Wild Dancing Thanksgivng Turkey I need router advise - Single Parents Forum: Single Family Voices
All forums, topics and discussions are geared to single parents and the issues faced with single parenting.
Support a single parent today and one will support you back!

Go Back   Single Parents Forum: Single Family Voices >
(``'·.¸(``'·.¸ Tips, Tricks & Ideas ¸.·'´´)¸.·'´´)
> Home, Garden & Living > The Internet

~ Donate Today ~ PLEASE

Old 06-21-2009, 11:21 AM   #1
idig Female
SFV JUNKIE!!!

idig Is a SFV Support Legendidig Is a SFV Support Legendidig Is a SFV Support Legendidig Is a SFV Support Legendidig Is a SFV Support Legendidig Is a SFV Support Legendidig Is a SFV Support Legendidig Is a SFV Support Legendidig Is a SFV Support Legendidig Is a SFV Support Legendidig Is a SFV Support Legend
Default I need router advise

Ok, My 4 year old router is apparently having issues and I need to replace it. Sounds simple, right? Um, no. There are very few that say Broadband, most say DSL (I have broadband). There are things called gateways, I have no idea what those are. There are G routers and N routers and router/modem combos, plus GB levels and on and on. Does anybody know what thell all of this stuff means? Or more specifically, what I need for my home with my one laptop, one desktop, and my son'd xbox live?

I have a modem I "rent" from the cable company, so may as well replace it if it makes sense to.

Help?
Old 06-21-2009, 11:31 AM   #2
Bubba'sDad
Banned For Spam

Bubba'sDad Has Heart and Soul of an AngelBubba'sDad Has Heart and Soul of an AngelBubba'sDad Has Heart and Soul of an AngelBubba'sDad Has Heart and Soul of an AngelBubba'sDad Has Heart and Soul of an AngelBubba'sDad Has Heart and Soul of an AngelBubba'sDad Has Heart and Soul of an AngelBubba'sDad Has Heart and Soul of an AngelBubba'sDad Has Heart and Soul of an AngelBubba'sDad Has Heart and Soul of an AngelBubba'sDad Has Heart and Soul of an Angel
Default Re: I need router advise

check with your provider...Verizon has a wireless modem/router that we use in the shop...we then feed the house from the shop and run through a Netgear wireless router at the house....

i'll get you the info when i get a sec...
Bubba'sDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2009, 12:23 PM   #3
LSL Female
The blunt one;)

LSL Is a SFV Support LegendLSL Is a SFV Support LegendLSL Is a SFV Support LegendLSL Is a SFV Support LegendLSL Is a SFV Support LegendLSL Is a SFV Support LegendLSL Is a SFV Support LegendLSL Is a SFV Support LegendLSL Is a SFV Support LegendLSL Is a SFV Support LegendLSL Is a SFV Support Legend

The "N" and and the "G" refer to things like how far away you have to be from the router to get a strong signal. Since I live in an apartment, and I didn't want everyone and their dog to pick up my signal [even though I have it password protected and so on], I purposely chose a lower rated router. Works just fine for me.

I picked up a router from Walmart. It's a Belkin and I have had it now for about a year. Works great. Mine is wireless, but has 4 wired in ethernet ports in the back that you could add in for your desktop and XBox if you needed.

Since you are in a house, you probably want one with at least a 900 ft radius. Which means a letter other than G.
Old 06-21-2009, 01:39 PM   #4
MotherBoard Female
Making The Magic Happen
Mother Of The Board

MotherBoard Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportMotherBoard Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportMotherBoard Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportMotherBoard Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportMotherBoard Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportMotherBoard Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportMotherBoard Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportMotherBoard Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportMotherBoard Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportMotherBoard Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportMotherBoard Has a SFV Diamond Heart of Support

I have 2wire - i loveit! it is a router and modem in one.
I can have my childrens 2 PC's and xbox and laptops, and gameboy, ... well just all and anyone that stops over that need internet.

here is some info.
http://www.2wire.com/index.php?p=408#hyperg

it has parental control software with in the hardware, that mean you log into your box [modem,router and you have friendly controls. Just click on or off to many options. You can set timers too.
For example, I have my 13 years old set at no access at 10pm. and I get a log of where they been, it has a firewall that you can control too, all in one place for all wireless connection. So like, xbox, can log through but if its a payment site my 16 year old get a pop up message that reminds him to see me before spending any money.

