Wild Dancing Thanksgivng Turkey my goal: to become a nurse... - Single Parents Forum: Single Family Voices
All forums, topics and discussions are geared to single parents and the issues faced with single parenting.
Support a single parent today and one will support you back!

Go Back   Single Parents Forum: Single Family Voices >
(``'·.¸(``'·.¸ Tips, Tricks & Ideas ¸.·'´´)¸.·'´´)
> School & Work Life > Campus Single Parents

Notices

~ Donate Today ~ PLEASE

Old 04-19-2003, 11:22 PM   #1
Visitor

ill be attending school in Jersey, south.just started researching schools. i was just curious on any advice or suggestions.....but also....
i have been seperated from my husband since jan 02. but it hasnt been filed yet.....costs money we dont have yet. I was just curious if anyone knows if id be qualified for for any of the assistances etc that you all have suggested.or should i wait till the paper work has been filed?? and he is not the father of my child, that guy is looooooooong gone. no idea where!! so any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Old 04-20-2003, 06:27 PM   #2
Robin Female
Lively & Zealous Parent

Robin has a spectacular aura about

All you need to do is a state that you are seperated on the papers.

Make sure that he does not use you on his tax forms.

Hope that helps

Happy Easter
Robin
Robin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2003, 11:14 AM   #3
Visitor

Oh really???

ok thanks!!!

thats a load off my mind!
Old 04-23-2003, 03:41 PM   #4
Organic Mama
On the Board

Organic Mama is an unknown quantity at this point

Good luck!!!

I am a studying to be nurse, and am pregnant. It is VERY difficult. But you can get through it!
Organic Mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2003, 06:37 PM   #5
Visitor

where do you go to school at? what year are you in?? im so excited and havent really started anything yet, only researching schools.

Lesley
Old 04-25-2003, 12:08 AM   #6
ashnessmonster
I am New

ashnessmonster is an unknown quantity at this point

im also in nursing school, just finishing up my first semester...id recommend entering an associates RN program...most facilities dont differentiate pay and you can start working more quickly, you also get the benefit of more hands on clinical hours...i already know that im going into l&d...my longtime dream is to become a midwife eventually...oh, they have bridge programs from associates to masters(at least one in dfw, texas) so the education opportunities are great for single mamas and daddys...GOOD LUCK! write anytime...ashnessmonster@yahoo.com
ashnessmonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2003, 12:36 AM   #7
Visitor

hey, ashness,
ill probably drop you an email laer. thats what im going onto ___. RN. my dream is to evewntually become a pediatric nurse practioner.im so excited. im probably going to end up attending one of the county colleges around here in NJ. 5 semesters including a summer one. But im still researching, hopefully i can do some of the pre requisite classes online.
good luck and congrats on the first semester.
ill drop you a line!
Lesley
Old 04-27-2003, 02:02 AM   #8
motherofmonsters
I am New

motherofmonsters is an unknown quantity at this point

hey all you nurses out there i was researching financing for my schooling for teaching and found a whole bunch of stuff to help people in nursing and health care careers. I can't remember the book but i bet u can find them on line some where. If anyone knows anything to help teachers let me know. thanks.
motherofmonsters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2003, 02:14 PM   #9
Organic Mama
On the Board

Organic Mama is an unknown quantity at this point

hi!

I am in the associates program for RN. I have already finished my frist 2 years. Which consisted of doing the pre requisites... EX: Anatomy and physiology I and II, Chem, Microbiology, etc...
This August or January, probably January since i give birth this july and if they allow me to. I will be begin the actual program which is the nursing classes and clinicals. When i start that it will be 18 months, straight through till finish. No time off. Which stinks, and I have to do the classes they tell you to at the time they tell you. It sorta stinks. I mean you cant take just one class and get it done slowly. YOu have to do a certain amount each semester. Oh well! I also had to wait on a waiting list to be accepted into certain semesters. Meaning, i just got accepted to start this may, which i had to defer (you can only defer once) so that I would start this august. But since the baby is being born in july it might be hard, soo i am going to ask for them to defer it again till january. I hope they let me!
I go to BCC.. Broward Community College in South Florida. Its the best program. I looked into going to Floriday Atlantic University (for a BA) but their turn out rate of passing the boards where not even close to the community school!
Best thing to do is look into the community schools and get your AAS (Associates in Applied Science). Then if you want, you can start working and also work on your BA slowly. That would be the easiest way rather then going straight to BA. From BA you can get your masters or you even after just your AAS, you can get certificates to specify what you really wanna do in the medical feild. There is lots to choose from.
I highly recommend this for any single parents (becoming a health care worker) it makes you independent and you wont ever have to worry about money that much because its a good pay and you always get a job. You just have to get through it! Its tough! And when you think you cant do it! YOU CAN.
I do Horrible in school.. but i stick to it and am still passing! (of course some classes i had to take more then once! But you gotta do what you gotta do!)
it will be good when its over because I will never have to ask for child support from the _______ that probably wont pay anyways! And I can move anywhere i want!

SOOOOO.. .GOOD LUCK! Where do you live?? I might be able to help you with schools in your area. i know a lot of places across the US.

YOU ALL CAN DO IT! AND CONGRATS TO THE PEOPLE HOW HAVE ALREADY FINISHED!
Organic Mama is offline   Reply With Quote