Wild Dancing Thanksgivng Turkey Are You A Single Struggling Mom? - Single Parents Forum: Single Family Voices
All forums, topics and discussions are geared to single parents and the issues faced with single parenting.
Support a single parent today and one will support you back!

Go Back   Single Parents Forum: Single Family Voices >
(``'·.¸(``'·.¸ Single Parent Mothers ¸.·'´´)¸.·'´´)
> Single Moms

~ Donate Today ~ PLEASE

Old 06-08-2010, 10:03 AM   #1
tiawood Female
I am New

tiawood is an unknown quantity at this point
star Are You A Single Struggling Mom?

I just wanted to share my story to encourage the single mothers out there.

It was 6 years ago when I last lived here in Florida. At the time, I had a job in addition to working for myself. I had my driver's license and a car. But I still struggled. Me and my daughter ended up living in a small hotel room. I lost my job. While working for myself brought in cash here and there it wasn't enough. I ended up having to break her piggy bank in order to buy groceries.

Fast forward 6 years later and I now earn enough from working for myself to support me and my daughter. We moved into a place a couple of months ago. I was married but found myself a single mother again. I'm not rich but there will be no more breaking piggy banks or living in hotels.

So what happened? I decided 6 years ago that life did not have to be that way. I worked my ___ off, I studied my ___ off on a daily basis ever since.

To all those struggling Moms who feel like things will never get better: they can. 6 years are going to pass no matter what you choose to do but it is up to you how you decide to spend them. A new life can start today and it can get better, one day at a time. The choices you make today truly do have an impact on your future.

Society expects single mothers to struggle, suffer and are at a disadvantage because of the lack of a spouse or partner. It doesn't have to be that way and it is in your control. But it all starts with today and how you choose to spend your time.

Take care, God bless and good luck.
tiawood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 10:10 AM   #2
Dad1st4boys Male
Failure is not an Option.

Dad1st4boys Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportDad1st4boys Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportDad1st4boys Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportDad1st4boys Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportDad1st4boys Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportDad1st4boys Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportDad1st4boys Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportDad1st4boys Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportDad1st4boys Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportDad1st4boys Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportDad1st4boys Has a SFV Diamond Heart of Support
Default Re: Are You A Single Struggling Mom?

Us Divorced Dads have struggles too. Money is just as tight and the budget need balanced. Mom or Dad, residential or sole custody parent has lots more responsibilities and costs then the non-custodial parent.

You are so right, it is not easy, but is can be none. Budget and stick to it.
Dad1st4boys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 10:18 AM   #3
tiawood Female
I am New

Aw, you are right. I'm sorry to not address the single Dads, too!

Budgeting is always smart, no matter the situation.
Old 06-08-2010, 10:45 AM   #4
comingup4air Female
Putting my child first...

comingup4air Is Rocken These Boards With Supportcomingup4air Is Rocken These Boards With Supportcomingup4air Is Rocken These Boards With Supportcomingup4air Is Rocken These Boards With Supportcomingup4air Is Rocken These Boards With Supportcomingup4air Is Rocken These Boards With Supportcomingup4air Is Rocken These Boards With Supportcomingup4air Is Rocken These Boards With Supportcomingup4air Is Rocken These Boards With Supportcomingup4air Is Rocken These Boards With Support

Great post Tiawood!! Hope it helps others and helps keep them going....
comingup4air is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 11:36 AM   #5
MotherBoard Female
Making The Magic Happen
Mother Of The Board

MotherBoard Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportMotherBoard Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportMotherBoard Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportMotherBoard Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportMotherBoard Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportMotherBoard Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportMotherBoard Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportMotherBoard Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportMotherBoard Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportMotherBoard Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportMotherBoard Has a SFV Diamond Heart of Support

singing to the choir here... yep dads too.
https://www.facebook.com/soloParent
MotherBoard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 11:48 AM   #6
comingup4air Female

comingup4air Is Rocken These Boards With Supportcomingup4air Is Rocken These Boards With Supportcomingup4air Is Rocken These Boards With Supportcomingup4air Is Rocken These Boards With Supportcomingup4air Is Rocken These Boards With Supportcomingup4air Is Rocken These Boards With Supportcomingup4air Is Rocken These Boards With Supportcomingup4air Is Rocken These Boards With Supportcomingup4air Is Rocken These Boards With Supportcomingup4air Is Rocken These Boards With Support

I love that saying Mom. Singing to the choir. We are all definitely in the choir. I sometimes wonder how many 'lurkers' on here our posts help.
Old 06-08-2010, 09:14 PM   #7
absfins Female
Parent on Board

absfins is just really nice

You know my idiot ex had the nerve to tell me that I didn't need much child support (I have sole custody of both kids that he sees a whopping 2x per year) because kids aren't that expensive. Meanwhile, he has no one to be responsible for except for himself and the 20 yr old that is living with him.

