Wild Dancing Thanksgivng Turkey Spanking? - Single Parents Forum: Single Family Voices
All forums, topics and discussions are geared to single parents and the issues faced with single parenting.
Support a single parent today and one will support you back!

Go Back   Single Parents Forum: Single Family Voices >
(``'·.¸(``'·.¸ Single Parenting - Through The Ages¸.·'´´)¸.·'´´)
> Discipline

~ Donate Today ~ PLEASE

Old 01-31-2011, 08:06 AM   #1
Jamie's_Mum Female
English & proud

Jamie's_Mum has a reputation beyond reputeJamie's_Mum has a reputation beyond reputeJamie's_Mum has a reputation beyond reputeJamie's_Mum has a reputation beyond reputeJamie's_Mum has a reputation beyond reputeJamie's_Mum has a reputation beyond repute
Default Spanking?

Whats your take on it? Did/do you spank your child when they are naughty? Do you think spanking is a good or bad thing?

In the UK if you spank your child social services can intervene and you can get in trouble.
Old 01-31-2011, 09:00 AM   #2
idig Female
SFV JUNKIE!!!

idig Is a SFV Support Legendidig Is a SFV Support Legendidig Is a SFV Support Legendidig Is a SFV Support Legendidig Is a SFV Support Legendidig Is a SFV Support Legendidig Is a SFV Support Legendidig Is a SFV Support Legendidig Is a SFV Support Legendidig Is a SFV Support Legendidig Is a SFV Support Legend
Default Re: Spanking?

I think it depends on the child and on the situation. And the age too, past probably age 4 - no. I spanked, but rarely, I didn't have to often at all.
Old 01-31-2011, 09:09 AM   #3
Re-Mom Female
Mainiac

Re-Mom Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportRe-Mom Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportRe-Mom Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportRe-Mom Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportRe-Mom Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportRe-Mom Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportRe-Mom Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportRe-Mom Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportRe-Mom Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportRe-Mom Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportRe-Mom Has a SFV Diamond Heart of Support

It was rare and only for danger items for example, if they went into the road. A slap on the hand was more likely than a spank and again, for those dangerous issues like touching the stove.

Call me if you need a delivery....

|^^^^^^^^^^^^^^| ||
|.........WINE TRUCK.........| ||'|";, ___.
|_..._..._______===|=||_|__|..., ] -)
"(@)'(@)"" "''"**|(@)(@)*****''(@)
Re-Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 09:44 AM   #4
Jamie's_Mum Female
English & proud

Jamie's_Mum has a reputation beyond reputeJamie's_Mum has a reputation beyond reputeJamie's_Mum has a reputation beyond reputeJamie's_Mum has a reputation beyond reputeJamie's_Mum has a reputation beyond reputeJamie's_Mum has a reputation beyond repute

I ask because me and J's dad have different views on discipline, he spanks J when he's naughty abd i hate that, but its at the point now where J wont do a thing he's told and maybe if i spank him he will learn, i just cant bring myself to do it.
Old 01-31-2011, 09:57 AM   #5
Bluemoon Female
just an old hippie chick

Bluemoon Is a SFV Support LegendBluemoon Is a SFV Support LegendBluemoon Is a SFV Support LegendBluemoon Is a SFV Support LegendBluemoon Is a SFV Support LegendBluemoon Is a SFV Support LegendBluemoon Is a SFV Support LegendBluemoon Is a SFV Support LegendBluemoon Is a SFV Support LegendBluemoon Is a SFV Support LegendBluemoon Is a SFV Support Legend

We've had some lengthy discussions on this before. If you go to advanced search and key in "spanking" you should get some info on it...at least our thoughts on it.

I agree with those who have already posted here. I am not against spanking, but it would be basically a last resort.
For E, it never worked. All it did was make him really mad, and then he would try to hit me back. So, that was the end of that.

