Wild Dancing Thanksgivng Turkey Noise Making - Single Parents Forum: Single Family Voices
All forums, topics and discussions are geared to single parents and the issues faced with single parenting.
Support a single parent today and one will support you back!

Go Back   Single Parents Forum: Single Family Voices >
(``'·.¸(``'·.¸ Single Parenting - Through The Ages¸.·'´´)¸.·'´´)
> Discipline

~ Donate Today ~ PLEASE

Old 05-24-2011, 12:57 PM   #1
quebecmom Female
Getting My Feet (Board) Wet

quebecmom is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Noise Making

I have two boys, 3 and 5. They get along well most of the time and are generally well behaved. However, they cannot seem to stay quiet...ever. There is constant noisemaking, singing, screaming, sound effects...etc. It's often a problem. I've tried everything to keep this noise making under control but nothing seems to work. Does anyone else have this problem. It gets embarassing with the windows open in summer!!!
quebecmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 01:06 PM   #2
muskiedad Male
the one who babbles

muskiedad Is a SFV Support Legendmuskiedad Is a SFV Support Legendmuskiedad Is a SFV Support Legendmuskiedad Is a SFV Support Legendmuskiedad Is a SFV Support Legendmuskiedad Is a SFV Support Legendmuskiedad Is a SFV Support Legendmuskiedad Is a SFV Support Legendmuskiedad Is a SFV Support Legendmuskiedad Is a SFV Support Legendmuskiedad Is a SFV Support Legend
Default Re: Noise Making

With 3 of them here, it's seldom quiet for long. One thing I try to keep in mind when judging "noise levels" is, is it "good" noise? For example, my youngest loves the swings and goes outside to swing and sing. He sings his heart out, sometimes very loud, but he's not hurting anyone, not being rude or anything. Living rurally he doesn't disturb anyone either. If they are playing a computer game and it gets loud.....that's different as we have "inside voices". If they don't heed a warning or two......they lose a turn.
Sometimes it's as simple as separating them until the behaviour improves.
muskiedad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 01:25 PM   #3
quebecmom Female

I try separating them too. It's just very strange to me that they constantly make sound effects (even to themselves) when other kids can play quietly. I guess this will change once they have to sit in school.
Old 05-24-2011, 02:32 PM   #4
muskiedad Male
the one who babbles

muskiedad Is a SFV Support Legendmuskiedad Is a SFV Support Legendmuskiedad Is a SFV Support Legendmuskiedad Is a SFV Support Legendmuskiedad Is a SFV Support Legendmuskiedad Is a SFV Support Legendmuskiedad Is a SFV Support Legendmuskiedad Is a SFV Support Legendmuskiedad Is a SFV Support Legendmuskiedad Is a SFV Support Legendmuskiedad Is a SFV Support Legend

I must say when mine are quiet that is when I worry the most!!
Old 05-24-2011, 06:16 PM   #5
Jamie's_Mum Female
English & proud

Jamie's_Mum has a reputation beyond reputeJamie's_Mum has a reputation beyond reputeJamie's_Mum has a reputation beyond reputeJamie's_Mum has a reputation beyond reputeJamie's_Mum has a reputation beyond reputeJamie's_Mum has a reputation beyond repute

Wish i had some advice for you. I only have one kid and he makes so much racket it drives me crazy, the only peace i get is once he goes to bed. I cant cope with noise
Old 05-24-2011, 08:05 PM   #6
quebecmom Female

Only bedtime ends the racket for me too! . I've even tried earplugs if we're all in the same room and it's still loud until they go to sleep.
Old 05-24-2011, 11:16 PM   #7
Re-Mom Female
Mainiac

Re-Mom Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportRe-Mom Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportRe-Mom Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportRe-Mom Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportRe-Mom Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportRe-Mom Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportRe-Mom Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportRe-Mom Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportRe-Mom Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportRe-Mom Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportRe-Mom Has a SFV Diamond Heart of Support

I'm with Muskie on all accounts here... mine are seriously crazy loud. I try as best as possible to decipher happy noise from angry noise, not easy especially with all of the pretend play they've done over the years! Sometimes, at certain hours I insist on them calling it quits, unfortunately, my 2 almost 11 yr olds can't seem to get how to lower noise level no matter what the consequence....

Silence.... to me the most terrifying sound of all next to a large bang and then silence. If I hear screaming after a bang, I at least know there is no reason for the ER nor ambulance!

