Wild Dancing Thanksgivng Turkey Is homeschooling an option - Single Parents Forum: Single Family Voices
All forums, topics and discussions are geared to single parents and the issues faced with single parenting.
Support a single parent today and one will support you back!

Go Back   Single Parents Forum: Single Family Voices >
(``'·.¸(``'·.¸ Single Parenting - Through The Ages¸.·'´´)¸.·'´´)
> Homeschooling

~ Donate Today ~ PLEASE

Old 03-03-2013, 11:51 AM   #1
zomom Female
Sweet & Sassy

zomom Has Heart and Soul of an Angelzomom Has Heart and Soul of an Angelzomom Has Heart and Soul of an Angelzomom Has Heart and Soul of an Angelzomom Has Heart and Soul of an Angelzomom Has Heart and Soul of an Angelzomom Has Heart and Soul of an Angelzomom Has Heart and Soul of an Angelzomom Has Heart and Soul of an Angelzomom Has Heart and Soul of an Angelzomom Has Heart and Soul of an Angel
Default Is homeschooling an option

for single moms who work outside the home?
Are there any members doing this?

How about the Independant study programs?

Would love to hear about your experience with this.
Old 03-09-2013, 08:09 AM   #2
MNLoveMySon Female
Parent on Board

MNLoveMySon has a brilliant futureMNLoveMySon has a brilliant futureMNLoveMySon has a brilliant futureMNLoveMySon has a brilliant futureMNLoveMySon has a brilliant future
Default Re: Is homeschooling an option

I don't have personal experience with this but I don't see why it couldn't work for you. You teach along the way, if that means evening school sessions or even weekend, that's up to you.
MNLoveMySon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 11:29 AM   #3
momofTDR Female
Marja

momofTDR Is Rocken These Boards With SupportmomofTDR Is Rocken These Boards With SupportmomofTDR Is Rocken These Boards With SupportmomofTDR Is Rocken These Boards With SupportmomofTDR Is Rocken These Boards With SupportmomofTDR Is Rocken These Boards With SupportmomofTDR Is Rocken These Boards With SupportmomofTDR Is Rocken These Boards With SupportmomofTDR Is Rocken These Boards With SupportmomofTDR Is Rocken These Boards With SupportmomofTDR Is Rocken These Boards With Support

My $0.02:

-I have homeschooled and worked 30 hours a week as a single mom. It was insane. One, I had to have a sitter for him while I worked and daycare wasn't an option because they can choose not to since he was of school age they don't have anywhere for school age kids to go. Leaving him home is NOT an option. Consider this. Homeschooling varies from state to state. Some states, Idaho is one, are very lax. The rules are minimal. However, if CPS gets called about a kid unattended at home and you are at work and later say you are homeschooling....even with proof, it'd be an uphill fight.

-K12, the usual providers for the virtual learning environments, has a pretty big requirement for adult interactions and stuff. I know that we chose not to use their program for that reason. It took the freedom out of homeschooling and pretty much just tried to replicate school at home, which isn't ideal. Also, they require students to attend live virtual classes at a set time, and unless your childcare provider is willing to participate in that....well...it just would be hard. I have a friend whose mom homeschools her kids for her, and she works and gives her mom a bit of $$ as "gifts". Wouldn't that be nice if we all had parents like that! LOL! Oh, but, I do have a friend at church that uses K12 for her daughter, she is a single mom who works full time, but her daughter is 16 and is self directed. Mom just goes over it all and helps where needed in the evenings.

Now, as for choosing to educate your child, in addition to what is provided at school, you can certainly add a lot. I'm sure most kids don't get an adequate science education with practical hands on skills, I don't think counting play money is adequate, and the schools' math programs are generally lacking some necessary skills. This is all stuff that can be done at home.

I'm not trying to be discouraging, but I had done it, after I'd been homeschooling a few years and we had all the kinks worked out and there just wasn't the time I needed to devote to his education and I only worked 30 hours.

---------- Post added at 08:29 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:26 AM ----------

However, if you do choose to try it, I could help guide you in some directions. It can be very overwhelming at first.
Old 03-10-2013, 11:11 AM   #4
Couperc Female
Parent on Board

