Wild Dancing Thanksgivng Turkey Spanking Causes Mental Illness? - Single Parents Forum: Single Family Voices
All forums, topics and discussions are geared to single parents and the issues faced with single parenting.
Support a single parent today and one will support you back!

Go Back   Single Parents Forum: Single Family Voices >
(``'·.¸(``'·.¸ Single Parenting - Through The Ages¸.·'´´)¸.·'´´)
> Discipline

~ Donate Today ~ PLEASE

Old 07-06-2012, 04:31 AM   #1
MotherBoard Female
Making The Magic Happen
Mother Of The Board

MotherBoard Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportMotherBoard Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportMotherBoard Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportMotherBoard Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportMotherBoard Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportMotherBoard Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportMotherBoard Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportMotherBoard Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportMotherBoard Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportMotherBoard Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportMotherBoard Has a SFV Diamond Heart of Support
star Spanking Causes Mental Illness?

Study Says Spanking Causes Mental Illness – Do You Agree?
Posted on July 05, 2012 - 11:00:00 by Melissa Hurst

Do you spank your kids? Were you spanked as a child?

A new study by the American Academy of Pediatrics was released this week that may have you rethink this practice. The study states that children, who have experienced physical punishment, such as spanking, hitting, or pushing, are at increased risk to develop mental disorders later in life.

The study included data from 35,000 non-institutionalized adults in the U.S. collected between 2004-2005. Researchers found that approximately 2%- 7% of mental disorders were linked to physical punishment. The mental illness discussed in the study ranged from mood and anxiety disorders, to drug and alcohol abuse or personality disorders.

I think we all agree that physical and sexual abuse is devastating to a child, but the idea of spanking as a disciplinary measure has remained controversial through the years, at least in the U.S. and Canada, where it is still legal. More than 30 nations do not agree with this practice and have abolished a parents’ right to use physical punishment on their children. This is one of the first studies that shows a link between this type of punishment and future mental illness.

Of course, the study doesn’t prove this and a link or correlation doesn’t show causation, but I do agree with these findings. As a mother to a boy who already has learning difficulties, heightened anxiety, and other developmental delays, I know that if he was ever spanked, it would only make matters worse. His tantrums or lack of communication can be challenging, but finding other ways to encourage good behavior is the only way to get through to him. He may not be motivated by disappointing his parents, like his older brother, but we have found that “time out” and taking away favorite toys work as effective parenting methods.

Read More :
http://www.lifetimemoms.com/family-p...3-do-you-agree

What do you think? Is spanking really that bad or could it just be an effective parenting tool?
MotherBoard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 12:39 PM   #2
amber88 Female
Getting My Feet (Board) Wet

amber88 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Spanking Causes Mental Illness

I personally believe there is a big difference in spanking a child and physically abusing a child. I was spanked when I did wrong, but I was never abused. Even in most of the schools I have went to when you got in trouble you were paddled for acting out. Some of the older kids used to get into trouble just to get lit up outside the classroom just to prove their strength. Kids talked about which teachers paddled the hardest. Of course if you disagreed with this policy your parents could send a note to school stating you were not to be paddled. I never got a note sent in, I was expected to behave and not do anything deserving punishment. It was a great motivational tool, as I didn't like the sounds of being paddled by an adult I didn't like in the first place. I agree that for certain children who have extenuating circumstances it may not be the best idea. As for causing mental illness, I highly doubt it, the 2 - 7 % may have been mentally ill from the get go. JMHO.
amber88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 01:59 PM   #3
Woodsimply Female
Thinks too much

Woodsimply Has Heart and Soul of an AngelWoodsimply Has Heart and Soul of an AngelWoodsimply Has Heart and Soul of an AngelWoodsimply Has Heart and Soul of an AngelWoodsimply Has Heart and Soul of an AngelWoodsimply Has Heart and Soul of an AngelWoodsimply Has Heart and Soul of an AngelWoodsimply Has Heart and Soul of an AngelWoodsimply Has Heart and Soul of an AngelWoodsimply Has Heart and Soul of an AngelWoodsimply Has Heart and Soul of an Angel

My oldest thinks they should bring spanking back to schools.
His elementary still paddled when the old principal was there, and he got the paddle once.
I was spanked as a kid...cant say I am any worse off for it. Probably better off actually, because I didnt get away with whatever I was trying to do.

