Wild Dancing Thanksgivng Turkey single mom/college student struggling - Single Parents Forum: Single Family Voices
All forums, topics and discussions are geared to single parents and the issues faced with single parenting.
Support a single parent today and one will support you back!

Go Back   Single Parents Forum: Single Family Voices >
(``'·.¸(``'·.¸ Tips, Tricks & Ideas ¸.·'´´)¸.·'´´)
> School & Work Life > Campus Single Parents

Notices

~ Donate Today ~ PLEASE

Old 12-03-2003, 08:56 AM   #1
daizha&donte's mom
I am New

daizha&donte's mom is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi, i am shalaine. This is my first post and I'm not quite sure I'm doing this right but hopefully I am. I am a single mom of 2,my girl is 6 will be 7 in January and my boy is 5. I am a fulltime college student and I also work and I can not make ends meet. My life is really hard right now and I am trying very hard. I am always sad and I think I am mildly depressed but it is getting worse. I can hardly pay my bills and I think this load is a little too much for me to carry. Someone please respond, I need help. I cry everyday and when I try being positive and happy, something happens to remind me that everything is falling apart.
HELP
daizha&donte's mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2003, 08:56 AM   #2
daizha&donte's mom
I am New

Hi, i am shalaine. This is my first post and I'm not quite sure I'm doing this right but hopefully I am. I am a single mom of 2,my girl is 6 will be 7 in January and my boy is 5. I am a fulltime college student and I also work and I can not make ends meet. My life is really hard right now and I am trying very hard. I am always sad and I think I am mildly depressed but it is getting worse. I can hardly pay my bills and I think this load is a little too much for me to carry. Someone please respond, I need help. I cry everyday and when I try being positive and happy, something happens to remind me that everything is falling apart.
HELP
Old 12-03-2003, 09:57 AM   #3
Maywest
On the Board

Maywest is an unknown quantity at this point

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by daizha&donte's mom:
[qb]Hi, i am shalaine. This is my first post and I'm not quite sure I'm doing this right but hopefully I am. I am a single mom of 2,my girl is 6 will be 7 in January and my boy is 5. I am a fulltime college student and I also work and I can not make ends meet. My life is really hard right now and I am trying very hard. I am always sad and I think I am mildly depressed but it is getting worse. I can hardly pay my bills and I think this load is a little too much for me to carry. Someone please respond, I need help. I cry everyday and when I try being positive and happy, something happens to remind me that everything is falling apart.
HELP[/qb] </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I know what you are going through and my heart goes out to you and your children. You said you are depressed maybe it would be a good idea to go see a doctor and tell him what is happening. Maybe he could help. I'm a single parent to but you have to keep your self together for the children. And I to know all to well how hard it is to make ends meat. Do you go to church? If not try and find one that would help relieve some stress you have but also make you feel closer to god. There has been days that if I didn't have god by my side I don't know how I would have gotten through it. God works miracles try him he is always there when your friends can't always be there. Maywest
Maywest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2003, 12:59 PM   #4
daizha&donte's mom
I am New

thanks for ther reply. I appreciate it and I am doing all the things you mentioned, except seeing a doctor. I try not to let it affect my 2 kids but at night or any time I am alone I am depressed and just dont understand why things are so hard. Especially when I am trying hard.
Thankyou so much.
It also helps to talk about it.
Old 12-03-2003, 01:56 PM   #5
Destinys mom
Parent on Board

Destinys mom is an unknown quantity at this point

I know that it is sooo hard when things seem to go sooo worng, but look at your children they are soooo wonderful and awesome. I know how it feels to work your ____ off to get a paycheck and it be gone the same day you get it. It really sucks, but be greatful that you get to go to school. I have to go to home school because I can not afford real school. I work full time and am a full time mother! But it is great!!!! I get it all... All the kisses all the hugs all the first words and giggles all the exsperssions and all the satisfaction knowing one day she is going to grow up to be someone wonderful and it is all because of me MOMMY! not DADDY!!! Keep your head up honey and look at your glass as half full not empty. YOu just joined a great forum and you are no longer alone!!!!
AManda
Old 12-07-2003, 02:56 PM   #6
Hailey'sMommy
I am New

Hailey'sMommy is an unknown quantity at this point

I just want to let you know that I too, am dealing with the same issues. I am 26 years old and have a 2 year old daughter, I work full time and go to school part time. I live on my own and have to pay rent, car payment, day care, and utility bills. It gets really tough sometimes, specially with money. I get money from my baby's dad but it's not court ordered and so sometimes he's not consistant. (I know....I should file for child support). Even though at times I feel like giving up school, or feel everything is just going down hill, those are the times that I try and stay the strongest. Things always have a way of working themselves out. And I'm living proof of that! When I decided to leave my daughter's father a year ago, I was very afraid because I knew that I would barely be able to make it on my own. But look at me now, I made it! And even though it's tough, I keep telling myself that things will get better in time.
Do you have any family or friends that you can talk to? I agree with the other person about maybe seeing a doctor for your depression. Definately seek help if you're running out of hope.
Just don't give up, things WILL get better soon, you just have to believe that!!
Hailey'sMommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2003, 10:31 PM   #7
Jakesmommy
Parent on Board

