Wild Dancing Thanksgivng Turkey How much does a baby really cost??? - Single Parents Forum: Single Family Voices
All forums, topics and discussions are geared to single parents and the issues faced with single parenting.
Support a single parent today and one will support you back!

Go Back   Single Parents Forum: Single Family Voices >
(``'·.¸(``'·.¸ Single Parent Mothers ¸.·'´´)¸.·'´´)
> Pregnant and Alone

~ Donate Today ~ PLEASE

Old 11-24-2007, 11:35 PM   #1
Jmyatin187
I am New

Jmyatin187 is an unknown quantity at this point

I am 29 weeks pregnant. I have never been under so much stress in my life. I am a single mother with no help at all. I just found out that my mother and my boyfriend slept together. (I know jerry springer) I never thought this would happen to me. I mean come on it's my own mother. Anyways I can do everything on my own now. I just don't really know how much a baby really cost. Everybody says they are expensive what does that really mean? I know I have to think about diapers, formal, clothes, and bathing products. But is there any big things money wise I am missing? (Besides day care.) I am just so scared I won't have enough money with my bills. I really don't have anybody at all to help. I don't have any family. Besides my mom. And I really don't consider her my mom right now. I know this is long maybe it doesn't make sense. But my main question is: How much does a baby cost? Thank you so much for taking the time to even read this!
Jmyatin187 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2007, 04:36 PM   #2
schweetheart420
Learning to Surf The Board

schweetheart420 is an unknown quantity at this point

Babies born healthy to a healthy mom don't cost that much at first as long as you BUDGET. Apply for assistance with child care and if you don't qualify try nanny share, in home day cares or a stay at home mom willing to watch yours as well.

To budget you can breastfeed and avoid formula costs all together (see if you qualify for WIC!), get hand me down products and dont buy anything frivilous - save save save!

The bigger the baby the more expensive they are. Think birthday parties, xmas, school supplies & other school activities and functions. Once they are up and talking, they start WANTING, . Also, think about pictures you may have/want done of your baby, the baby book and all the little memory savers - most of these you can find ways to save or skimp but only if you think about it and plan for it ahead of time.

The other thing is medical costs. The first year they go to the doctor almost every month to every other month for check-ups and vaccinations. If they get a cold you may have to take them back in or get a prescription. I assume you have insurance so the co-pays should be part of your budget as well. If your city does not put flouride in the water then the dr may prescribe floride for you to rub on your babies gums everyday from about 4 months to a year. If you insurance doesn't cover it, it costs about $15 a month. Co-pays & prescriptions may not seem like alot but it adds up fast so you should definetly include it. Any insurance premium you pay may go up as well once the baby is born as you will no longer be paying for an individual but for a family plan.

Cut coupons, corners and apply for assistance everywhere (you may think you dont qualify but you MAY - they also sometimes make mistakes). And don't forget to apply for child support!
schweetheart420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2007, 07:41 PM   #3
missabb
Board Blazen Parent

missabb is an unknown quantity at this point

Dont let the financial aspect of having the baby frighten you too much. (I know--easy for me to say) I'm sorry to hear you are under so much stress. Babies are expensive. It sounds like you have covered the majority of the big expenses. As the baby gets older, these expenses do lessen (often replaced by other expenses, but we wont go there) I breastfed my duaghter, which means free food. Also very good for baby. As they get older, they need fewer diapers and eventually will potty train. Daycare also gets less expensive as time passes, and it does pass rather quickly. Also, babies and little kids dont care about having brand new clothes, so you can find quality used clothing that will look just fine.

If you are employed and feel you can deal with these expenses, you are off to a good start. \

You should contact your local social services agency for the following:
Child support (you should not be the only one worrying about this)
Programs to help with nutrition for expectant mothers and infants. (this can help with formula if you are unable to breastfeed). There are also programs to help with daycare if you are working and still having a hard time.

Take a deep breath. You will be ok.
Old 10-16-2010, 07:29 PM   #4
superyhang Female
I am New

superyhang is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: How much does a baby really cost???

beleive me, it's expensive!!!!
superyhang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2010, 07:50 PM   #5
Dad1st4boys Male
Failure is not an Option.

Dad1st4boys Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportDad1st4boys Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportDad1st4boys Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportDad1st4boys Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportDad1st4boys Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportDad1st4boys Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportDad1st4boys Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportDad1st4boys Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportDad1st4boys Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportDad1st4boys Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportDad1st4boys Has a SFV Diamond Heart of Support

As they grow and EAT..... the costs grow I have to get one beef and 2 hogs a year. I have three good freezers. Tue I will go get the 2 hogs and do the 1st step in the processing. Thur I will do the next and get the curing vats going. then about 2 weeks later I'll run the smoke house.... then Hams and Bacon, Sausage and chops. a few frest pork roasts too.
Dad1st4boys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2010, 11:50 PM   #6
Re-Mom Female
Mainiac

Re-Mom Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportRe-Mom Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportRe-Mom Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportRe-Mom Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportRe-Mom Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportRe-Mom Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportRe-Mom Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportRe-Mom Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportRe-Mom Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportRe-Mom Has a SFV Diamond Heart of SupportRe-Mom Has a SFV Diamond Heart of Support

Some things that haven't been mentioned other than clothing are gear... summer gear, winter gear, carraige, crib, bed/mattress, furniture, toys, tricycle, bike, helmets, etc. etc. It definitely adds up but if you are frugal you can do it a LOT cheaper than most.