Couperc has much to be proud ofCouperc has much to be proud of

Dear Zomom,

I have done this with two of my children, 10 and 13. I actually worked midnights some of the time and days.This was three years ago. I had older children at home that were with them at night. Each situation is different. How old is your son. Legally after 12 in NY they don't have to have 24/7 parental supervision, however, I feel 12 is a bit young for being away from a parent or babysitter for long. However I know parents who do this, they work evenings, and kids go to school during the day. Right now I homeschool three at home, I take classes(Masters) at home so now my situation is different. Each situation is individual. What do you see at your ideal ? Our local colleges have distant sites that have all the grade and HS school curriculum on their computers and teachers there. No cost. Ideal for homeschoolers. They also give the SATS, regents, ACT's and so on. Maybe you may have this option in your area. Possibly call the local colleges and see if they have anything like this. Ours are called the SUNY Attain Lab. The phone number for ours is 315-393-1241, and maybe they know of something in your area. Ask to talk with Sarah in the SUNY Attain Lab.My best to you and your family. Christine
Couperc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 04:39 AM   #5
roma Female
I am New

roma is an unknown quantity at this point

I have not started it yet but by reading the stories i am very much interested in doing this. I do think that there is only this option for teaching them better a I don't think that public school system is good enough to teach every thing to the students.
roma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 09:34 AM   #6
trebor Male
Board Beacon Parent

trebor Has Heart and Soul of an Angeltrebor Has Heart and Soul of an Angeltrebor Has Heart and Soul of an Angeltrebor Has Heart and Soul of an Angeltrebor Has Heart and Soul of an Angeltrebor Has Heart and Soul of an Angeltrebor Has Heart and Soul of an Angeltrebor Has Heart and Soul of an Angeltrebor Has Heart and Soul of an Angeltrebor Has Heart and Soul of an Angeltrebor Has Heart and Soul of an Angel

I have known several people who have homeschooled their kids, but only 1 of them lasted more than a couple years. And quite honestly, only one did a good job. That lady homeschooled 2 daughters until they were old enough to attend high school. One of those girls graduated from MIT last year, but she was self motivated.

The others I knew failed at homeschooling pretty quickly. The work load, lack of time, discipline and organization doomed most of them from the start. Also, most of us are good at certain subjects and not so good in others. It makes teaching the not so good ones a bit more difficult, even with textbooks and especially as they get older.

In TN there are benchmarks for what your child needs to know by what age and they still have to take the standardized tests. The good news is that there is several support groups and play groups for families doing home schoolers. That's important not only for the parents but the kids as well, because social skills can be delayed when home schooling.
trebor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 10:38 AM   #7
Re-Mom Female
Mainiac

Re-Mom Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportRe-Mom Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportRe-Mom Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportRe-Mom Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportRe-Mom Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportRe-Mom Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportRe-Mom Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportRe-Mom Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportRe-Mom Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportRe-Mom Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportRe-Mom Has a SFV Diamond Heart of Support

It isn't easy but it is doable. On Trebor's post... you really need to have consistency and set times, super organization, accountability, etc. You also need to manage to find time for your child to be involved in activities (around here even most dance/skate/etc places have classes set up for homeschooled kids).

It is a bit easier in the younger years to get the work done because you can do it all day long while living life and set aside smaller periods of time for real sit-down and do the work schoolwork. It becomes more difficult when you are really teaching history and science principals and procedures, etc. etc. I know a lot of kids in the middle and high school ranges that homeschool for some things but attend a class or two at the school.

If it is to be done, it must be done well to include well rounded studies and experiences.

Call me if you need a delivery....

|^^^^^^^^^^^^^^| ||
|.........WINE TRUCK.........| ||'|";, ___.
|_..._..._______===|=||_|__|..., ] -)
"(@)'(@)"" "''"**|(@)(@)*****''(@)
Re-Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 12:11 PM   #8
LSL Female
The blunt one;)

LSL Is a SFV Support LegendLSL Is a SFV Support LegendLSL Is a SFV Support LegendLSL Is a SFV Support LegendLSL Is a SFV Support LegendLSL Is a SFV Support LegendLSL Is a SFV Support LegendLSL Is a SFV Support LegendLSL Is a SFV Support LegendLSL Is a SFV Support LegendLSL Is a SFV Support Legend

Depends on the child and the parents. I think to successfully homeschool, you need to be a stay at home mom (at least while the kiddos are young).

The kids I know who were homeschooled all years are the weirdest, strangest most socially awkward children I know. Two girls in particular went off the DEEP end after they turned 18, one becoming a major addict.

I know two girls that were homeschooled through middle school. Both have now graduated college and have successful careers.

I know one girl right now, A's age, who A dances with. She has social anxiety so bad that she can't go to school and function. Smart, smart girl. Mom has always been a stay at home mom.

I have a friend homeschooling her three kids right now, all are in grade school. I love seeing her posts on facebook showing what the kids are learning and doing. She succeeds because she is uber organized. She also has the kids in all kinds of sports and activities so they get appropriate age interactions with their peers.
Old 08-29-2013, 12:39 PM   #9
Re-Mom Female
Mainiac

Re-Mom Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportRe-Mom Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportRe-Mom Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportRe-Mom Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportRe-Mom Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportRe-Mom Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportRe-Mom Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportRe-Mom Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportRe-Mom Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportRe-Mom Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportRe-Mom Has a SFV Diamond Heart of Support

Have you guys heard of 'unschooling'? I had a friend on FB, coworker who was obnoxious about his 'unschooling' Basically protesting the school system and constantly posting information on unschooling and the benefits. I'm talking all the way down to allowing kids to write on walls because that is where their creativity is at the moment and walls can be painted. Interestingly, 2 of his boys were asking them if they could try schoolLOL Clearly backfired on them! Anyway, I blocked him a few years ago...being a former teacher I didn't really want to see all the posts about how evil and useless teachers are!