Jakesmommy is an unknown quantity at this point

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by daizha&donte's mom:
[qb]thanks for ther reply. I appreciate it and I am doing all the things you mentioned, except seeing a doctor. I try not to let it affect my 2 kids but at night or any time I am alone I am depressed and just dont understand why things are so hard. Especially when I am trying hard.
Thankyou so much.
It also helps to talk about it.[/qb] </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Jakesmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2003, 10:36 PM   #8
Jakesmommy
Parent on Board

Jakesmommy is an unknown quantity at this point

Shalaine, Hi I'm new too, this is my first posting(except for the one I messed up trying to respond to you). I hope I can offer some inspiration. I am a single mom of one, trying desperately to finish college too. The good news is that I've made it-next semester is my last! I have felt the way you have and I have been depressed and I know it hurts and you want to give up. Please don't do it!!! The best feeling in the world is seeing a bright and wonderful future right before your eyes. It's a long road but I promise it is worth it! I will be able to take care of my son and we won't have to struggle anymore, it was worth all those long sad nights, and all that work... keep trying..you can do it! Megan
Jakesmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2003, 09:44 PM   #9
Krista
I am New

Krista is an unknown quantity at this point

I am a single mom of a boy who is five and a girl who is 7. I work full time and go to school. I really don't like being alone either, but I am studying Buddhism and it really helps me to stay positive. You should try it. Good Luck

[qb]Hi, i am shalaine. This is my first post and I'm not quite sure I'm doing this right but hopefully I am. I am a single mom of 2,my girl is 6 will be 7 in January and my boy is 5. I am a fulltime college student and I also work and I can not make ends meet. My life is really hard right now and I am trying very hard. I am always sad and I think I am mildly depressed but it is getting worse. I can hardly pay my bills and I think this load is a little too much for me to carry. Someone please respond, I need help. I cry everyday and when I try being positive and happy, something happens to remind me that everything is falling apart.
HELP[/qb] </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Krista is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2003, 10:22 AM   #10
daizha&donte's mom
I am New

I would like to thank everyone who came to my rescue with words of encouragement. Things are getting a little better, but everyday is different. However, I thank GOD for keeping me sane because it has been rough. I noticed on one of the replies someone asked me about family helping, all I have to say about that is the people you think should help you will be the first ones to watch you struggle. But thats okay. GOD has the last say and I know he'll see me throug. Oh MERRY CHRISTMAS TO EVERYONE AND ALL YOUR WONDERFUL CHILDREN!!!!!!!!!
Old 12-17-2003, 02:03 PM   #11
igohard83
On the Board

igohard83 is an unknown quantity at this point

[qb]I would like to thank everyone who came to my rescue with words of encouragement. Things are getting a little better, but everyday is different. However, I thank GOD for keeping me sane because it has been rough. I noticed on one of the replies someone asked me about family helping, all I have to say about that is the people you think should help you will be the first ones to watch you struggle. But thats okay. GOD has the last say and I know he'll see me throug. Oh MERRY CHRISTMAS TO EVERYONE AND ALL YOUR WONDERFUL CHILDREN!!!!!!!!![/qb] </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I know exactly what you're saying! I've been through it myself. It can be hard, especially when you raising your kids all by yourself; and like you said you'll be surprised who'll watch you struggle. My parents put me out at age 15, when I got pregnant with my oldest son, Nasir. I was in high school and not even old enough to get a job. And when I got pregnant at 17 with my youngest son Tyjhe', they really disowned me then. You never know who'll really be there for you and have your back unitl you reach an obstacle. COntinue to have faith in God and he shall see you through! I'm here for you if you ever need to talk; I'm sure we can relate on a lot of issues.
Old 02-05-2004, 04:21 PM   #12
far-away-angel
I am New

far-away-angel is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi shalaine,

You may not be aware of this but you can get help from government agencies for rent, utility bills, food.....you name it!

Their websites are on the internet so you can check what is the closest office from where you live.

I looked over the net and here is most of their sites :

The U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) http://www.hud.gov/

funds three primary types of federal housing assistance to low-income families: public housing, tenant-based housing and project-based programs.

The U.S. Department of Agriculture�s Rural Housing Service http://www.rurdev.usda.gov/rhs/

operates a broad range of programs that provide homeownership, housing rehabilitation and preservation funding, rental assistance, help to developers of multi-family housing and community facilities.

The following sites are online tools to help you locate other source of help near you. I thought that may help as well.

Affordable Housing Resource Center www.novoco.com/resource.shtml

News, events and resources related to affordable housing.

Housing Financing Options for Rural Areas www.nal.gov/ric/faqs/faqfront.htm

Information on federal and private housing resources for rural communities and individuals living in rural areas.

U.S. Department of Agriculture
USDA Rural Development Funding Notices www.rurdev.usda.gov/rd/nofas/

Links to current USDA Notices of Funds Availability (NOFAs) for rural development programs.

You will have to go their office and get an application as well as make an appointment.

services provided are often on a case-by-case basis, typical critical needs provided include food, housing assistance, rental assistance, shelter referrals, clothing, transportation, utility assistance, translation assistance, forms assistance, landlord/tenant information and referral, mediation assistance, advocacy, and infant needs.

I am sure they will be able to do something for you.

Meanwhile I will keep you and your children in my prayers.

Good luck!

far-away-angel
far-away-angel is offline   Reply With Quote