N will give you a signal throughout the home.
G is for some rooms that are close together.
brordband and dsl are the same mainly, what your main concern if buying away from your provided would be the cable connection.

BD is right, check to see what you provider has. They could give it to you for free or for a staying as a customer for a longer period of time.

What you may ask for is a "wireless home network" hardware system or 'homeportal system'
The 'gateway' is a fancy word for connection to the internet [where the connect point is]

hope that helps
https://www.facebook.com/soloParent
MotherBoard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2009, 03:21 PM   #5
idig Female
SFV JUNKIE!!!

idig Is a SFV Support Legendidig Is a SFV Support Legendidig Is a SFV Support Legendidig Is a SFV Support Legendidig Is a SFV Support Legendidig Is a SFV Support Legendidig Is a SFV Support Legendidig Is a SFV Support Legendidig Is a SFV Support Legendidig Is a SFV Support Legendidig Is a SFV Support Legend

Thanks. I checked with my provider, Charter. They charge $10 a month for what they call their "home networking service" For that I get a router, one of these two http://www.charter.com/Customers/Sup...spx?MenuItem=3 I have the Ambit U10C018 modem, I have no idea if it is a good one or not. It belongs to Charter, but must be included in my internet charge, no equipment charge appears on my bill.

So do I just get an N router? I don't see paying $10 a month when I can get an N router for $50 or so.

Thanks for your help!

---------- Post added at 01:21 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:48 PM ----------

Mom, if I get a 2wire, which one??? http://www.google.com/products?q=2wire+router&hl=en
Old 06-21-2009, 03:35 PM   #6
MotherBoard Female
Making The Magic Happen
Mother Of The Board

MotherBoard Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportMotherBoard Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportMotherBoard Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportMotherBoard Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportMotherBoard Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportMotherBoard Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportMotherBoard Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportMotherBoard Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportMotherBoard Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportMotherBoard Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportMotherBoard Has a SFV Diamond Heart of Support

did you see this page?
I dont think they will change you anymore than you are already paying.
http://www.charter.com/visitors/Prod...px?MenuItem=31

I would give them a call, and tell them that you saw a great offer at.... ???somewhere???.... and you where seeing if they had an offer that includes this equipment like they do since you have been a loyal customer, and before you switched .... . or maybe cut a deal or something. What they list on that page is what you really need and all in one. everything else is falling the way of the dinosaur.

You may want to go with an N
with 2wire, Not sure, but see if it lists cable connection????
https://www.facebook.com/soloParent
MotherBoard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 11:46 PM   #7
idig Female
SFV JUNKIE!!!

I just saw this reply Mom. I wound up buying a router when M got a laptop for Christmas. I got an N two channel or something like that. Anybody heard of Uverse through AT&T?

They are literally going door to door trying to sell it here. My dad had it, but hard to gauge how well the internet works with is dinosaur desktop.
Old 04-01-2010, 11:48 PM   #8
sara1 Female
Setting New Standards

sara1 Has Heart and Soul of an Angelsara1 Has Heart and Soul of an Angelsara1 Has Heart and Soul of an Angelsara1 Has Heart and Soul of an Angelsara1 Has Heart and Soul of an Angelsara1 Has Heart and Soul of an Angelsara1 Has Heart and Soul of an Angelsara1 Has Heart and Soul of an Angelsara1 Has Heart and Soul of an Angelsara1 Has Heart and Soul of an Angelsara1 Has Heart and Soul of an Angel

chinese...
Old 04-01-2010, 11:50 PM   #9
LSL Female
The blunt one;)

