Wild Dancing Thanksgivng Turkey 5 yr old's gunna be the death of me! - Single Parents Forum: Single Family Voices
All forums, topics and discussions are geared to single parents and the issues faced with single parenting.
Support a single parent today and one will support you back!

Go Back   Single Parents Forum: Single Family Voices >
(``'·.¸(``'·.¸ Single Parenting - Through The Ages¸.·'´´)¸.·'´´)
> Babes, Children & Teens > Mid Childhood: 4 - 10

~ Donate Today ~ PLEASE

Old 04-15-2011, 02:41 AM   #1
4strong Female
Board Blazen Parent

4strong is an unknown quantity at this point
cook 5 yr old's gunna be the death of me!

My 5 yr daughter has been my hardest child since she was in the womb! Lately I feel like I am losing my mind on a daily basis with this girl, she cries about EVERYTHING, and she has started to use manipulation with me. In the mornings I sometimes let her pick her own clothes, or if we are going somewhere, I will pick them for her. No matter wich way I go, she cries hysterically. If I find something for her, she cries because she wants to pick her own. If I let her pick, she will cry because she wants me to pick for her. She takes forever to get ready in the morning, but I refuse to give in to her fits. Now she has started crying at bedtime, and not just for a little while, we are talking TWO HOURS worth of crying hysterically. But she will stop crying long enough to tell me, that if I let her sleep with me, then she will stop. I don't think so! I have tried everything, hugs, praying with her, a story, restrictions (no tv or wii) nothing is working. She is keeping her brothers up, and I am quickly losing patience with my darling girl. My Dad just laughs and tells me "welcome to world of parenting a redheaded girl!" :P Any auggestions on how to handle her, before they send me to a nice padded room?!?
4strong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 03:11 AM   #2
LSL Female
The blunt one;)

LSL Is a SFV Support LegendLSL Is a SFV Support LegendLSL Is a SFV Support LegendLSL Is a SFV Support LegendLSL Is a SFV Support LegendLSL Is a SFV Support LegendLSL Is a SFV Support LegendLSL Is a SFV Support LegendLSL Is a SFV Support LegendLSL Is a SFV Support LegendLSL Is a SFV Support Legend
Default Re: 5 yr old's gunna be the death of me!

This is a phase. My daughter went through this at that age too. Especially about the bed. I would play evil. If she is going to cry at bedtime for 2 hours, then I would put her to be earlier and let the boys stay up and do fun things..... and make sure she knows it. That way, she is the one suffering, and the boys aren't losing sleep.
Old 04-15-2011, 07:39 AM   #3
Jamie's_Mum Female
English & proud

Jamie's_Mum has a reputation beyond reputeJamie's_Mum has a reputation beyond reputeJamie's_Mum has a reputation beyond reputeJamie's_Mum has a reputation beyond reputeJamie's_Mum has a reputation beyond reputeJamie's_Mum has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, most likely just a phase. Does she have a bedtime routine? Has that routine changed lately? Or perhaps she is just attention seeking, maybe sit her down, just you and her, and just ask her why she cries all the time, see what she says. And if that doesnt throw up any answers then maybe putting her to bed a bit earlier will help.
Old 04-15-2011, 09:18 AM   #4
lyndz7 Female
Setting New Standards

lyndz7 has a reputation beyond reputelyndz7 has a reputation beyond reputelyndz7 has a reputation beyond reputelyndz7 has a reputation beyond reputelyndz7 has a reputation beyond reputelyndz7 has a reputation beyond repute

Oh Gingers are fun!!! i have one of my own.....they are WAY more emotional and stubborn....I feel for you! Just kep your head up
Old 04-15-2011, 09:45 AM   #5
Katherine89 Female
Parent on Board

Katherine89 has a brilliant futureKatherine89 has a brilliant futureKatherine89 has a brilliant futureKatherine89 has a brilliant futureKatherine89 has a brilliant future

My son who is 4 right now does the same thing. Stand your ground!!! This is just a phase..and she will grow tired of it as long as you don't give in. Next time she starts crying like that...walk away..tell her "honey, when you want to talk to me like a big girl, I'm here until then I don't want to hear it". It worked for my son. Now everytime he starts crying I tell him to come talk to me when he wants to be a big boy and I walk away...and within 10 mins he's coming to find me and tell me he's sorry.

