Wild Dancing Thanksgivng Turkey Homeschooling.... - Single Parents Forum: Single Family Voices
All forums, topics and discussions are geared to single parents and the issues faced with single parenting.
Support a single parent today and one will support you back!

Go Back   Single Parents Forum: Single Family Voices >
(``'·.¸(``'·.¸ Single Parenting - Through The Ages¸.·'´´)¸.·'´´)
> Homeschooling

~ Donate Today ~ PLEASE

Old 09-08-2000, 01:45 AM   #1
Visitor

I have just recently started homeschooling my 2 kindegarten age kids. I love it so far..they seem to be more into it and way more attentive. And I really like the fact that when they get to wound up we can just take a short break and come back to it. I had decided to home school them this year due to some personal issues and problems. I am glad I did. Do we have any other homeschooling parents out there who would like to talk about their expeirences or just have some support or offer some to newbies?
Old 10-07-2000, 06:59 PM   #2
Robin Female
Lively & Zealous Parent

Robin has a spectacular aura about

Hey Taffi28
I home school _when I was married_ my oldest child when he was in 7 and 8th grade greated thing to do.

Last year my 2 grader had a hard time about going to school and since I already had my twins home what one more.

So I home school second grade last year, This year the twins started Kindergarden so off they all went, It like having someone help you raise your kids.

How do you do it Taffi, single mom and All-Do you work from home?
Old 04-17-2005, 11:28 PM   #3
Singermomof2
I am New

Singermomof2 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello!
Nice to see other homeschooling mom's out there! I have been homeschooling for 11 years! My daughter is now a Junior and my Son is in 2nd Grade. I am also a leader in our support group. I would encourage anyone to get involved in a support group. There are lots of them out there. Ours happens to be Christian based but there are secular, Catholic, and lots of others. Local Libraries and Teaching Stores or even your state Department of Education may be able to help you find a group. Our group offers various activities like roller skating, bowling, academic fairs, field trips, mom's night outs, sports activites, and much more. Feel free to pm me anytime with questions! Happy Homeschooling.

Jill
Singermomof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2005, 02:44 AM   #4
raphael
I am New

raphael is an unknown quantity at this point

It's worth it! Please use a good program, one that has makes sense to you when viewed from "above." When or if you decide to put the kids back into the system (any system) they should soar to the top of their class and never look back. They will tend to hang out with "the smart kids" and that should save a lot of worries. Dont forget music-- it makes a huge difference.

r
raphael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2005, 12:56 AM   #5
homeschooling-single-mom-of-2
I am New

homeschooling-single-mom-of-2 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi, I have been homeschooling my son since 2003, and my daughter will be ready in 2007. I am planning to homeschool them all the way through.

Children thrive in a natural atmosphere. They are learning at home, not being "indoctrinated" by what the govt schools teach ought to be a priority.

By the Grace of God, I am able to work from my computer. I would do whatever it took to stay home with them, and not allow daycare centers and school systems to raise my children. :-)

Homeschooling is simply a way of life, and is the Right choice for me and my children. They are receiving a Bible-based education without the cost of private school tuition! Homeschoolers on average spend less than $200-$500 a year on materials. That works for a single parent budget! :-)

Blessings,
Katie
homeschooling-single-mom-of-2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2005, 04:47 PM   #6
Dew
Setting New Standards

Dew is an unknown quantity at this point

I am not doubting the fact that the kids learn better and more when they're taught in small groups, which is obviously the case with home schooling.

But in my opinion, the most important reason kids go to school, and I mean the first years of school, is to learn to interact socially, to have a social circle and a life of their own, beside their family.
In my understanding, that is what I am sending my 3 year old away to learn. To be in society, to learn to like it even though it can be stressful at times. Learning to use a pen, and later to write and count..I consider those important, but really not the main reason to send them to school
(again, I am refering to small children..let's say until grade 5).

so my question is: How do you make up for this when you home school ?
Old 08-02-2005, 08:47 PM   #7
Ginapet
On the Board

Ginapet is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally posted by Dew:
[qb] I am not doubting the fact that the kids learn better and more when they're taught in small groups, which is obviously the case with home schooling.

But in my opinion, the most important reason kids go to school, and I mean the first years of school, is to learn to interact socially, to have a social circle and a life of their own, beside their family.
In my understanding, that is what I am sending my 3 year old away to learn. To be in society, to learn to like it even though it can be stressful at times. Learning to use a pen, and later to write and count..I consider those important, but really not the main reason to send them to school
(again, I am refering to small children..let's say until grade 5).

so my question is: How do you make up for this when you home school ? [/qb]
I don't homeschool my children currently, but I am considering it heavily. The reasons you named above, for putting your children "in" school, can all be achieved at home.