You cannot get an answer, if you do not ask the question. Say what you need to say.
~Just me
Woodsimply is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 02:20 PM   #4
Re-Mom Female
Mainiac

Re-Mom Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportRe-Mom Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportRe-Mom Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportRe-Mom Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportRe-Mom Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportRe-Mom Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportRe-Mom Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportRe-Mom Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportRe-Mom Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportRe-Mom Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportRe-Mom Has a SFV Diamond Heart of Support

Now I know why I am just about perfectly sane!LMAO My parents didn't really spank... other than toddler taps on the hand for safety issues. It makes sense, my sanity vs everybody else's insanity

Call me if you need a delivery....

|^^^^^^^^^^^^^^| ||
|.........WINE TRUCK.........| ||'|";, ___.
|_..._..._______===|=||_|__|..., ] -)
"(@)'(@)"" "''"**|(@)(@)*****''(@)
Re-Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 02:22 PM   #5
Woodsimply Female
Thinks too much

Woodsimply Has Heart and Soul of an AngelWoodsimply Has Heart and Soul of an AngelWoodsimply Has Heart and Soul of an AngelWoodsimply Has Heart and Soul of an AngelWoodsimply Has Heart and Soul of an AngelWoodsimply Has Heart and Soul of an AngelWoodsimply Has Heart and Soul of an AngelWoodsimply Has Heart and Soul of an AngelWoodsimply Has Heart and Soul of an AngelWoodsimply Has Heart and Soul of an AngelWoodsimply Has Heart and Soul of an Angel

Whatever you need to tell yourself so you can sleep at night, RM....

You cannot get an answer, if you do not ask the question. Say what you need to say.
~Just me
Woodsimply is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 03:34 PM   #6
amber88 Female
Getting My Feet (Board) Wet

amber88 is an unknown quantity at this point

A bunch of the schools around my area still do paddle. The last school I went to the kids that had woodshop actually made new paddles for a bunch of the teachers, they decorated them and gave the paddles names. . At about middle school the kids start taking it differently, it's a macho thing for the boys to get paddled, the teacher walks them into the hallway while the rest of the kids sit in the class room and listen out for the loud WHACK. The boys usually come into class smiling with sore butts. .
amber88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 07:01 PM   #7
patriciajames Female
Learning to Surf The Board

patriciajames will become famous soon enough

I remember hearing about this study, either on npr or google news. I don't spank my kids, but that may change one day I guess if they pushed me too far. My dad spanked us very infrequently when we were kids, but I never felt abused or mentally impaired from it. But I did find that study interesting and need to give some consideration to the whole subject. Luckily time-outs work well right now!
patriciajames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 10:07 AM   #8
MotherBoard Female
Making The Magic Happen
Mother Of The Board

MotherBoard Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportMotherBoard Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportMotherBoard Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportMotherBoard Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportMotherBoard Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportMotherBoard Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportMotherBoard Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportMotherBoard Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportMotherBoard Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportMotherBoard Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportMotherBoard Has a SFV Diamond Heart of Support
Default Re: Spanking Causes Mental Illness?

After hearing the news about the Judges lifted suspension, I think really the question isn't so much do you agree or not, but the definition and boundary of spanking and abuse.

To me the video show abuse not a spanking.

Story here:
http://abcnews.go.com/US/judge-beat-...ry?id=14873563

I started a new thread for this.
here:
http://singlefamilyvoices.com/forum/...ad.php?t=23295
https://www.facebook.com/soloParent
Old 11-08-2012, 02:15 PM   #9
MotherBoard Female
Making The Magic Happen
Mother Of The Board

Quote:
Originally Posted by amber88 View Post
A bunch of the schools around my area still do paddle. The last school I went to the kids that had woodshop actually made new paddles for a bunch of the teachers, they decorated them and gave the paddles names. . At about middle school the kids start taking it differently, it's a macho thing for the boys to get paddled, the teacher walks them into the hallway while the rest of the kids sit in the class room and listen out for the loud WHACK. The boys usually come into class smiling with sore butts. .
Here, when my kids where in elementary school, the school sent home a permission slip, asking for permission to use corpral punishment on a child and who could... teacher, principal, etc or to be notified. A parent would have to sign it, with options outlined.
https://www.facebook.com/soloParent
Old 11-08-2012, 02:18 PM   #10
Dad1st4boys Male
Failure is not an Option.

Dad1st4boys Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportDad1st4boys Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportDad1st4boys Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportDad1st4boys Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportDad1st4boys Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportDad1st4boys Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportDad1st4boys Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportDad1st4boys Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportDad1st4boys Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportDad1st4boys Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportDad1st4boys Has a SFV Diamond Heart of Support
Default Re: Spanking Causes Mental Illness?

I was spanked as a child..... And the Motherthing was never spanked...... kinda blows their theory....

The Only Easy Day was Yesterday. NavSpecWar

If it is Important to us we make it happen.......
If it's not, then we make excuses...
Dad1st4boys is offline   Reply With Quote