Wild Dancing Thanksgivng Turkey how do you do it? - Single Parents Forum: Single Family Voices
All forums, topics and discussions are geared to single parents and the issues faced with single parenting.
Support a single parent today and one will support you back!

Go Back   Single Parents Forum: Single Family Voices >
(``'·.¸(``'·.¸ Single Parenting - Through The Ages¸.·'´´)¸.·'´´)
> Homeschooling

~ Donate Today ~ PLEASE

Old 12-31-2005, 11:36 PM   #1
msimone0205
I am New

msimone0205 is an unknown quantity at this point

As a single parent how do you homeschool? I would love to homeschool my kids(when the time comes) because the school district i live in SUCKS!!!!
Thanks
msimone0205 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2006, 09:48 AM   #2
homeschooling-single-mom-of-2
I am New

homeschooling-single-mom-of-2 is an unknown quantity at this point

Having support from family and friends helps when first starting out. Even if finances are tight, homeschooling (especially young children) can be quite inexpensive.

Homeschooling on a "shoestring budget" is very doable! Borrowing books from the library, going to the zoo, museums, nature walks and cooking in the kitchen together are all part of homeschooling.

Pick up a few workbooks from K-Mart, Target or Walmart stores, some cheap flashcards, and read alot to your child; and you will have an awesome foundation for education :-)

I hope this is helpful!

God Bless,
Katie
homeschooling-single-mom-of-2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2006, 01:59 PM   #3
msimone0205
I am New

msimone0205 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you for the website, i will take a look at it. Do you work from home, if so can you tell me what you do. When i was living with my stbxh we had made so many plans and one of them was for me to homeschool the kids and now that i am on my own with 2 kids i had it set in my head that i was going to do this and now that i think about it i dont know how i would be able to find the time to if i am working m-f 9-5. I still have a couple of years until my son starts kindergarden(he is 3) but i want to have all the info now.

Thanks so much
and God Bless you too.
msimone0205 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2006, 02:31 PM   #4
Rich-n-Andrew
Board Member

Rich-n-Andrew is an unknown quantity at this point

Home schooling can be better than a school district. But your child(ren) loose very inportant life skills buy being kept out of school... Pluse you need a teaching certifacation. Best thing to do is send them to school, and teach them what you want them to learn on the side... Tho bad school districts are becoming pandemic as politics and religion get more involved in them... WE being about the richest country in the world have the worst education system.. Heck some 3 world nations have better schooling than we do.. But, I do beleave sending kids to school, anyway.

Rich
Rich-n-Andrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2006, 12:04 PM   #5
homeschooling-single-mom-of-2
I am New

homeschooling-single-mom-of-2 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello,

Yes, I am working from home on the internet, doing many different things to create Internet Income. There are SO MANY things that can be done from home to make money, you just have to be very discerning and aviod the Scams!

I disagree with the last post completely, and I'm glad that your son is still young enough that you have time to research all the facts surrounding Homeschooling and a "Government education (indoctrination)".

Here is a super article relavant to this topic.
http://www.sierratimes.com/05/08/04/..._203_80242.htm

Your children do not lose "life skills" as the person who replied last indicated. This was certainly spoken out of ignorance to what homeschooling is.

Life Skills are things like cooking, cleaning, household duties, responsibility, etc... that will be done when a child has matured into adulthood. Those are things that can NOT be done while a child is sitting in a classroom 40 hours a week.

Homeschooled children are allowed to learn at their own pace with an individualized education (who knows your child better than you do?).

They are often more involved in community service, outside organizations, have plenty of opportunity with other children, and see the 'bigger picture' because they have the freedom to pursue their own interests.

Also, you do NOT have to have a teacher certification. I have only a highschool diploma and in most states that is all that is required. Check here for laws on your own state. http://www.HSLDA.org

God Bless You,
Katie
homeschooling-single-mom-of-2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2006, 02:41 PM   #6
Caitlin's Mommy
Board Member

Caitlin's Mommy is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally posted by homeschooling-single-mom-of-2:
[qb] Hello,

Yes, I am working from home on the internet, doing many different things to create Internet Income. There are SO MANY things that can be done from home to make money, you just have to be very discerning and aviod the Scams!
[/qb]
I sent you a PM. Any response would be much appreciated.
Amy
Caitlin's Mommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 04:24 AM   #7
jyotsna
I am New

jyotsna is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: how do you do it?

