Wild Dancing Thanksgivng Turkey 4 years old - Single Parents Forum: Single Family Voices
All forums, topics and discussions are geared to single parents and the issues faced with single parenting.
Support a single parent today and one will support you back!

Go Back   Single Parents Forum: Single Family Voices >
(``'·.¸(``'·.¸ Single Parenting - Through The Ages¸.·'´´)¸.·'´´)
> Discipline

~ Donate Today ~ PLEASE

Old 05-29-2006, 05:49 PM   #1
Dew
Setting New Standards

Dew is an unknown quantity at this point

he's 4 years old, almost, and he's absolutely driving me NUTS.
I just confiscated ALL his books because he ripped one of his nicest books again, instead of sleeping..it's almost 11pm !
WHAT DO I DO ?
He doesn't sleep at bedtime, and he destroys his books. He really loves the books, and the ones he destroys are often some of the ones he likes most. I think it doesn't mean the same to him. Ripping (or cutting up) his books probably doesn't really mean destroying them, to him ...? I don't know.
And the sleeping thing...we get up very early in the morning, and it's hard every single morning. Twice I've missed work because of this. I already take him to play outside or in the park, or bike riding, between school and dinner time (about 2 hours), but it makes me even more tired, and doesn't seem to have any such effect on him. I guess they have LOADS of energy at this age.
Otherwise he's such an easy and calm and understanding, and not at all annoying, and just really cool companion for most things..But this is driving me CRAZY.

Any ideas for a tired woman ?
Dew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2006, 06:38 PM   #2
Don Male
At A loss for Words - NOT!

Don will become famous soon enough

Hey Dew, is he taking naps during the day at school? What time is bedtime? Maybe it's just a phase he's going through with the energy, and the boredom if he isn't sleeping tearing up his books. What kind of foods/drinks is he consuming? I'm guessing you already are watching for sugar and/or caffeine but if not watch that closely...sodas obviously, most fruit drinks are loaded with sugar actually, things like that.
Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2006, 10:39 PM   #3
Zealand
Active Board Parent

Zealand is an unknown quantity at this point

My boy is just over 4. I found with him that if I did not get him to bed early enough then it is like a second wind and he would stay awake for hours. My boy needs to be in bed between 7.00 and 7.30 and he is asleep generally in less than 20 minutes but if I don�t put him down until eight then he is up and down like a yoyo and still going at 10 pm. Also I give him dinner around 5 most nights but always before 6 as I think that he needs time to settle before bed. Food too close to bed time seems to keep him awake.
My son once ripped a book but my reaction was so out of proportion to the �crime� he has never done it again. He has however destroyed toys and when I look back on it is when he has been overtired. I would do exactly as you have - confiscate the books and tell him how precious books are and that for a while you will only have books when you and he are reading together.
They are full of energy at this age (what age are they not????) but if he is anything like my boy then being tired makes him less likely to sleep. You could try coming back from the park a little earlier and letting him do something quiet at home and see if that makes any difference. I agree with Don carbonated drinks are the pits for hyping children up.
Good Luck
Zealand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2006, 02:40 PM   #4
Dew
Setting New Standards

thanks guys, thank you very much for your input...
Old 06-03-2006, 05:40 PM   #5
Zealand
Active Board Parent

Hey Dew,
How is it going? Have you had any early nights?! It is so tiring when they are not getting off to sleep.
I am having such trouble with this site and guess that others have not added their advice because it is so hard to.
Aroha
Old 06-03-2006, 06:16 PM   #6
Dew
Setting New Standards

well..today was one, kinda..

we walked virtually ALL DAY and went swimming for a half hour after that, and he went to sleep around 9PM ! I find the weekends easy, since I can control his activities.

The problem is, I have so little way to change his daily schedule, with school from 8 to 6 and then dinner and bed.

I guess I'll just have to wait for the next school year, where they won't have an afternoon nap any more. I suppose I will complain that he falls asleep during dinner time next year
Old 06-04-2006, 07:50 AM   #7
Zealand
Active Board Parent

Well with all that exercise you should be sleeping well!!!!!