Wild Dancing Thanksgivng Turkey Homeschool - Single Parents Forum: Single Family Voices
All forums, topics and discussions are geared to single parents and the issues faced with single parenting.
Support a single parent today and one will support you back!

Go Back   Single Parents Forum: Single Family Voices >
(``'·.¸(``'·.¸ Single Parenting - Through The Ages¸.·'´´)¸.·'´´)
> Homeschooling

~ Donate Today ~ PLEASE

Old 07-16-2014, 01:41 PM   #1
mommy22 Female
Board Member

mommy22 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Homeschool

I read that there are single parents that homeschool. I'm curious how it works. So if any of you homeschool what do you do about income?
mommy22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 06:14 PM   #2
Couperc Female
Parent on Board

Couperc has much to be proud ofCouperc has much to be proud of
Default Re: Homeschool

Good question, well for me, when I divorced my children were a bit older 13,14,16,18 now. Some finished in public school, some a mix of each, what was meaningful to me was that they liked and were engaged in their schooling choice. I still have 2 homeschooling at home. I worked some as a RN so the money was ok. There are RN jobs at home-called telenursing. Ok money as well, 2 year degree needed. There are online tutors for homeschooling, online schoolwork too, try alpha omega, its one of many.
Couperc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 08:40 AM   #3
hilthalt Female
Banned For Spam

hilthalt is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Homeschool

I used to be a stay-at-home homeschooling mum to my two kids but then we started planning to invest in some big property which my husband has wanted to buy since ages so there was a need to add to the family income. Hence I started working from home but then I was suddenly offered a job as an elementary teacher - this was something I loved and quite a lucrative offer - and so I couldn't say no. From that time onwards, I became a working homeschool mom.

Here are a couple of ideas for how you can work from home in case you don't feel the inclination to go out and work:
- You could be a bookkeeper. I'm talking about a telecommuting position wherein you'll be responsible for accounts payable, monthly journal entries, financial reports and maintaining general ledgers. (recommended only if math is your strength)
- Freelance copywriter is another thing you could easily take up. Best thing about this position is that prior experience isn't a prerequisite. Simply a bachelor's degree in English, journalism or marketing will hold you in good stead. A flexible schedule is an added bonus.
- Data entry (research assistant). This entails assisting with research tasks such as gathering and coding data and handling other administrative duties.

On the other hand,if you feel going out and working will fetch you a better pay package, then here's how your kids can be managed:
- First step would be to assess your schedule: are you full-time or part-time? Do you have weekends off?
- Look for the times you can prioritize for homeschooling. And then stick to it.
- Design your own curriculum for your kids instead of randomly picking up one of the existing ones. This way your child will cope better.
- Get creative. For instance, set some time aside for your kids to do online work which doesn't require much supervision, such as reading games . This will keep them happily occupied and they will be learning all the while as well.
- Devise an organizational plan that is creative and flexible, but don't obsess over every little detail. A little mistake here and another one there isn't going to result in any irreversible harm.
- Take help from a neighbor/good friend to babysit for a couple of hours while you are away.

I've been there, done that, hence all the suggestions. I read this somewhere and it's very true: Many people believe that working moms and homeschool don't mix. This is totally not true! You CAN work AND homeschool you children. All the best!
hilthalt is offline   Reply With Quote