Call me if you need a delivery....

|^^^^^^^^^^^^^^| ||
|.........WINE TRUCK.........| ||'|";, ___.
|_..._..._______===|=||_|__|..., ] -)
"(@)'(@)"" "''"**|(@)(@)*****''(@)
Re-Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 12:14 AM   #8
Mama Swan Female
Tree hugger at heart

Mama Swan Has Heart and Soul of an AngelMama Swan Has Heart and Soul of an AngelMama Swan Has Heart and Soul of an AngelMama Swan Has Heart and Soul of an AngelMama Swan Has Heart and Soul of an AngelMama Swan Has Heart and Soul of an AngelMama Swan Has Heart and Soul of an AngelMama Swan Has Heart and Soul of an AngelMama Swan Has Heart and Soul of an AngelMama Swan Has Heart and Soul of an AngelMama Swan Has Heart and Soul of an Angel

I'm not sure what's normal anymore, all I know is that my daughter has been LOUD for 8 years and counting! She went through a phase when anything she said she sang, which was amusing, but in general is always talking or shouting or singing or making rude noises. Most of the time it's fine, but there are circumstances where it's embarassing, in which case she's at the age where I can talk to her ahead of time about the need to be quiet, but of course your kids are younger so it's harder. And there's other times when quiet would just be nice...
Mama Swan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 12:19 AM   #9
Re-Mom Female
Mainiac

Re-Mom Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportRe-Mom Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportRe-Mom Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportRe-Mom Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportRe-Mom Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportRe-Mom Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportRe-Mom Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportRe-Mom Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportRe-Mom Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportRe-Mom Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportRe-Mom Has a SFV Diamond Heart of Support

I should clarify that my oldest has generally not been loud, quite quiet actually. As of late, since she turned 12 well.... that loud preteen thing is what I believe is happening to her ICK I keep telling her she's acting as obnoxious as her sisters (trying to get to her levelLOL) It hasn't helped...

Noise level here, off the charts. I actually call my garage my office. When I have work calls to make or answer I always head for the garage if the girls are here... I've even been known to get into my car inside of the garage to be sure a client doesn't hear them in the background!

Call me if you need a delivery....

|^^^^^^^^^^^^^^| ||
|.........WINE TRUCK.........| ||'|";, ___.
|_..._..._______===|=||_|__|..., ] -)
"(@)'(@)"" "''"**|(@)(@)*****''(@)
Re-Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 06:49 AM   #10
Jamie's_Mum Female
English & proud

Jamie's_Mum has a reputation beyond reputeJamie's_Mum has a reputation beyond reputeJamie's_Mum has a reputation beyond reputeJamie's_Mum has a reputation beyond reputeJamie's_Mum has a reputation beyond reputeJamie's_Mum has a reputation beyond repute

You know, i can deal with him making noise when he's playing, its just his whinging i cant deal with, because its constant.
Old 05-25-2011, 08:14 AM   #11
muskiedad Male
the one who babbles

When the kids are loud I can sometimes not even hear it. But my ears perk right up with bickering and such......that seems louder than playing noise, and is quickly stopped. Playing noise is a "good" noise.....fighting noise is bad and the decibel level tolerances are much much lower.
Old 05-25-2011, 10:39 AM   #12
quebecmom Female

Oh my. And here I NAIVELY thought it all quiets down once they are in school, in other words once they are no longer pre-schoolers. It's refreshing to hear from those with kids who are older than mine!!!
Old 05-25-2011, 10:58 AM   #13
Dad1st4boys Male
Failure is not an Option.

Dad1st4boys Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportDad1st4boys Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportDad1st4boys Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportDad1st4boys Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportDad1st4boys Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportDad1st4boys Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportDad1st4boys Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportDad1st4boys Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportDad1st4boys Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportDad1st4boys Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportDad1st4boys Has a SFV Diamond Heart of Support

Quiet....what's that?
Oh, That's when I am at work, sitting on Highway running radar at 1AM.

With 4 is is never truly quiet here, we live on a farm a mile out of town. So outdoor noise is very loud. But I started the boy very young with using their indoor voices. I can see or hear a difference even today. BUT, there are silly moments where.... As for arguing I have a rule each gets to be listened to and not interrupted (does not always work the way I'd like... ).
One trick I have is to turn the TV volume way down low. Then they have to be quiet to hear it I noticed that when the music or TV volume was up the boys volume goes up too.

---------- Post added at 08:58 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:56 AM ----------

Now we have boys working on truck engines and lawn mower engines and gokart engines......

Oh, and the noise when we step out back to our rifle range. ear and eye protection required.
Dad1st4boys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 01:17 PM   #14
momofgirls2 Female
Parent on Board

momofgirls2 has a spectacular aura about

I am with everyone else. I have two girls 7 and 4 and my house is never quiet. Inside voices consist of anything over a 3 in my irratation scale. Basically as long as they are not screetching im fine. I've kind of gotten to the point where I just tune it out unless they are trying to kill each other, which happens often with two girls. LOL

If they are quiet then I know they are doing something they shouldn't be.
momofgirls2 is offline   Reply With Quote