To disagree, one doesn't have to be disagreeable. ~Barry M. Goldwater and Jack Casserly, Goldwater

Life is all about how you handle Plan B. ~ off a Blue Mountain Arts calendar
Bluemoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 10:19 AM   #6
Mommyofone Female
Lively & Zealous Parent

Mommyofone has a brilliant futureMommyofone has a brilliant futureMommyofone has a brilliant future

when lil man was younger... it was more of a pop on his hand or on the ___ not a spank but spanking if done isnt the whole punishment... but it really depends on what it is to get one... more of the danger situations gets a spank other things but if he is hitting someone i wouldnt spank him i would do something else doesnt feel right to tell him no physical blah blah and then turn around and spank him but he response well with "how would u feel if it was done to you" and when he sees how he made someone else feel it sinks in better... if he steals... i take something he really wants and show how it feels to have someone steal his stuff... time outs happen too... i try to switch them up as much as possible so he doesnt get use to the punishment and it still has that omg really factor instead of ok ya im going to my room again... i really like the punishments if u cuss... u have to do physical labor like on a show "worlds strictest parents"... just notice what your child reacts the best with as far as the msg cause each child doesnt respond the same and if it works on one child it may not work on another...
Old 01-31-2011, 10:39 AM   #7
muskiedad Male
the one who babbles

muskiedad Is a SFV Support Legendmuskiedad Is a SFV Support Legendmuskiedad Is a SFV Support Legendmuskiedad Is a SFV Support Legendmuskiedad Is a SFV Support Legendmuskiedad Is a SFV Support Legendmuskiedad Is a SFV Support Legendmuskiedad Is a SFV Support Legendmuskiedad Is a SFV Support Legendmuskiedad Is a SFV Support Legendmuskiedad Is a SFV Support Legend

I'm not against it, but have never spanked my guys. If J is not doing what he is told, I would think spanking isn't going to help with that. He will prob. continue to dig in his heels. I think you have to out think him, to motivate him. Not sure exactly what he is not doing, but I think following thru on consequences would help here. "Clean up the mess or you don't get to do X" That type of thing.
My ex used to spank a bit. And then she would see one look from me would get the kids motivated, and she'd wonder how I had "control" and she didn't. And that is the key, finding a way to direct their behaviours.
muskiedad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 11:42 AM   #8
Dad1st4boys Male
Failure is not an Option.

Dad1st4boys Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportDad1st4boys Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportDad1st4boys Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportDad1st4boys Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportDad1st4boys Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportDad1st4boys Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportDad1st4boys Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportDad1st4boys Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportDad1st4boys Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportDad1st4boys Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportDad1st4boys Has a SFV Diamond Heart of Support

All the above a re correct. I have spanked, but rarely and for very specific reasons. It is important to remember that in disciplining a child that the punishment is to re-enforce that bad behavior has bad consequences and good behavior has good consequences.

Try this web site for ideas.

http://www.focusonthefamily.com/

I have a copy of Dr. Dobson's book on strong will boys! Oh, mine all fit Good news is they will not let other kids get them into trouble....they do it all by themselves
Dad1st4boys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 12:42 PM   #9
LSL Female
The blunt one;)

LSL Is a SFV Support LegendLSL Is a SFV Support LegendLSL Is a SFV Support LegendLSL Is a SFV Support LegendLSL Is a SFV Support LegendLSL Is a SFV Support LegendLSL Is a SFV Support LegendLSL Is a SFV Support LegendLSL Is a SFV Support LegendLSL Is a SFV Support LegendLSL Is a SFV Support Legend

Absolutely think spanking can be used to correct an issue, but as a last resort and never in anger.