I know yours isn't born yet, but a good idea is to go into knowing they do not NEED most of the things out there and stand firm when they do begin asking. don't get them used to extras and they wont' notice as much.

You can also call WIC now as a pregnant woman. You should be able to google the local office. It is a program for pregnant woman and children up to age 5 (I believe it is 5).
Re-Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2010, 02:07 AM   #7
Mommyofone Female
Lively & Zealous Parent

Mommyofone has a brilliant futureMommyofone has a brilliant futureMommyofone has a brilliant future

that is a big one to ask and is omg crazy amount.... Im not sure what age range your in or if you work or if u live at home or out on your own... I did it alone... My friends had a babyshower but even though it wasnt a big turn out everyone of them knew that i was about to struggle and literally bought me everything i registered and then the ones i didnt think of like medicene and gas stuff whips... diapers recommend open as needed cause depending on how fast they move up in size you might open to many packs and then cant return them for the right size.... My I hit sales on baby things and got my baby bed two car seats bouncy chair for 90 and then found some clothes too... i learned to stretch my money as far as i could go... I wouldnt use pampers or huggies unless they were free i would buy Parent Choice and Luvs (Parent choice while he was awake and then slept in luvs) I tried to get coupons for luvs too... then did Medicaid and wic which saved me so much... i made sure to save enough to get me through my materity leave since my job doesnt pay while im off... I bought generic majority of the time and they are not bad at all i now prefer the generic brands =D and thrift stores... i mean thats why washer machines are for and babys grow so fast so majority of the clothes look brand new... i even bought some of the toys from the thrift store of if i knew friends that had kids that werent using toys or clothes i would let them know if they need to clean out the closet just give me a call... I was able to get on a program that helped with child care while i worked... depending on paycheck they would pay a precentage........ im sorry what happen i dont know what your mom is saying and i hope she regrets it and is remorseful... I hope you and her will be able to bond again and i know what he id is horrible as well as her but remember to remain civil save emails and keep a journal of all things that could be helpful if you go to court... remember you dont have to add his name to the birth certificate and you do not have to to give the baby his last name... i hope you both can be civil toward each other for the childs sake. Has he said anything about being involved in the childs life?

---------- Post added at 12:03 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:02 AM ----------

it is til 5....

and if you make to much for Medicaid try doing Allkids

---------- Post added at 12:06 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:03 AM ----------

with medicaid... i didnt pay copays... prescriptions were a dollar and hospital bill for delivery .... i wasnt billed for it... i had a c section and they sent a statement for the cost... it was over 23000 and my friend same hospital and dr but hers was over 30 she was induced and then had to do a c section... so if u do have insurance still try to get medicaid to be a secondary coverage...

---------- Post added at 12:07 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:06 AM ----------

wow just realized this was done orginally in 07
Old 10-17-2010, 08:23 AM   #8
Bubba'sDad
Banned For Spam

Bubba'sDad Has Heart and Soul of an AngelBubba'sDad Has Heart and Soul of an AngelBubba'sDad Has Heart and Soul of an AngelBubba'sDad Has Heart and Soul of an AngelBubba'sDad Has Heart and Soul of an AngelBubba'sDad Has Heart and Soul of an AngelBubba'sDad Has Heart and Soul of an AngelBubba'sDad Has Heart and Soul of an AngelBubba'sDad Has Heart and Soul of an AngelBubba'sDad Has Heart and Soul of an AngelBubba'sDad Has Heart and Soul of an Angel

latest survey puts them at about $285,000 from birth to 18 yrs...

Bubba's gonna cost me more...could've bought 2 babies on the black market for what I paid to keep him
Bubba'sDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 12:54 AM   #9
gem20kbb Female
Board Blazen Parent

gem20kbb has a reputation beyond reputegem20kbb has a reputation beyond reputegem20kbb has a reputation beyond reputegem20kbb has a reputation beyond reputegem20kbb has a reputation beyond reputegem20kbb has a reputation beyond repute

I am sorry too hear of your situation very screwed up. I think everyone has covered most expenses. I know for me I sometimes always find a way too make it. Not always easy and bills get paid late but I feel I am doing well when I can just get by sometimes.
gem20kbb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 03:33 AM   #10
mykidisfirst Female
Social Director

mykidisfirst has a brilliant futuremykidisfirst has a brilliant futuremykidisfirst has a brilliant future

Some tips on saving now- Go to some of the different websites luvs, pampers, infamil, parent choice for coupons- they usually will send and thank you package for you on your baby- free samples of stuff. Love free samples.
Head to Walmart, Kmart wherever they have baby products ( car seat, pack and play, high chair, and or crib that you want/need and put one or two of these things on layaway and pay a little at time now. Consignment shops are great too. Start now so you wil not be overwelmed- make your list and just go down it. Then by the time you get get to your shower you can be specific on what you need.
For now please focus on yourself and your baby-Your relationship with your mom and the baby's father will have to wait especially if it stresses you out. Your baby is the most important thing and the stress that comes with trying to figure that situation out will wear you out.
mykidisfirst is offline   Reply With Quote