For instance, even though I don't homeschool my children I go to our local teacher's supplies stores and buy tons of workbooks and give them four pages of tear-outs everyday in addition to the homework they get in public school in areas I want them to have more practice.

You will teach your child to hold a pen or pencil (and write) just like you taught them to go to the bathroom - same principle, different task. They will learn interacting and socialization skills from you.

And you always have the option of supplementing their education if you believe they aren't getting enough from you or you simply want them to have more. Local parks and community centers have a whole slew of extracurricular activities in which to engage your children. Don't forget art and history museums, mommy and kids groups, church affiliation, etc.
Ginapet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2005, 10:00 AM   #8
tomany2count
Visitor

I know quite a few parents that home-school and all I can say is my hats off to you. If you are able to do it and do a good job at it I think that is awesome and awesome!
I personally could not do it.

As far as learning to be social the ones I know do it have several activities their children are in to get the social interaction.
Old 08-07-2005, 02:51 PM   #9
scoutmom
Board Blazen Parent

scoutmom is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi All,
My name is Heidi and I am new to the group. I have wanted to homeschool for a couple of years now but with my work schedule I have not been able to figure out a way yet. I know several families that have home-schooled and the rewards have been amazing. Some people are afraid that they won't learn to socialize but I think it is just the opposite. Teaching at home allows you the freedom to plan lessons around activities such as sports, scouts, and other youth groups that normally there is just never enough time for. Kids are not taught how to deal with eachother and then next thing you know they are shooting eachother. I think there is way too much of an emphasis put on academics in elementary schools and not enough on life skills. Elementary school should be where they get their foundation on which to grow and learn how to learn. How many kids are forced to learn things that have no interest and meaning to them? When a child is interested they will soak up knowlege, if they are lacking interest it just becomes taxing and a waste of time and they gain nothing. Well I'll climb off my soap box now, but for those of you who are or are considering home-schooling please do not let the majority scare you out of it. No one knows what your child needs more than you and if your gut is telling you to do something you are probably right. Really what can it hurt, if it doesn't seem to work put them back in school and really all you have lost is a little time. My son has been diagnosed7h with ADHD so he has extreme difficulty in school but functions just fine everywhere else. They just want me to keep increasing meds and have him see doctotrs. Funny how outside of school he excels greatly and people just love to be around him. Seems to me he just doesn't fit the mold that the schools have to work with. Don't get me wrong I think for a majority of kids the schools are fine with some monitoring, but there are a few very special ones out there that need a different approach. I'm sorry this was so long it just tends to be a subject close to my heart.
Cheers,
Heidi
scoutmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2005, 03:28 PM   #10
Dew
Setting New Standards

Dew is an unknown quantity at this point

, Heidi,

homeschooling...
I am thinking the situation is very different in the US. Here there aren't as many private organisations for kids. Most everything is organized by the State.
But then your point is of course completely valid. School is made for the 'average kid', whatever that means. Well, ALL kids are different from that average, and many are VERY different and school has no way to satisfy their needs at all.

But for now I will still trust the national education system.
I believe it's also important for a person (a child or an adult) to adapt to his/her environment, to succeed even if the conditions are not perfect for this specific person (which they never are).
It's a difficult balance...between wanting to give your child the best you can, the perfect education adapted to this very child, leading it every step of the way so I am sure it will be part of the best.....and teaching it to be a part of something that is everything but perfect: society; basically throwing it into the water before it can really swim and letting it learn to survive.
Old 08-08-2005, 05:12 PM   #11
scoutmom
Board Blazen Parent

scoutmom is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello Dew,
Before my son entered the school system I shared many of your views, but have since changed many of them. I cannot speak for the schools in Europe or even other parts of the US. I can only speak of my experience with my son. Most of the people I talk to who have thought of home-schooling are met with a lot of resistance and little encouragement. I just wanted to offer those who are looking into it some words of encouragement. Like I said for most kids the schools are adequate but that doesn't mean that the exceptions should be cast out, or made to feel inferior to other students.
I for one feel it is my duty to make sure that my son is well equip with whatever floaties I can provide before he is thrown into the waters to learn to swim. What happens after that is up to him, but hopefully he will have learned enough to avoid the sharks.
Cheers,
Heidi
scoutmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2005, 12:32 AM   #12
paulj_in_phx Male
Back From the Dead..Sorta

paulj_in_phx is a splendid one to beholdpaulj_in_phx is a splendid one to behold

Uh...Ok from what I've read so far... I guess I'm the Veteran Homeschooler here?
With a daughter, 18 completely homeschooled, and a son, 15 and youngest 10 also. The last couple of years have been a real upheaval. Their school schedule has been unorganized to put it mildly, what with everything I've been going through with a divorce. But, the results of an entire childhood of homeschooling, ... Wow! I have been truly blessed to have been able to school my children at home. My children can hold their own with any traditionally educated teenagers, college students and what's more, they can converse with adults without driving them nuts! Now that's saying something! I can go on and on about how my kids can do this and that, songwriting, writing a novel, creating a whole written language, manners, courtesy, correct speech patterns, critical thinking, proper english ...etc, etc. But, this is absolutely the norm for homeschoolers!! My kids are not an exception! They're great kids, but so are all the other homeschooled kids they've grown up with.