LSL Is a SFV Support LegendLSL Is a SFV Support LegendLSL Is a SFV Support LegendLSL Is a SFV Support LegendLSL Is a SFV Support LegendLSL Is a SFV Support LegendLSL Is a SFV Support LegendLSL Is a SFV Support LegendLSL Is a SFV Support LegendLSL Is a SFV Support LegendLSL Is a SFV Support Legend

I looked it up.....sounds like what we had through Qwest, our telephone provider out here. I didn't like the internet bit of it....was a bit unstable and the software sucked for Qwest.....however, AT & T has offered intenet service for years......betting their software would be better.
Old 04-01-2010, 11:52 PM   #10
idig Female
SFV JUNKIE!!!

I think my BFF who bought a house a block from me (and we never see each other between work and kid activities ) is going to try Uverse. I think I'll let her be the guinea pig. It is cheaper, with the rate held steady for 2 years and has better cable, included dvr's, etc. It is just the internet I am uncertain about.
Old 04-01-2010, 11:56 PM   #11
LSL Female
The blunt one;)

Ya, I understand. We have a new wireless provider called Clear here......www.clear.com. I have waited to see what people say about it because it is such new technology....however, it ROCKS. We have a tower about 200 yards from our house and it bundles phone and internet service, and saves me a TON of money a month. Pretty cool. Anyway, keep your eye out for it, because it is expanding into a ton of new markets.
Old 04-01-2010, 11:58 PM   #12
Bluemoon Female
just an old hippie chick

Bluemoon Is a SFV Support LegendBluemoon Is a SFV Support LegendBluemoon Is a SFV Support LegendBluemoon Is a SFV Support LegendBluemoon Is a SFV Support LegendBluemoon Is a SFV Support LegendBluemoon Is a SFV Support LegendBluemoon Is a SFV Support LegendBluemoon Is a SFV Support LegendBluemoon Is a SFV Support LegendBluemoon Is a SFV Support Legend

I don't know if this will be any help at all, but I have DSL through our phone service "Century Link". It's pretty darn good, I think. Not as fast as cable (like through the TV service) but it's quite serviceable. (I have their fastest package)
Bluemoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 12:06 AM   #13
idig Female
SFV JUNKIE!!!

THinks LSL and Blue.

I need to talk with the uverse people too. I think they run through a cable line, but I am not sure. THe week they were door knocking was the week I had the virus/reaction/rash/whatever the ____ it was, form ____ and I never talked to them. My friend hates Charter, they have had a lot of trouble with them so she is switching for sure. I'll probably wait for her to report before I switch. I will look out for clear.com too...
Old 04-02-2010, 12:33 AM   #14
binarian
Setting New Standards

binarian is just really nice

Uverse sounds like AT&Ts version of Fios (which is Verizon High Speed digital via fiberoptic cable). You might have to have a crew run fiber from the street to your house. My cousin, the network engineer, had to have that done. Blazing fast speed.

Quote:
N will give you a signal throughout the home.
G is for some rooms that are close together.
I heard that too. The actual difference as engineered is a big increase in the data rate, or throughput, from router to client machine.
binarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 12:37 AM   #15
idig Female
SFV JUNKIE!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by binarian View Post
Uverse sounds like AT&Ts version of Fios (which is Verizon High Speed digital via fiberoptic cable). You might have to have a crew run fiber from the street to your house. My cousin, the network engineer, had to have that done. Blazing fast speed.
it does say something onthe site about running new wire, that is why I thought it might be cable. Sounding better all the time. It will decrease my bill by 33% and if it is faster and the rate is locked, just might be the thing to do!

Anybody need a linksys two (or maybe it is dual) something or other N plus router for broadband?