Goodluck!! You'll make it through
Katherine89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 01:23 PM   #6
4strong Female
Board Blazen Parent

I'm glad to hear my daughter's not the only one, I was seriously starting to wonder what was wrong with the girl! I have tried walking away and just letting her do it, telling her that when she is ready to behave I will talk to her, doesn't work with her. She is SO stubborn!

I have asked her why she is crying and she tells me, "because I want to." I think it may be to get attention, but I spend the most time with her out of all three because she is home with me all day while the boys and in school. She does have a bedtime routine, and I can't really think of any changes, we do it all together, maybe I will start reading to her seperately and getting her all settled before I start with the boys.

That's a really good idea LSL I will have to try that!

Lyndz how old is your daughter? Does it get any better?!? When I gave birth to her, my Dr saw her red hair and I told me I was in for a wild ride What is it about those dang redheaded girls? I'm a redhead and I don't think I was like that, although it seems my Dad remembers otherwise...
Old 04-15-2011, 01:47 PM   #7
Dad1st4boys Male
Failure is not an Option.

Dad1st4boys Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportDad1st4boys Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportDad1st4boys Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportDad1st4boys Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportDad1st4boys Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportDad1st4boys Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportDad1st4boys Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportDad1st4boys Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportDad1st4boys Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportDad1st4boys Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportDad1st4boys Has a SFV Diamond Heart of Support

Try picking out two outfits or sets of cloths and then she can pick from that. Also give her a time limit. If she does not pick then hand her cloths and put the rest up.
Dad1st4boys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 02:05 PM   #8
Blackwidow Female
Parent on Board

Blackwidow has a brilliant futureBlackwidow has a brilliant futureBlackwidow has a brilliant future

Again I say: Glad I don't have girls!! hahaha
Blackwidow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 02:20 PM   #9
Dad1st4boys Male
Failure is not an Option.

Dad1st4boys Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportDad1st4boys Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportDad1st4boys Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportDad1st4boys Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportDad1st4boys Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportDad1st4boys Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportDad1st4boys Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportDad1st4boys Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportDad1st4boys Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportDad1st4boys Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportDad1st4boys Has a SFV Diamond Heart of Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackwidow View Post
Again I say: Glad I don't have girls!! hahaha
Having all boys is great, but brings other headaches
Dad1st4boys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 04:21 PM   #10
luv4kids Female
Lively & Zealous Parent

luv4kids has a brilliant futureluv4kids has a brilliant futureluv4kids has a brilliant futureluv4kids has a brilliant futureluv4kids has a brilliant future

yes- we do the two sets of clothes for 3rd. it's mostly a phase of wanting to be more independent but being scared to do so. it's frustrating and frightening for them. My oldest was HORRENDOUS and i wanted to beat my head against a wall. She is still ornery as a teenager so it didn't go away for me sadly- but changed gears at least and is manageable. With 4 kids and the youngest a baby it is difficult for me to give my 3rd the attention she needs, but i do find it helps if i can. So the idea of a separate reading time is a really good one.

Lot of luck to you!!! keep us posted.
luv4kids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 11:05 AM   #11
X'sMom Female
On the Board

X'sMom is an unknown quantity at this point

My five yr old son has some serious sitting still issues and can't seem to stay in bed long enough to fall asleep. This is not what you are dealing with, mine is showing signs of ADHD. I break the parent suggested rules and lay with him at bedtime in his bed. I have to remind him, lay down, shhh it's time to sleep. He was keeping the other kids up and getting over tired. It isn't in my bed and does take some time away from cleaning up after dinner or relaxing after bedtime, but it works. If you are going to try this with ur five yr old do it before she cries and make it ur idea to curb manipulation she can't think crying works.
X'sMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 01:02 AM   #12
Memes_mommy Female
I am New

Memes_mommy is an unknown quantity at this point

I need advice on this very same topic, but my daughter is an only child. I am glad to know I am not alone...
Memes_mommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 01:26 AM   #13
4strong Female
Board Blazen Parent

I am happy to say, she did grow out of it...kind of. She doesn't cry at bedtime anymore - thank goodness, but we do still have issues with her clothes in the morning. I recently started dealing with her clothes the night before, now she has 10 min to pick her outfit (right before bed) or I pick it. So far it has seemed to work pretty well. Having a girl has certainly been an adventure, and she's not even a teenager yet! :-/