---------- Post added at 08:42 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:41 AM ----------

Oh PS, I was spanked as a child and I grew up okay. Even love my parents very much.
Old 01-31-2011, 12:49 PM   #10
Jamie's_Mum Female
English & proud

I was brought up and got spanked too, never done me any harm.
Old 01-31-2011, 01:56 PM   #11
pumpkin33 Female
Parent on Board

pumpkin33 is a splendid one to beholdpumpkin33 is a splendid one to behold

I was spanked and I also spank my children when needed. But I haven't spanked them in such a long time. In the end it depends on the situation.
Old 01-31-2011, 07:13 PM   #12
muskiedad Male
the one who babbles

muskiedad Is a SFV Support Legendmuskiedad Is a SFV Support Legendmuskiedad Is a SFV Support Legendmuskiedad Is a SFV Support Legendmuskiedad Is a SFV Support Legendmuskiedad Is a SFV Support Legendmuskiedad Is a SFV Support Legendmuskiedad Is a SFV Support Legendmuskiedad Is a SFV Support Legendmuskiedad Is a SFV Support Legendmuskiedad Is a SFV Support Legend

I got spanked too, but not with a hand, it was with a wooden spoon. My dad was of the "hit first and neve ask questions" school of thought. Didn't matter to him "who started it" he just ended it.
muskiedad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 09:38 PM   #13
momofTDR Female
Marja

momofTDR Is Rocken These Boards With SupportmomofTDR Is Rocken These Boards With SupportmomofTDR Is Rocken These Boards With SupportmomofTDR Is Rocken These Boards With SupportmomofTDR Is Rocken These Boards With SupportmomofTDR Is Rocken These Boards With SupportmomofTDR Is Rocken These Boards With SupportmomofTDR Is Rocken These Boards With SupportmomofTDR Is Rocken These Boards With SupportmomofTDR Is Rocken These Boards With SupportmomofTDR Is Rocken These Boards With Support

I, too was spanked and without any reprocussions (however that's spelled!)

I spank on the rare occasion. It also depends on the kid....and the circumstance and the age. If I look at my daughter with that look she generally straightens up. Noah would not respond well...and Isaiah didn't seem to care what I did! LOL!
momofTDR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 10:24 PM   #14
sara1 Female
Setting New Standards

sara1 Has Heart and Soul of an Angelsara1 Has Heart and Soul of an Angelsara1 Has Heart and Soul of an Angelsara1 Has Heart and Soul of an Angelsara1 Has Heart and Soul of an Angelsara1 Has Heart and Soul of an Angelsara1 Has Heart and Soul of an Angelsara1 Has Heart and Soul of an Angelsara1 Has Heart and Soul of an Angelsara1 Has Heart and Soul of an Angelsara1 Has Heart and Soul of an Angel

Usually the steam that is pouring out of my ears is enough to set 'em straight. I think I may have spanked Ian out of gut clenching fear one time when he tied one end of his scarf to the bannister and one end to a stuffed animal to use as a seat and jumped over the balcony swinging on it above the steps. He was so tickeled with his wild ride I don't think he even noticed
Old 08-01-2011, 08:11 PM   #15
Amomfor2 Female
Board Member

Amomfor2 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie's_Mum View Post
Whats your take on it? Did/do you spank your child when they are naughty? Do you think spanking is a good or bad thing?

In the UK if you spank your child social services can intervene and you can get in trouble.
Hitting (and this is really what spanking is) anyone is wrong. Regardless of their age.

The UK has my kudos for standing up for the kids.
Amomfor2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 02:42 AM   #16
Tazie Female
Board Blazen Parent

Tazie has a brilliant futureTazie has a brilliant futureTazie has a brilliant futureTazie has a brilliant future

Personally I see nothing wrong with spanking but I will say that it doesn't work on all kids and after a certain age it doesn't work at all. I rarely have to spank, taking away his tv and computer time usually does the trick. But I do believe that some kids need a firm swat in the pants and those that do should get it. I was spanked and I turned out fine.
Tazie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 09:31 PM   #17
ShayMitch Female
I am New

ShayMitch is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tazie View Post
Personally I see nothing wrong with spanking but I will say that it doesn't work on all kids and after a certain age it doesn't work at all. I rarely have to spank, taking away his tv and computer time usually does the trick. But I do believe that some kids need a firm swat in the pants and those that do should get it. I was spanked and I turned out fine.
I am a non-spanking believer but a productive-punishment advocate.
ShayMitch is offline   Reply With Quote