Thanks for the post...
absfins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 11:03 AM   #8
confused1996 Female
Board Beacon Parent

confused1996 has a brilliant futureconfused1996 has a brilliant futureconfused1996 has a brilliant future

tiawood Im on 13 years and like dad said it all means single parents learn to budget and concentrate on what matters. Also like moms phrase "sing to the choir." Life may feel like it sucks at time but then you turn around and see you son/daughter then you realize what life really is all about THEM. I love my life because my son is in it.
confused1996 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 11:12 AM   #9
Bluemoon Female
just an old hippie chick

Bluemoon Is a SFV Support LegendBluemoon Is a SFV Support LegendBluemoon Is a SFV Support LegendBluemoon Is a SFV Support LegendBluemoon Is a SFV Support LegendBluemoon Is a SFV Support LegendBluemoon Is a SFV Support LegendBluemoon Is a SFV Support LegendBluemoon Is a SFV Support LegendBluemoon Is a SFV Support LegendBluemoon Is a SFV Support Legend

Mom and the SFV choir......

Thanks for an uplifting post. We get so many shocked and bewildered ones here who cannot yet see there is any light at the end of the tunnel.
I hope they read your post and find new hope.
Bluemoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 11:30 AM   #10
YJL279 Female
Pray Until Smthng happens

YJL279 Is Rocken These Boards With SupportYJL279 Is Rocken These Boards With SupportYJL279 Is Rocken These Boards With SupportYJL279 Is Rocken These Boards With SupportYJL279 Is Rocken These Boards With SupportYJL279 Is Rocken These Boards With SupportYJL279 Is Rocken These Boards With SupportYJL279 Is Rocken These Boards With SupportYJL279 Is Rocken These Boards With SupportYJL279 Is Rocken These Boards With SupportYJL279 Is Rocken These Boards With Support

I too have been working and studying my boody off for the past 15 years and have acheived an education and a position in the federal government that will finally support me my children and my mother comfortably if I don't get stoopid! Dad is right, budget-budget-budget!!!!!

A strong positive mental attitude will create more miracles than any wonder drug. --Patricia Neal

To accomplish great things, we must not only act, but also dream; not only plan, but also believe. --Anatole France
YJL279 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 12:53 PM   #11
tiawood Female
I am New

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluemoon View Post

Mom and the SFV choir......

Ha Ha!
Old 06-22-2010, 12:18 PM   #12
jules123 Female
I am New

jules123 is a glorious beacon of lightjules123 is a glorious beacon of light

Thank-you so much to all of you who go above and beyond everyday for your children. You are amazing.
I grew up with a single mother, times were tough, But she always made the most of what we had, I always had food on the table and a roof over my head.
I sit here today a happy, university graduated, self sufficient woman, who has learnt so many wonderful life lessons.
I applaud each and every single one of you....(single mothers and fathers) who are working around the clock to ensure a good life for their children.
It may seem tough, and crippling sometimes but I can assure you that your children WILL thank you one day down the road. I cannot thank my mother enough with words..there just aren't any.
jules123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 12:22 PM   #13
comingup4air Female

What a great post Jules123!! Thanks so much for sharing.
Old 06-22-2010, 12:41 PM   #14
AamyluvroN Female
Lively & Zealous Parent

AamyluvroN has a brilliant futureAamyluvroN has a brilliant futureAamyluvroN has a brilliant future

great post. I am studying my ____ off right now and working. So I pray everything turns out well for me and my son in the years to come.
AamyluvroN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 04:41 PM   #15
absfins Female
Parent on Board

absfins is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by jules123 View Post
Thank-you so much to all of you who go above and beyond everyday for your children. You are amazing.
I grew up with a single mother, times were tough, But she always made the most of what we had, I always had food on the table and a roof over my head.
I sit here today a happy, university graduated, self sufficient woman, who has learnt so many wonderful life lessons.
I applaud each and every single one of you....(single mothers and fathers) who are working around the clock to ensure a good life for their children.
It may seem tough, and crippling sometimes but I can assure you that your children WILL thank you one day down the road. I cannot thank my mother enough with words..there just aren't any.
Shoot, I hope that my kids will one day have something nice like that to say in reference to how they were both raised. I worry daily that I'm screwing them up since I am raising them by myself. If someday my kids can say something along the lines of what you did, then maybe I'll have done allright with them.
absfins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 04:09 PM   #16
wolfes19728 Female
On the Board

