Wild Dancing Thanksgivng Turkey single mom, teacher, struggling to do both...no family close by - Single Parents Forum: Single Family Voices
All forums, topics and discussions are geared to single parents and the issues faced with single parenting.
Support a single parent today and one will support you back!

Go Back   Single Parents Forum: Single Family Voices >
(``'·.¸(``'·.¸ Tips, Tricks & Ideas ¸.·'´´)¸.·'´´)
> School & Work Life > Work & Employment

Notices

~ Donate Today ~ PLEASE

Old 11-08-2004, 12:01 AM   #1
sethsmom005
I am New

sethsmom005 is an unknown quantity at this point

I am a single mom of an amibitious and energetic 3-year old (aren't they all), and I am struggling to be both a great middle school science teacher and a great mom. My situation is this:

I wake up about 5:45 am, to get ready for work, get my son up about 6:30 or so, leave to drop him off at daycare and go to work, and then I leave school about 6:00 pm, as I am working an extra program to get some extra money.

So I pick up my son by 6:30 pm, we come home, get dinner, etc., and I try to get him a bath and in bed by 8:30 or so, and then I STILL have to grade papers or make lesson plans, etc. for school. I basically have 2 hours to be with my son per day.

At school, I have a lot of meetings of which I am expected to attend, and my planning time does not allow me to get done, all that I need to get done. Other teachers tell me to give the students independent work, and then I should do my grading, etc. while they're working, but in Science, it's a little more difficult, and I find that as quick as this curriculum is going, that for students to read and understand on their own in one day, is difficult at best.

I love to teach, but hate the extra work that goes with it...grading papers, the extra time to plan and prepare items...I often find myself pulling late nights at home to get papers graded or grades entered into the computer.

We just recently moved to Florida, too, which makes it difficult. We were currently living with my parents in Ohio, not having to make any rent payments, utility payments, etc., and now I have all of that, and my ex, whom I don't talk to or see, lost his job, and now I have not received any child support in the last 2 weeks.

I would love to have a desk job where I could make the same amount of money as I am now (if not more) without having to take work home...I feel as though I am missing the most precious years of my son's life, because of the amount of work I have to do as a teacher.

Are there any single parent teachers out there who can help me?????? How do you organize yourself? your classroom? your grades?

Please help!

Sincerely

Sethsmom005
sethsmom005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2004, 12:01 AM   #2
sethsmom005
I am New

sethsmom005 is an unknown quantity at this point

I am a single mom of an amibitious and energetic 3-year old (aren't they all), and I am struggling to be both a great middle school science teacher and a great mom. My situation is this:

I wake up about 5:45 am, to get ready for work, get my son up about 6:30 or so, leave to drop him off at daycare and go to work, and then I leave school about 6:00 pm, as I am working an extra program to get some extra money.

So I pick up my son by 6:30 pm, we come home, get dinner, etc., and I try to get him a bath and in bed by 8:30 or so, and then I STILL have to grade papers or make lesson plans, etc. for school. I basically have 2 hours to be with my son per day.

At school, I have a lot of meetings of which I am expected to attend, and my planning time does not allow me to get done, all that I need to get done. Other teachers tell me to give the students independent work, and then I should do my grading, etc. while they're working, but in Science, it's a little more difficult, and I find that as quick as this curriculum is going, that for students to read and understand on their own in one day, is difficult at best.

I love to teach, but hate the extra work that goes with it...grading papers, the extra time to plan and prepare items...I often find myself pulling late nights at home to get papers graded or grades entered into the computer.

We just recently moved to Florida, too, which makes it difficult. We were currently living with my parents in Ohio, not having to make any rent payments, utility payments, etc., and now I have all of that, and my ex, whom I don't talk to or see, lost his job, and now I have not received any child support in the last 2 weeks.

I would love to have a desk job where I could make the same amount of money as I am now (if not more) without having to take work home...I feel as though I am missing the most precious years of my son's life, because of the amount of work I have to do as a teacher.

Are there any single parent teachers out there who can help me?????? How do you organize yourself? your classroom? your grades?

Please help!

Sincerely

Sethsmom005
sethsmom005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2004, 02:32 AM   #3
Robin Female
Lively & Zealous Parent

Robin has a spectacular aura about

How about sharing house space?

You have a great resource of parents from the school, maybe ask around to see if another mother with a small child would like to share the stress. With the kids being small you can bunk them up till they are bigger or one or both get on their feet.

Do you think that once your son is in school that it will be better? Can you start keeping an eye on the school - your son will be going to - for opening, positions? Could that be of help?

I hope I can give you something better but, I am at a lose. I had always thought that being a teacher might be better in our situation.

Maybe get a college student in and in-exchange of rent they could do some housework, or pick up your child, or cook.

That was just a lingering thought.

I would be interested in what you find out. I would love to hear some suggestions that have figured out this problem or at least easier.

Peace
Robin