Wild Dancing Thanksgivng Turkey Need help keeping 4 yr old at table!!!! - Single Parents Forum: Single Family Voices
All forums, topics and discussions are geared to single parents and the issues faced with single parenting.
Support a single parent today and one will support you back!

Go Back   Single Parents Forum: Single Family Voices >
(``'·.¸(``'·.¸ Single Parenting - Through The Ages¸.·'´´)¸.·'´´)
> Discipline

~ Donate Today ~ PLEASE

Old 02-26-2007, 08:11 PM   #1
Mashell
Lively & Zealous Parent

Mashell is an unknown quantity at this point

Lately it seems as tho I can NEVER keep Julia (age 4) at the table when it is time to eat! Does anybody else have this problem? She has to get down for this or that or just to wander around. I also have the same issue with her in resteraunts, it is almost impossible to take her out to eat because 9 times out of 10 she misbehaves. I tried to not take her but then that is not fair to the other girls that they don't get to go out because their sister misbehaves!
Mashell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2007, 09:44 PM   #2
missabb
Board Blazen Parent

missabb is an unknown quantity at this point

How bout tying her to the chair? Just kidding.

My daughter cant sit still either. Wiggling, sliding off her chair, gotta get up and show me what she learned in gymnastics. I just keep reminding her to sit down. I dont actually have as much trouble with her in restaurants. But I dont think keeping her home is the answer. I have a friend who wont take her son anywhere with her because he doesn't listen. But then when she has to take him with for a family thing or something he's really horrible. She should go with you for practice. If she's behaving unnacceptably, take her into the restroom and have a talk with her. After a while, she'll get the hang of it. I would also maybe have a talk with her on the way out to dinner about "how we behave at restaurants."

She's awful cute, though.
Old 02-26-2007, 10:12 PM   #3
paulj_in_phx Male
Back From the Dead..Sorta

paulj_in_phx is a splendid one to beholdpaulj_in_phx is a splendid one to behold

Well...I actually had this problem with all 3 of my kids:

With one...we started at home..by not letting her eat..unless she was sitting at the table....and she could not even sit until she was planning to eat. That worked most of the time cause she didnt want to be left out while we were eating. ( you know, the old forbidden fruit, reverse psychology thing) It's tough to do, cause you have to able to let them skip a meal so they're really hungry by the next one.

That didnt work with my son, though and he had to snack and run, absolutely tons of energy..which he eventually grew out of....Now, he can sleep till after noon.

My oldest daughter, that one we couldnt take anywhere and actually got kicked out of a restaurant cause she was being too loud. LOL So we HAD TO just wait till she grew out of it,...when she was old enough to understand we weren't going to restaurants cause of her, she slowly learned to behave.

Good Luck.
paulj_in_phx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2007, 10:24 PM   #4
Sunflower Central
Board Blazen Parent

Sunflower Central is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm of the same opinion as Paul.

My kids have had a mild version of this problem. When the feet start coming up to the table, I order them to take their plate to the kitchen, and feel free to finish their dinner in the kitchen, or throw the food out. They continue to laugh with glee in the kitchen, often spilling juice or milk on the floor. They make another huge mess. And what do you know, Mommy hands the mess right back to them. Here's the broom, here's the mop!

We have to review this lesson about every month or two months. And like Paul said, it's a real drag at first. The being consistent thing is really tough, total energy drain. And it can hurt really bad to see them go without a meal. Recently I was able to take my kids to a sit down meal, and make it thru with no embarassement. Mine are now 7 and 6, and have had occasional dinners in the kitchen for about 2 years.
Sunflower Central is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2007, 10:46 PM   #5
Dad of 3 + 3 Male
Lively & Zealous Parent

Dad of 3 + 3 is a glorious beacon of lightDad of 3 + 3 is a glorious beacon of light

I have no problems with kids missing meals. My 27yo missed 2 meals in a row when he was in grade school for something wouldn't do and was asking what was going to be for breakfast to see if he wanted to obey, he was one hard headed boy.

I don't think his mom every got it that missing meals was working with him.

Things Get Better with age ...
I'm approaching Magnificent

Dad of 3 + 3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2007, 11:02 PM   #6
hi
Parent on Board

hi is an unknown quantity at this point

i actually have a solution for this!

i put this in the adhd thread also - but it is this little disc you put in the chair and it gives ancy kids the stimulation they need to be able to sit in their seat. sounds weird i know, but it works wonders on my nephew who is mildly autistic.

http://www.fitter1.com/disco-sit.html

no harm in trying if you can spare the coinage - and maybe you can find one on e-bay or create something similar. it is filled with air and has bumps all over the surface
hi is offline   Reply With Quote