wolfes19728 is an unknown quantity at this point

I hope there is a light at the end of the tunnel. I am going broke trying to put myself through school, lI will be done with my clinicals by November thank god. The kids don't understand why they can't have the things they used to have and why mommy is broke all the time so I hope one day when this is all done they will look back and be okay with the way they were raised, and not resentful that I couldn't provide better for them.
wolfes19728 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 11:37 PM   #17
gem20kbb Female
Board Blazen Parent

gem20kbb has a reputation beyond reputegem20kbb has a reputation beyond reputegem20kbb has a reputation beyond reputegem20kbb has a reputation beyond reputegem20kbb has a reputation beyond reputegem20kbb has a reputation beyond repute

thank you for this post it is exactly what I needed this evening.
gem20kbb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 11:49 PM   #18
MISST2 Female
Learning to Surf The Board

MISST2 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for sharing your story. It is hard sometimes but you know that all you do is to provide a good life for your children. My little one is my everyday motivation. They may not understand now but one day they will.
MISST2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 01:32 AM   #19
PDXMama Female
Learning to Surf The Board

PDXMama is a name known to allPDXMama is a name known to all

Thanks for this post. I am a single pregnant mom of 23 with no degree, a fair amount of debt, a job that has very little room to grow (but pays "ok") and has very little family. I'm scared witless about being able to provide for my child.

There is hope? Because I will work my ____ OFF to make it work. I grew up with lazy, selfish parents and will not put my child in that situation.

Thanks again.

Namaste
PDXMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 12:29 PM   #20
idig Female
SFV JUNKIE!!!

idig Is a SFV Support Legendidig Is a SFV Support Legendidig Is a SFV Support Legendidig Is a SFV Support Legendidig Is a SFV Support Legendidig Is a SFV Support Legendidig Is a SFV Support Legendidig Is a SFV Support Legendidig Is a SFV Support Legendidig Is a SFV Support Legendidig Is a SFV Support Legend

You have just joined a slew of people from various situations who have been scared ad witless about how we would provide for our kids and we have found a way. It takes creativity (learning to live off next to nothing at times ), ingenuity, and determination. For some of us the answer has been furthering education, for others we have found careers and jobs even when we lacked experience or had huge gaps when we were married. But it can be done, it's done all the time from a variety of people and situations. It is hard as ____ sometimes, but you find a way, find out what matters and really doesn't, and find joy amongst the craziness life can be at times.
Old 12-07-2010, 01:32 AM   #21
Viva La Vida Female
I am New

Viva La Vida is an unknown quantity at this point

I love your story. It's very close to my own. Six years ago I left my crazy husband with a two year old boy on my hands. I came from Europe and at that time I had no money , no friends, just so so english skills,very low payed job, no car... t
Today I'm independent strong woman, still young and hot, ha ha! I'm successful artist, running my own business. Started dating..
For parents that struggling I would say..
Seek for a right living for you and your child. No matter how hard it is , all world cares about you and you'll be fine Don't let the sorrow eat you up...

---------- Post added at 12:32 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:30 AM ----------

I love this post
Viva La Vida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 09:21 AM   #22
PrivateSchoolOC Female
I am New

PrivateSchoolOC is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello.

It was really sad to listen to all that happened with you in past .But don't worry things have changed and will change only for good.May god give you and your daughter everything you have wanted.

All the best.
PrivateSchoolOC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 12:05 PM   #23
lonelyscared Female
Board Member

lonelyscared will become famous soon enough

I can relate to your situation. When I had my daughter I was just 19 and had no where to go. When I decided to leave my daughters father I went to north Carolina with the hopes of starting over. Big mistake I went to live with my cousin big mistake cause she sucked me dry from the little money I had. I returned back to new York with nothing. A jetblue employee felt bad for me and my daughter and he gave Me money. When I got to my brothers apt I was outside in the cold for 4 hours waiting til he woke up. I'm not rich either but I can provide for my daughter. I have my masters and studying for my license.

and yes single dads do struggle. my ex had it easy his family took care of everything for him including trying to take custody of my daughter. the good dads always get a bad from the bad ones
lonelyscared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 09:08 AM   #24
PrivateSchoolOC Female
I am New

PrivateSchoolOC is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello Jules123,

That was a really sweet post.I guess a good way to show your concern to your mother.Well,All the best for your future.
PrivateSchoolOC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 01:44 AM   #25
1momma Female
Board Member

1momma is a splendid one to behold1momma is a splendid one to behold

I am new here. This is a wonderful post I really needed to read. Thanks so much for sharing. I hope to learn about, and from all of you.
1momma is offline   Reply With Quote