I'm homeschooling as a single parent and it can be done. I have made choices about living without certain things. For example I rent a house instead of owning. We cook all of our foods, and are trying to grow all of our veggies. I don't buy fancy clothing, and I repair what gets torn up. We shop at the second hand store. We dry our clothing on the line outside to keep the energy use low. We live in the south, and we have plenty of sun shiny days, so that is possible for us!

Try to get involved in a local homeschooling or unschooling network, forum, group ect.

Jyotsna
jyotsna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 09:59 AM   #8
childofares
Board Member

childofares is an unknown quantity at this point

If you decide homeschooling is truly not an option, have you considered perhaps a Montessori academy? Your son is 3 so it might be too late for the first year but they are extremely generous with grants/financial aid/payment arrangements. I love the fact that the kids don't move up grades in age, but ability and each kid works at their own pace. The one close to me, I can't wait to send my son too. I considered homeschooling, but I was home schooled for years and always resented my parents for it as well as having to struggle in college at the things my parents felt weren't important but colleges thought were. Course a lot of parents do manage a well rounded education so I guess it's all in style and education of the parent.
childofares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 02:13 PM   #9
snickermel
Parent on Board

snickermel is an unknown quantity at this point

After lurking for a while, I remembered that I was homeschooled in 2nd grade, I'm not sure why, maybe I was kicked out?
My mom used A Beka Books to teach us, and by the time we went to 3rd grade, my sisters and I were testing about 5-8 grade levels ahead of our classes. They had to start a TAG program for us, LOL.
I just googled A Beka Books and they are hardcore Christian, if that doesn't bother you, check them out!
We had no money but my mom did not have to pay for childcare and ran a daycare for other kids while teaching us. I believe we spent about two hours a day on "school."
Interestingly enough, when I was younger I attended a Montessori Academy and I loved that also!
My daughter has an Autism Spectrum Disorder and for the last year I have been teaching her on my own as her childcare "doesn't do school." I work full time but spend the whole three hours I spend with her in the evening reading, playing and holding her.
She went into kindergarten knowing first grade stuff.
The awesome thing about you teaching your kid is you know what motivates them, you know their likes and dislikes, and you can tell when they're bored and need to move on to something else.
It's great that you're thinking about this so early. =)
snickermel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 06:14 PM   #10
MotherBoard Female
Making The Magic Happen
Mother Of The Board

MotherBoard Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportMotherBoard Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportMotherBoard Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportMotherBoard Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportMotherBoard Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportMotherBoard Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportMotherBoard Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportMotherBoard Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportMotherBoard Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportMotherBoard Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportMotherBoard Has a SFV Diamond Heart of Support

when i was pregnant with my twins, oldest was kicked out of school for beating up a child.
So i homeschool him i used http://setonhome.org/

they help you in every aspect too. with local support groups, with get together, with grading and teaching styles. They loan you the books and all reading materal needed too and when that section is over or a year time, you return them.

Best thing i ever did, under the circumstances.
https://www.facebook.com/soloParent
MotherBoard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 04:16 PM   #11
acraisydaisy
Parent on Board

acraisydaisy is an unknown quantity at this point

I homeschooled my children for 6 years. This is their first year back in public school. I homeschooled the year before as a single mom. It helps to have alot of support from where ever you can find it. I didn't have alot and I allowed myself to get too stressed out...there was way too many problems that I had to deal with last year. Now that my kids are back in the public system...I am very unhappy. They are just finding too much trouble in the system. ...I had one teacher comment that my oldest son was at a disadvantage from being homeschooled....because of the whole socialization debate. I would love to have a sit down with him and tell him what fun we really had. There is so many options available to homeschoolers. I am in Canada and it depends where you are for how much is available to you to use when it comes to options. But I started homeschooling on the West Coast...and there was so much we could of done. My oldest daughter has completed afew levels in First Aid and got her ticket to be allowed to work in an environment serving food...called Food Safe. There is no greater feeling then teaching your children. I too used only Christian homeschool material...those were the happy days. I miss them very much. The public system, I don't think can compare. And our district sucks here too....I think we have had more problems since returning the public system then when we homeschooled. I am very biased...and the only reason my kids went back to public was because I could no longer manage myself and my stress was making me really ill. If you can do it, go for it. It is hard work, but the rewards are so rich!!! I still have all my books ...I wish I had the space to have them out, but I don't and I may have to start selling them.
acraisydaisy is offline   Reply With Quote