There are NO negatives to homeschooling your children that can be succesfully argued; save for the fact it is REALLY difficult without a 2 parent household. Believe me, I know both sides of that and by myself, it is really difficult now.

IF you can at all make the time and meet the financial requirements to afford proper materials, do it, absolutely DO IT! The rewards FAR outweigh the headaches.

Just throwing my 2 cents in.

paulj_in_phx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2005, 12:38 AM   #13
paulj_in_phx Male

paulj_in_phx is a splendid one to beholdpaulj_in_phx is a splendid one to behold

Hey Scoutmom! Your name is Heidi? Cute.

That's one of my favorite names. ..... Sorry, got a thing for names.

I know that's kind of weird.

For example, if you name is Jessica or Jennifer, you would TOTALLY have my attention. Never been able to figure out why.

Hmmm.
Old 09-21-2005, 12:41 AM   #14
paulj_in_phx Male

Sorry to get off topic. I'm a man.(= simpleminded)

Carry On.
Old 09-29-2005, 07:22 PM   #15
cherilyn
I am New

cherilyn is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi there...i have been a single parent for about 10 years now and i have homeschooled my daughter who is now 9 and my son (21) and daughter (22). If i can be of any encouragement to you please email me...it is quite a chore to juggle homeschooling work and homemaking, but so worth it!!!
blessings and prayers
Cherilyn
Quote:
Originally posted by taffi28:
[qb] I have just recently started homeschooling my 2 kindegarten age kids. I love it so far..they seem to be more into it and way more attentive. And I really like the fact that when they get to wound up we can just take a short break and come back to it. I had decided to home school them this year due to some personal issues and problems. I am glad I did. Do we have any other homeschooling parents out there who would like to talk about their expeirences or just have some support or offer some to newbies? [/qb]
cherilyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2005, 07:42 PM   #16
emilou
Learning to Surf The Board

emilou is an unknown quantity at this point

My son has an anxiety/panic disorder so homeschooling was the answer.
You can take correspondence courses. He was able to pick what he wanted and at first they suggest doing only one so your child isn't overwhelmed.
There is also virtual highschool. Where we live courses my son needed weren't offered by our local school board but they have an agreement with other school boards. Unfortunately, we had the internet but lost it due to problems with our provider so he hasn't started that but for him this (home schooling) has been a blessing. We now have internet back so hopefully he will begin virtual high school in January. There are also virtual high schools that are private but you pay for. This wasn't an option for this single divorced mom. It may be an option though for someone else.
Some I looked into seemed to be excellent.
He was in an alternative program but it became too popular and because of the ratio of students it no longer suited my son's needs.
We decided and fought for him to home-school for over two years.
He is a great kid. You can socialize with family, friends and while doing other activities.
He is quite capable young man and this works for our family.
I feel strongly that a parent who chooses to home-school should be commended.
Every child has their own learning style and if we take the time to find out what their learning style is we can make it a positive experience.
All of us just needs to do what works for our individual family.
We are loving it.
emilou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2005, 08:45 PM   #17
the sane one
Lively & Zealous Parent

the sane one is an unknown quantity at this point

I have always thought that home shcooling is probably best. I've read reports where home schooled children come out way above their peers on tests.
I dont know if I'd have the stamina to do it, and I know I cant work and do it at the same time. I just have a question about it.
My worst subject was math. How would I, if I did home school, teach this subject? How could I correct answers that I'm not so sure of myself? Do they have other parents who are stronger in a subject, and you can get help from them? Just curious.
the sane one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2005, 01:49 AM   #18
Earthmother
Learning to Surf The Board

Earthmother is an unknown quantity at this point

I just started homeschooling my 13yr. old son, and i have my 4 year old so homeschooling him to. Some days it is challenging as i also have a 10 month old girl, so i have to keep schedule. but I will admit that I do enjoy it and I love spending time with my children and seeing them progress.

I know I definitely need support, cuz it can be hard homeschooling, and operating businesses from home.. whew!

Look to hear from me somebody..
Earthmother is offline   Reply With Quote