

as someone who deals with quite a few recent high school graduates in the trades...i say they don't give them enough homework...these kids are dunderheads...can't think their way out of a paperbag...
Bubba'sDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 09:19 PM   #6
supermommy Female
Parent on Board

supermommy has much to be proud ofsupermommy has much to be proud of

It is unacceptable for the teacher to tell you that your child should drop out of their extracurricular activities!!!! That teacher should have been trying to find ways to work with you and your child, not dishing out unsolicited parenting advice...I would definitely be going to the principal.
supermommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 10:48 PM   #7
4strong Female
Board Blazen Parent

4strong is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by supermommy View Post
It is unacceptable for the teacher to tell you that your child should drop out of their extracurricular activities!!!! That teacher should have been trying to find ways to work with you and your child, not dishing out unsolicited parenting advice...I would definitely be going to the principal.
That's what I think! She didn't even try find a way to help him, she basically just put it all back on me for having him in other activities! I just don't think that at 8 yrs old his whole life should be school, sports keep him active and help his social skills which are really important at his age.

I tried really hard to be reasonable and to not attack her or critize her, but basically to just ask for help for him because he feels like he is behind. But she immediately got defensive, and started to attack me! I don't want to make things worse for Sam in class, but I can't just leave things where they are right now, ugh
4strong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 11:14 PM   #8
supermommy Female
Parent on Board

supermommy has much to be proud ofsupermommy has much to be proud of

You need to talk to the principal.

I had the same thing happen with my son's grade 2 teacher. I went to her to find out why for the first time since starting school my son was so disengaged, not wanting anything to do with the "reading race" etc. She immediately got defensive and then things were strained for the rest of the year. I actually asked her during the conversation, why are you getting so defensive with me? She couldn't answer. After that she consistently gave my son lower than normal marks. I would send assignments back questioning her reasoning behind the marks, referencing the marking rubric and she would just ignore my comments. I think she was intimidated by me because I was calling her out on things that she couldn't justify. It was awful and I was so glad when the year ended. Looking back I really wish I would've done something about it! In what I can only imagine was her last evil act, she seperated my son from all of his friends that he had been in the same class with since JK by placing him in another class. So essentially she has still managed to affect him negatively this year.

I found out later that her son was a year older than my son, and was a bully. In fact she has 3 kids, all known bullies in the school. Her son was bullying my son and clearly this resulted in my son feeling detached from his teacher and school in general that year. (I found out from a daycare teacher and my son confirmed)

Don't let things get out of hand with your son's teacher. Getting defensive and attacking your parenting is unacceptable. I don't know anyone who can intelligently argue the fact that organized sports/activities aren't healthy for kids!
supermommy is offline   Reply With Quote