One of my friends (in Alaska) homeschools. She does an amazing job at it! She has 4 kids... they are seriously active in music, clubs, sports. Add to that the family is always out doing short marathons, cross country skiing, and other alaskan things such as salmoning, hunting, etc. Her kids school through the summer so that she can keep it to a few days a week of serious studies with all the activities. She also gives them the option every single year of doing public or home schooling. This year she has two that want to do public... they will be working a year ahead as they've learned so much from her at home. It is pretty awesome to watch. Again, she's uber organized! She posted her schedules she prints for each of them (along with a family one) She has it down to the leave and return home time which is brilliant)

She had a sm part time job at her youngest's school for a few years but not anymore as the youngest opted to be homeschooled. She also has one twin that is autistic. Going along with the convo about food in 'thinking' she is a food magician... these kids all had so many allergies, she was ordering odd flours from all over the country. Makes all of her own everything, including sandwich bread the rare times they eat it. When she took her son off anything not fresh (she does paleo) within about 2 months he began to talk for the first time right before he turned 9. It has been an amazing experience for them and so educational to watch from the outside!

Call me if you need a delivery....

|^^^^^^^^^^^^^^| ||
|.........WINE TRUCK.........| ||'|";, ___.
|_..._..._______===|=||_|__|..., ] -)
"(@)'(@)"" "''"**|(@)(@)*****''(@)
Re-Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 02:41 AM   #10
ididit Male
Learning to Surf The Board

ididit is an unknown quantity at this point

i homeschooled for 4 yrs..it did get hard but worth it keeping them out of public schools especially now with 'COMMON CORE" BEING IMPLEMENTED. ever hear of michael faris? look him up find local homeschool groups that teach in co ops. if you work during the day than maybe you can take on a saturday on a feild trip or handle gym....good luck. it is rewarding and better.
ididit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 07:08 AM   #11
mykidisfirst Female
Social Director

mykidisfirst has a brilliant futuremykidisfirst has a brilliant futuremykidisfirst has a brilliant future

I think it depends on the parents the child and the opportunities they may have in where you live. In Florida we have free virtual schooling- which is homeschooling. There are also a lot of opportunities for the kids to go out in social groups. I do not home school, but when my son was 5 and I decided not to put him in Kindergarten just yet they were lots of home schooling classes around here. Mosi, Busch Gardens, Lowry Park, and the Florida Aquarium. I think Mosi even has a tutoring station set up now. So if that is what you are into around here there are opportunities for these kids to socialize, the parent just gets to pick when and where. They even get groups together and do sleepovers at these places so they have overnight learning experiences. So if this is something you are considering check out if their are places close to you that may have a way to help support you in some of the curriculum you may not be that awesome at. I am even considering pulling my son out of school to take him to a homeschooling class at Mosi for fun.

---------- Post added at 10:08 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:54 AM ----------

Follow up thought maybe some of you might be interested in these just in case you are interested around here. Homeschool options near Tampa.http://www.flaquarium.org/education-...l-classes.aspx
http://www.lowryparkzoo.com/_educati...eld_trips.html
http://www.mosi.org/education/homeschool.aspx
http://seaworldparks.com/en/buschgar...onal-Programs2
http://glazermuseum.org/grown-up-stu...school-groups/

Okay I think you get the drift!
Old 06-29-2015, 08:16 PM   #12
zomom Female
Sweet & Sassy

zomom Has Heart and Soul of an Angelzomom Has Heart and Soul of an Angelzomom Has Heart and Soul of an Angelzomom Has Heart and Soul of an Angelzomom Has Heart and Soul of an Angelzomom Has Heart and Soul of an Angelzomom Has Heart and Soul of an Angelzomom Has Heart and Soul of an Angelzomom Has Heart and Soul of an Angelzomom Has Heart and Soul of an Angelzomom Has Heart and Soul of an Angel

So, here it goes!
Been working on my organization skills, reached out to a few groups, and enrolled Z in a charter school that offers TONS of activities!

We'll see how it goes
Old 06-30-2015, 10:02 AM   #13
mustang2008 Female
Parent on Board

mustang2008 has a brilliant futuremustang2008 has a brilliant futuremustang2008 has a brilliant future

Yes. But I agree with LSL, it stunts their social growth and creates more problems than it is worth.

Every child I know who has been homeschooled faces all kinds of other social issues at various ages.
mustang2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2015, 03:56 PM   #14
international Male
I am New

international is an unknown quantity at this point

Zomom, visit this website...
www.international-treats.com
they have a great box geared towards teaching kids about world cultures, each month is something different!!
international is offline   Reply With Quote